2.5L Rough idle - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 2.5L Rough idle

JcrOffroad Black Friday Sale!Black Friday Sale - Deep Discounts from ExtremeTerrain.com6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!

Unread 10-10-2011, 09:28 PM   #1
chadrenner69

2.5L Rough idle

my 1997 wrangler se (automatic) today just started running very rough at a stop light, then as i was going under 30 to go park it would sputter and not let me accelerate ver much. After that i go to drive home and it does the same thing while i was going 45 mph. Then i get home to my apt. and as soon as i stop the rpms drop all the way until the engine was shaking violently so i shut it off. While looking under the engine i saw coolant spewed on the top of the fan shroud. The only thing done to this jeep is no ac and catback ehaust. Where should i even start looking for the problem at?

here is a video i just got of my jeep dying, maybe its the 02 sensors? its not trowing a check engine light at all?

Last edited by chadrenner69; 10-11-2011 at 04:49 PM..
chadrenner69 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-10-2011, 09:31 PM   #2
chadrenner69

I also noticed the rpms never stay in the same spot if this also helps
Unread 10-10-2011, 09:53 PM   #3
Cuder
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Welcome to JF.

When is the last time you did a tune-up?
Unread 10-10-2011, 11:04 PM   #4
chadrenner69

Thanks! I actually just got it about a month ago and am not sure when the last tune up was
I had planned on doing plugs, wires, cap, and rotor as soon as i get a chance. Should I look into getting authing else for it when i do that?
Unread 10-11-2011, 01:26 AM   #5
oakmckinley
1999 TJ Wrangler 

First I would resolve the failed radiator hose/hoses, if it even was a hose and not a hole in the radiator itself.
That coolant spraying all over could have caused all the other problems.
1964 Ford Fairlane 500
oakmckinley is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-11-2011, 08:59 AM   #6
chadrenner69

yeah thats what i was thinking at first, im going to get it checked out tomorrow because I cant spot where the leak is coming from
Unread 10-11-2011, 09:09 AM   #7
Cuder
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Look at the back/bottom of your water pump for leakage. It will drip out if the water pump is going bad. It's not that hard to replace. Then I would do a tune up and clean your throttle body and IAC.
Unread 10-11-2011, 09:23 AM   #8
chadrenner69

just checked there and it looks like its either coming from the radiator cap or the hose on the top, ho[efully its not a cracked radiator
Unread 10-11-2011, 04:50 PM   #9
chadrenner69

just edited main post with video of it stalling, what could have happened that just suddenly screwed up my jeep within the past 2 days
Unread 10-11-2011, 05:03 PM   #10
Line58
1998 TJ Wrangler 

The hose by the cap if overflow, I wouldn't expect it to be very high pressure (could be wrong). How do your operating temperatures look? Are you running hot? How do your coolant and engine oil look? Any fluids dripping from anywhere except for up front?
Line58 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-11-2011, 05:40 PM   #11
chadrenner69

everything is good everywhere else, runs normal temp (around 200), no leaks except around the radiator cap

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.