2" BB Help please - JeepForum.com
Search  
Sign Up   Today's Posts
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 2" BB Help please

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit*VOTE NOW Help Metalcloak Giveaway an XJ Suspension*FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Reply
Unread 06-05-2011, 05:13 PM   #1
Agent620
Registered User
1999 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Classified, California
Posts: 1,048
2" BB Help please

So about 9 months ago I put on a 2" BB ((((This is the BB used http://www.4wd.com/Jeep-Lift-Kits-Je..._pn=W%2fI30721 ))))) and it looked like this
http://s225.photobucket.com/albums/d...rrent=0000.jpg Sorry but the IMG code isnt working for this picture.

Then 4-5 months later I was told it was in the wrong place. So now it sits here at the top with no bumpstop because there is no hole for the bumpstop to go through.


Now a few months even later and the spring is contacting the side and pushing the base out.



Tell me if it needs to go back on the bottom of the spring (I think it does) or should it stay on top and spread out? It never had contact or spread out on the bottom.

Agent620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-05-2011, 05:23 PM   #2
saint_louligan
Registered User
1997 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: St Louis, MO, Missouri
Posts: 210
Those spacers go above the spring like you currently have them, not below the spring like they were before.

It looks like they are rubbing on the front face of the rear springs, which is not a big surprise - the rear springs are not perfectly straight nor vertical. They curve slightly to the front - right where that light contact is happening.

It's not a problem at all, provided that the spacer doesn't start to deteriorate significantly.
saint_louligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-05-2011, 05:50 PM   #3
Mike_Motorbike
Registered User
2001 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: State of Confusion Ca.
Posts: 570
Those are weird spacers.....

You have got to have bumpstops.

If not you will blow out your shocks or even worse , brake a shock mount off...

Did they measure a full 2" ?? If so did you get new shocks.
If so You probly need bumpstop extensions.

That kit looks fishy....
__________________
JEEPING .....The art of getting dirty and going broke while slowy heading nowhere and taking all day to do it.....
2001 TJ 31"s 4.0L Auto , Blue , Soft Top , Full Doors. Home made BB 1 3/4" front 1" back...quick discos
Mike_Motorbike is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-05-2011, 06:25 PM   #4
Agent620
Registered User
1999 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Classified, California
Posts: 1,048
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_Motorbike View Post
Those are weird spacers.....

You have got to have bumpstops.

If not you will blow out your shocks or even worse , brake a shock mount off...

Did they measure a full 2" ?? If so did you get new shocks.
If so You probly need bumpstop extensions.

That kit looks fishy....
Yes I got new shocks, it did give me the 2" as well. So I have several people now saying to keep the spacers where they are and one that says I need bump-stops, if I put the bump-stops back on I will need to move the spacer back to the bottom. I do not have 2" bump-stop extensions for the 2" bb. Do I need them with the BB or am I good without? Should I keep it on-top of the spring or move the spacer below?
Agent620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-05-2011, 11:08 PM   #5
saint_louligan
Registered User
1997 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: St Louis, MO, Missouri
Posts: 210
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent620 View Post
Yes I got new shocks, it did give me the 2" as well. So I have several people now saying to keep the spacers where they are and one that says I need bump-stops, if I put the bump-stops back on I will need to move the spacer back to the bottom. I do not have 2" bump-stop extensions for the 2" bb. Do I need them with the BB or am I good without? Should I keep it on-top of the spring or move the spacer below?
According to the instructions, no bumpstop is needed, but it looks pretty fishy to me without something other than the spacer itself (granted, it does have a slight extension in the middle).

Here's what I'd do...

Disconnect the rear swaybar.

Remove the lower spring retainers (if any are there - mine didn't have rear retainers)

Jack-up the frame until the rear spring is loose enough to remove. If the rear wheel lifts first, then you may need spring compressors to remove it.

SLOWLY lower the jack, keeping an eye on the rear shock on the side where the spring has been removed... you want to test to see what the suspension travel limiter is. I'll bet it will be the shock before anything else.

If the shock is the limiter, you need some bumpstop AND you now know how much you need - just measure the space between your rear spring spacer (the lift spacer) and the lower spring perch and add .5 to .75 inch.

Buy aftermarket bumpstops (or fab something yourself) and install them on the lower spring perches. Most online vendors will list the dimensions of the bumpstop so you can get the right height for your situation. You just drill a hole in the center of the lower spring perch and bolt them on.
saint_louligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-05-2011, 11:36 PM   #6
Mike_Motorbike
Registered User
2001 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: State of Confusion Ca.
Posts: 570
OK with longer shocks for a 2" lift , you'll need 1" (or so)(maybe 1.5") bumpstop extension.......

It looks like you could just drill the center of that little extension and put the bolt from the original bumpstop through it and that would get it.... You may need a longer bolt though......

Like the last guy said you need to see were your shock bottoms out and make sure the bumpstop stops it , at least 1/4" before that.....
__________________
JEEPING .....The art of getting dirty and going broke while slowy heading nowhere and taking all day to do it.....
2001 TJ 31"s 4.0L Auto , Blue , Soft Top , Full Doors. Home made BB 1 3/4" front 1" back...quick discos
Mike_Motorbike is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-06-2011, 09:16 AM   #7
Agent620
Registered User
1999 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Classified, California
Posts: 1,048
When lowering how will I know what the limiter is without blowing my shock out? Do I need my tire off for this or do I leave it on? Should I just do the hockey pucks for the extensions or go aftermarket like JKS, Teraflex, or RE?
Agent620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-06-2011, 05:31 PM   #8
saint_louligan
Registered User
1997 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: St Louis, MO, Missouri
Posts: 210
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent620 View Post
When lowering how will I know what the limiter is without blowing my shock out? Do I need my tire off for this or do I leave it on? Should I just do the hockey pucks for the extensions or go aftermarket like JKS, Teraflex, or RE?
If you take it slowly, you won't damage the shocks.

After removing the sway bar & spring, you can either leave the wheel on and raise/lower the frame OR put the frame on jackstands and raise/lower the axle.

If you go aftermarket, make sure they mount to the bottom. You may, like the previous poster noted, be able to use the OEM bumpstop. I expect that upper cup (the 2" lift itself) is polyeurethane and somewhat pliable. If it's soft, the bumpstop puck material can be solid like steel or aluminum. Even a body lift puck would work.
saint_louligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-06-2011, 05:57 PM   #9
Unlimited04
This post/info=my opinion
 
Unlimited04's Avatar
2004 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Colorado
Posts: 23,177
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_Motorbike View Post
Those are weird spacers.....

You have got to have bumpstops.

If not you will blow out your shocks or even worse , brake a shock mount off...

Did they measure a full 2" ?? If so did you get new shocks.
If so You probly need bumpstop extensions.

That kit looks fishy....
x2.

needs bumpstop extensions bad. I don't care what the instructions claim, keep in mind they may have been written by morons. you need bumpstop extensions, especially in the rear with spacers.

Unlimited04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-06-2011, 06:06 PM   #10
Agent620
Registered User
1999 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Classified, California
Posts: 1,048
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unlimited04 View Post
x2.

needs bumpstop extensions bad. I don't care what the instructions claim, keep in mind they may have been written by morons. you need bumpstop extensions, especially in the rear with spacers.

My spacers are nothing like those and I never received instructions in the package or could find it online. I guess I will order bumpstop extensions and then move the spacers back to the bottom once I get them. Or should I just do the hockey puck extensions? Thanks for all the help.
Agent620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-06-2011, 06:09 PM   #11
Unlimited04
This post/info=my opinion
 
Unlimited04's Avatar
2004 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Colorado
Posts: 23,177
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent620 View Post
My spacers are nothing like those and I never received instructions in the package or could find it online. I guess I will order bumpstop extensions and then move the spacers back to the bottom once I get them. Or should I just do the hockey puck extensions? Thanks for all the help.
Spacers go on top. always.

bumpstop extensions need to be at least the same length as the spacer in the rear.

for the rear, get Performance Accessories "Mini-Block" body lift spacers, and longer bolts from the local hardware store. thats what budget boost companies use.

www.performanceaccessories.com click shop now.
Unlimited04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-06-2011, 06:19 PM   #12
Agent620
Registered User
1999 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Classified, California
Posts: 1,048
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unlimited04 View Post
Spacers go on top. always.

bumpstop extensions need to be at least the same length as the spacer in the rear.

for the rear, get Performance Accessories "Mini-Block" body lift spacers, and longer bolts from the local hardware store. thats what budget boost companies use.

www.performanceaccessories.com click shop now.
Thanks, but I cannot use my spacers and bumpstops together, because the spacers do not have holes for the bumpstops to pass through. In order to use bumpstops I will either need to move the spacers to the bottom of the spring, or get new spacers(which I would hate to do, but if I must I will).
Agent620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-06-2011, 06:26 PM   #13
Unlimited04
This post/info=my opinion
 
Unlimited04's Avatar
2004 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Colorado
Posts: 23,177
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent620 View Post
Thanks, but I cannot use my spacers and bumpstops together, because the spacers do not have holes for the bumpstops to pass through. In order to use bumpstops I will either need to move the spacers to the bottom of the spring, or get new spacers(which I would hate to do, but if I must I will).
You own a knife?
Unlimited04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-06-2011, 06:31 PM   #14
Agent620
Registered User
1999 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Classified, California
Posts: 1,048
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unlimited04 View Post
You own a knife?
Yea, better hope it doesnt ruin my spacer.
Agent620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-06-2011, 06:33 PM   #15
asa
Registered User
2000 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Danbury, CT
Posts: 239
if you want i am taking off my old BB i can give you the rear spacers.
__________________
2000 Sahara
SYE,Rough Country 4" X series lift, Currie HD Steering, Solid Diff Covers,Rough Country Steering Stabilizer, Poison Spider Steering Box Skid, Skid Row oilpan skid, Brown Dog 1 Inch Motor Mount Lift, JKS 1.25 Body Lift, JKS Quicker Disconnects, Currie HD Tie Rod, Optima Red Top Battery, Garmin Nuvi 200W GPS
NJM#48
asa is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
budget boost , help please
Thread Tools


Suggested Threads





Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.