2.5L Ticking - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 2.5L Ticking

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineToxic Brakes - 3000 PSI Braided Stainless Steel Brake LineCess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 05-08-2010, 04:42 PM   #1
Stoked99
1998 TJ Wrangler 

2.5L Ticking

Just started today - I start it up and there is a ticking sound coming from what seems like the lower back of the engine or the transmission. The noise stops after the engine warms up too. My dad thinks it may be a bad lifter, but if that were the case I think it would be idling rough. Did a few searches and found what some people think is a loose exhaust manifold bolt or a piston about to blow. Any other ideas on what it could be?

Vice President - Low Output 4 Cylinder Jeep Club
'98 2.5L - RC 2.5 - 33's - Beach Cruiser

"Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines" - Enzo Ferrari
Stoked99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-08-2010, 06:10 PM   #2
Finsup
1999 TJ Wrangler 

yeah mine ticks as well, sounds like a tractor when i first drive off. In my case it is a missing broken manifold stud. specifically the rear most one (closest to the fire wall). with it running i can feel the exhaust lightly puffing out there. hope this helps.

Low Output 4 Cylinder Jeep Club #453
Finsup is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-08-2010, 06:14 PM   #3
littledevilTJ
2004 TJ Wrangler 

check and make sure all your bolts holding the exhaust manifold are there and tight. i had the same issue and it was the very last bolt holding the exhaust manifold on, it busted off and was leaking.

Florida Specific Forum
www.floridajeepers.net
littledevilTJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.