2.5L Timing - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 2.5L Timing

End of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!2007 - 2011 Jeep JK Long Arm Lift KitsIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 08-26-2013, 11:57 PM   #1
Bogger28
2001 TJ Wrangler 

2.5L Timing

I know that this has been covered here before, but I need to dig a little deeper than has been discussed. I have an '01 TJ / 2.5L. I just installed a new rebuilt engine and am having some timing issues. I know that the service manual and member on here swear that you cannot adjust the timing, but I am not satisfied with that answer.

I have found that I can adjust the timing by putting the harmonic balancer at TDC "0" with the rotor facing the #1 plug on the distributer cap. In doing this you can either advance the timing or retard it by unbolting the distributer, pulling it out and turning the adjustment screw on the top of the oil pump. The3n when you put it back in the rotor will be moved to the new spot.

Now...with #1 at TDC and the HB at 0 on the timing reference guage my engine runs like poo. When I adjust the distributer as mentioned above it does get better. Although, there is a slight vergence in the force at times when I rev the engine. Is there a trick or technique to turning the distibuter only 1 tooth at a time, or is it all trial and error.

Also, with everything aligned the timing light at idle says that I am at about +8 TDC. This seems a little much since both the rotor, HB and #1 are where they need to be or so it seems.

I also hooked up my OBDII reader and it says that the "spark advance" is at 17.

Thanks to anyone that can explain this and help me out.

Bogger28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-27-2013, 12:50 AM   #2
M1Garand
2000 TJ Wrangler 

You sure the reason its running bad is the timing and not some other issue with your new engine?

New distributor, reman one or old one pulled from the bad 2.5?
Unread 08-27-2013, 11:21 AM   #3
Bogger28
2001 TJ Wrangler 

The engine is a new reman with a 7 year warranty. The distributer was pulled from the engine I had in it before. I have also suspected that it could be a small vacuum leak somewhere as well. It is just really weird that the service manual says that the timing should be set to zero and then the electronic timing will take over from there. It is really hard to get it close to zero
Bogger28 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.