2.5L TJ surged and died. No spark. Help please. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 2.5L TJ surged and died. No spark. Help please.

BLACK FRIDAY SPECIALS!! You asked, we deliver!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits

Unread 07-23-2011, 09:39 PM   #1
256ChiliPepper
1998 TJ Wrangler 

2.5L TJ surged and died. No spark. Help please.

Here's the story, little long, but questions are at the end.
Friday night I was cruising home in my 2.5L TJ 2200rpms, and 5th gear. My jeep surged down to 1800rpms and jumped back to 2200rpms. I pulled up to the light to turn left a couple hundred yards away and as i eased the clutch out to get going again it died. I thought I had stalled it, but it wouldn't start. It would crank and crank and crank, but wouldn't start up. I ended up having my neighbor tow me home with his jeep. We scratched our heads and tried a couple of things, but it still wouldn't start and we were stumped.

We scanned the computer for check engine codes we found a code for the ignition coil, coolant temperature sensor, and IAC valve (Sorry i didn't write down the codes as it was about 1am and i wasn't thinking) We also had my usual small evap leak and post cat O2 sensor codes that i have been driving with for 6+ months and never had a problem.

Now this morning I started going through stuff, checking everything, and changing some parts. I am getting fuel so it is not my fuel pump. Im not getting a spark so i started to check associated parts. Plugs, wires, cap, rotor, distributor are all only 2 years old but i checked them and they are all fine. I changed the ignition coil, pickup coil, and crankshaft position sensor, and it still isn't get a spark.

What sensors pull the spark if they aren't working right? Does the IAC valve and coolant temperature sensor prevent it from starting?Am I missing something? Could it be the computer?

All opinions are welcome. Thank you in advance.

256ChiliPepper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-24-2011, 09:37 AM   #2
256ChiliPepper
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Bump for some help. Ill have to drive a mini van till i get it fixed.
Unread 07-24-2011, 04:22 PM   #3
256ChiliPepper
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I figured it out, F21 fuse in the PDC was blown. I guess i should have checked them better.

Tags
2.5l , no spark

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.