2 inch spacer lift vs 4 inch suspension lift and Death Wobble - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 2 inch spacer lift vs 4 inch suspension lift and Death Wobble

ARTEC JK UNDER ARMOR - 4 door Bellypan KitsSmittybilt Products at Oconee Off-Road!Advance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 03-08-2011, 11:42 AM   #1
BadKarma1701
2003 TJ Wrangler 

2 inch spacer lift vs 4 inch suspension lift and Death Wobble

I have 2001 Sahara with 82.000 miles and it is bone stock. I want to lift it and was looking at the zone 4 inch suspension lift. I have read all about death wobble on here and a guy came into my work with a 4 inch superlift. He said dont lift. it, that he gets DW at 45 and 60 mph. To be fair 2 rear and 1 front of his 33 inch tires were bald as all get out. I have crap luck, so i think if i lifted it i would get DW, the idea of this scares the crap out of me. much less paying all that money just to get a dangerous ride. So now i am almost going to go with a 2 inch spacer lift, even though it is not what i want. ok so heres my questions.

Do all TJ'S get DW when lifted?
with 82.000 miles is it more likely to get DW?
Will a spacer lift caues DW?
How much lift do you really get out of a 2 inch spacer lift?

Thanks for covering all 4 questions

"I came into this world kicking, screaming, and covered in someone else's blood and I'm damned sure going out the same way!"

Sienna Jeep Owners Member #56
BadKarma1701 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-08-2011, 11:46 AM   #2
GOLENJEEPTJ
Running Secretly Amok!

2002 TJ Wrangler 

No all TJs don't, when lifted properly.Did this guy explain what his 'Death Wobble' felt like to you?He obviously didn't set his jeep up properly.
GOLENJEEPTJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-08-2011, 11:50 AM   #3
TheBoogieman
Demonic Jeep Freak!

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Everything you just said is crap!You HAVE to align the toe in to 1/8" after any lift or it might not be driveable. DW doesn't happen at certain speeds,not balancing your tires does.Bald tires will give it to you with no lift.Lift your Jeep,align the front end(toe in)yourself in 10 minutes and ride on.Get the Zone 4.25" combo lift for a great riding Jeep.I have that with 35's.
TheBoogieman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-08-2011, 12:00 PM   #4
B52dude
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I have a spacer lift. No wobble at all.

#1 As mentioned-- No
#2 I hope not, cuz mine has 78K. But none as of yet.
#3 For the most part, no. Unless your suspension components need help in the first place.
#4 Depends on the brand. I went with Crawler Ready, and they have legit 2 inch spacers. Rubicon Express comes with 1.75 inch spacers, even though they say its 2 inches.

Hopes this helps.

Red Jeep Club #614
B52dude is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-08-2011, 12:42 PM   #5
BadKarma1701
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Everything i said was crap? What part? That I have a sahara with 82000 miles? I have read about DW? That a guy came in with a 4 inch lift, 33 inch bald tires and said he got DW with his 4 inch lift? Or that i have crap luck?

"I came into this world kicking, screaming, and covered in someone else's blood and I'm damned sure going out the same way!"

Unread 03-08-2011, 12:48 PM   #6
BadKarma1701
2003 TJ Wrangler 

The guy said it felt like he was going to crash at 60 mph and at 40 mph that was about it for a explaining and he stated a shop put it on for him. he did not say if he got it aligned, his mileage or if he beats his jeep.

Unread 03-08-2011, 12:49 PM   #7
Strossy
2004 TJ Wrangler 

All anyone is trying to say is that it doesn't matter what brand or size lift you go with, after it's finished it needs to be properly aligned ( preferably 1/8th toe in) and you'll be just fine. The alignment gets thrown way out of whack when you put the lift on, if it's not corrected expect "death wobble".
Unread 03-08-2011, 12:58 PM   #8
05TurboS2K
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I had DW with NO lift, completely stock jeep.
I lifted with a spacer 2" and got new tires and guess what NO DW!!!
I guess that means lifts = DW cure.

The truth is, tire balance is the problem and when I bought new tires they were balanced properly and the originals weren't.
05TurboS2K is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-08-2011, 12:59 PM   #9
biffgnar
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strossy View Post
All anyone is trying to say is that it doesn't matter what brand or size lift you go with, after it's finished it needs to be properly aligned ( preferably 1/8th toe in) and you'll be just fine. The alignment gets thrown way out of whack when you put the lift on, if it's not corrected expect "death wobble".
This is a bit of an oversimplification. Yes, alignment is important after a lift, but DW can still come with a perfectly aligned vehicle if steering components are wearing out (which is where higher mileage could come into play). But as others have said DW definitely not automatic and should be addressed if it arises.
Unread 03-08-2011, 01:10 PM   #10
Strossy
2004 TJ Wrangler 

"I had DW with NO lift, completely stock jeep.
I lifted with a spacer 2" and got new tires and guess what NO DW!!!
I guess that means lifts = DW cure
."

Unread 03-08-2011, 01:15 PM   #11
thirdeye
2004 TJ Wrangler 

DW wobble is always an on going thing. Especially when you wheel alot, and even more when you're riding stock steering and the miles are gettin high. The joints gotta go sometime.
Death wobble can always be cured, sometimes its just hard to find the exact cause.
If you're jeep is set up right and aligned properly after your lift install, there should be no problems. Take driveline into account also
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/thirdeyes-second-tj-1816002/
thirdeye is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-08-2011, 01:58 PM   #12
biffgnar
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirdeye View Post
Take driveline into account also
Driveline vibes are a problem that should be addressed but they are a separate problem from DW.
Unread 03-08-2011, 02:35 PM   #13
thirdeye
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by biffgnar View Post
Driveline vibes are a problem that should be addressed but they are a separate problem from DW.
correct. Just sayin it needs to be addressed when properly setting up a jeep or it won't drive nice either.
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/thirdeyes-second-tj-1816002/
thirdeye is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-08-2011, 03:01 PM   #14
tjhawx
2001 TJ Wrangler 

I've had the DW before and it was on a bone stock TJ unlimited with less then 50K miles. The fix was the steering stabalizer shock. I replaced that and it went away instantly. All research I've done on DW has pointed at the steering stabalizer.
tjhawx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-08-2011, 03:28 PM   #15
biffgnar
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjhawx View Post
I've had the DW before and it was on a bone stock TJ unlimited with less then 50K miles. The fix was the steering stabalizer shock. I replaced that and it went away instantly. All research I've done on DW has pointed at the steering stabalizer.
You must not have done much research then. Stabilizer will cover up other problems, but it is not the cause of DW.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.