2.5l Jeep - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 2.5l Jeep

Attention to the TJ owners 1996-2006 NEW LED LIGHT OPTIONSOPTIC ARMOR WINDOWS all sale now !!!!!!!!FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 10-08-2002, 10:42 AM   #1
RDJP

2.5l Jeep

Are they really that bad? What can you do to get some more off roading power?

bell on the handlebar
RDJP is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-08-2002, 11:22 AM   #2
'drack

With larger tires the four cyl is only gonna hurt ya on the highway. Regear it and possibly add some gear reduction to the tcase and that'll give ya a great crawl ratio that'll keep you crawling on the trail. I've got a 4.0l, but with the wheeling I do, it's not overall horsepower, but crawling that makes a diff on the trail. You can outfit a 4 banger to excel rather easily .

Keith
Unread 10-08-2002, 12:37 PM   #3
WAC_Jeeper

1997 TJ Wrangler 

4 cly is fine off road, its just hilly freeway that gets it. If you regear properly though it should be fine. I've added a flowmaster exhaust, tbs and took off the intake restrictor and my 4cyl kicks *** with 31s.

97 TJ, MCE fenders and flares, heavily used and reliable on 35's.

MCE, LLC

Patented Off-Road Plastic "FLEXIBLE FENDER" - made in the USA - A Modern Twist on a Classic Icon

www.flexiblefenders.com

***LIKE us on Facebook! http://www.facebook.com/pages/Bothel...547844?ref=sgm***
WAC_Jeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-08-2002, 07:23 PM   #4
Tango

Quote:
Are they really that bad? What can you do to get some more off roading power?
there is a member in my Jeep club with a four cyl. 95 YJ and he never stops amazing me in some of the weeling he can do. we have been to Paragon in PA and did some rock crawling and he rock's in his 4 cyl

this is a list of his mods and he does a great job out there its kinda funny because all the other people out there kinda make smart remarks about his rig and then the get out performed

Mods:
32.5x9.5x15 Super Swamper TSLs
3.5" BDS Lift
Super 35 rear axle with OX Locker
D30 front with welded gears
Flat Fender
Revolver Shackles all around
DT Shocks
Mountain Offroad Shock Towers
Brake line extensions
Warn M8000 Winch
York On Board Air
Custom rocker panel protection.
Custom front and rear bumper plates with 7/8" (!!!) Shackles
Custom High Lift Jack mount
Custom High Power Stereo
Clinometer
K&N
Custom hand throttle
KC Daylighters
Wet Okle seat covers

and dont forget 70% is the driver.......

my point is nothing wrong with 4 cyl if thats what you want
good luck
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-10-2002, 09:12 PM   #5
Scafone
1998 TJ Wrangler 

4 bangin'

I have a 98 w/ a 4 banger & it sucks. I hate it. It really sucks trying to go the speed limit on highways & up hills.

HOWEVER....it doesn't prevent me from anything off road......exept maybe mud-bogging. The darn thing never ceases to amaze me & others. When there isn't enough power, there's always 4LO.

In my opinion, I made a big mistake by not spending more for a 4.0, but it doesn't stop me from 'wheeling very often. $.02
Scafone is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-12-2002, 09:07 AM   #6
Zach J.

Thinking of in it terms of it sucks/doesn't suck isn't exactly fair. Depends on what your using it for. My wife and I bought a 01 SE. it works perfect for us. Around town, quick 50-60 trips around the area to do a little off roading. 2nd and probably most important its not our main traveling vehicle. We Use the old 94 XJ or the tahoe for that.

Right after we bought it we decided to take it out to Colorado and do the wheeler lake trail. Man the way out there with the winds in western Ne and eastern Co, Sucked. But I figured out how it need to be driven. averaged 65-75 with no real problem. By the way it rocked on the tail... The wrangler design itself isn't a marvel of aerodynamic thought.

So in my signiture long winded style, keep your usage needs in mind. The four banger can surprise the hell out of you or really disappoint you.

"I got a jeep for my wife, best trade I ever made."
Zach J. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-12-2002, 11:30 AM   #7
TJBrowder

I bought the SE because I didn't want to spend 20K for a weekend toy.

Ended up spending more than I had planned to for the mods (lift, tires, KC's, armor, etc.)

If I had to do it again, I wouldn't change a thing....but, I use mine for weekend jaunts and off-road fun.

If you are going to do alot of freeway driving, you may want to consider a 4.0L.
'01 TJ, 3" BDS lift, OME LT Shocks, 32" Goodyear MT/R's, Eagle Alloy 1869's, Warn Rock-Slider rocker skids, JKS discos, KC's, Alpine deck, Infinity noise makers, Hi-Lift mounted on front bumper and fire extinquisher mounted on tranny tunnel......

[b]Green Jeep Club Member #6[/b]
TJBrowder is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-12-2002, 02:30 PM   #8
demtjcj

i had a 98 w/ 4 cyl and 33s. if you know how to run a 5sp, and dont mind running the engine hard, then it will work for you. i mean it sucks shifting alot, but if you dont mind then its okay. your best bet is to spend the 400/500 on gears, or just find a

1977 full size cherokee-401 v8, quadratrac dana 44s

prev. jeeps: 98TJ on 33s, 00TJ on 35s, 01TJ on 35s, 78CJ on 31s, 85XJ stock, 94ZJ stock, 97 TJ on 35s, 03 on 35s, 93 GC on 33s
demtjcj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-12-2002, 06:50 PM   #9
TroyBoyM
whatever

I've owned both a 4.0l and a 2.5l and there is a noticable difference between the 2 engines while cruising down the highway. I find that I feather the clutch often offroad but it's not the end of the world. I'd recommend doing all you can to open up the intake side of the engine as a great place to start. Good luck!
TroyBoyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-13-2002, 10:17 PM   #10
rbowling

I just purchased a 02 SE a couple months ago it is still stock but I am loving it...My brother in law has 35's on his SE he has recently put 4.88's in it though, but before that not a big deal. My other brother in law has a 98 sport, he can get up on the highway quicker then me however I am geared lower and can crawl just a little bit better.. I will be getting 33's and a 3 inch lift shortly we will see how it goes....But it was the right choice for me and the $...
rbowling is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.