2.5L 4 cyl. to LS1 V8 Conversion - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 2.5L 4 cyl. to LS1 V8 Conversion

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineOfficial Chassis Saver Rust Preventive Truck & Auto UnFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 01-26-2009, 02:49 PM   #1
pbj-tj
1997 TJ Wrangler 

2.5L 4 cyl. to LS1 V8 Conversion + TJ Build-up

"EDIT" To be more descriptive, this is a 1997 2.5 4cyl TJ to LS1 V8 swap. + Complete TJ Buildup.
The first few pages of this thread are just ideas that were being thrown around before this became a reality starting around page 4 or 5.

Hello all, brand new to the forums here. Relly enjoy the site and people from what i've been reading. Im a first time Jeeper, and recently purchased a 1997 TJ Wrangler, 2.5, manual trans.

I've had the jeep for about two months now, and relly RELLY want to ditch the 4 banger.

I have a 1991 Chevy Z71 sitting around, and would like to swap as much as possible from it into the jeep.

I have been doing searches on the site and educating myself on whats involved and how much money this conversion is going to cost.

If anything, there may be some great conversion threads I may have overlooked, if you would be so kind to paste in a few links to these threads or websites it would be greatly appreciated.

Here's what I think I am in for off the top of my head, your additions will be greatly appreciated also.

Things I need:
I have the 1991 Chevy Z71, I am going to use the 350 engine, and automatic trans, which I belive is a 4L-60 but I need to double check that. And also all the wiring and computer.

Would it be worth bothering trying to use the front or rear axles from the Z71? I am guessing not, but Im a total newb. Are either drive shafts from the z71 or stock jeep salvageable thru modification for the swap?

aside from the stuff I can pull off the z71, I know I will need
-exhaust system
-new radiator

but other than that can't think of anything off the top of my head.

Im planning on only spending 1500 on this swap, but realistically it will probably total 3000.

I would like to keep this thread as my "Build" thread as long as I can get some of you to help me out with tips and such throughout my journey to v8 goodness. Thanks a ton for any information or help!!!
-Paul

Last edited by pbj-tj; 06-02-2009 at 09:36 PM.. Reason: more descriptive swap
pbj-tj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-26-2009, 03:01 PM   #2
mgramann2

If you were nice on the pedal, you could get by. BUT--

I would look on CL for an old blazer. Swap the tcase, axles, etc. You will need to weld i'm sure to link the steering, and it will take alot of custom work-but will be a beast when you are done!
mgramann2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-26-2009, 06:29 PM   #3
BIGKURT666

a v8 would be sweet but have you every thought about a 4.7l stroker they can make about 300 hp and there isnt really any fab work needed and if you brake something you can go to the local napa and pick up the part instead of having to order or make the part.
BIGKURT666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-26-2009, 07:23 PM   #4
LJameson
1990 YJ Wrangler 

^I'm assuming he wants to do the 350 from the Z71 because he has it already. If you don't mind spending money on a motor swap, a stroker would be a better choice then the old 350 IMHO. The TBI 350's only made roughly 210-220 Hp. A simple stroker will get you to 260 hp. It'd make it easier to pass inspection (although I don't know how it is where you live), maintain OEM reliability, and less complicated when you have to work on it (as in getting parts, diagnosing problems etc.).

I also noticed you're running 33's on stock gears. You can regear for a lot less then a motor swap, that should bring back the performance. 33's on stock gears w/ a 4 cyl. is terrible. I can see why you want more power, but you will see a huge improvement if you just re-gear.

-Chris LeDoux

I never could figure what the sky was thinking, but the soil, she don't keep too many secrets.
LJameson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-26-2009, 07:29 PM   #5
pbj-tj
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGKURT666 View Post
a v8 would be sweet but have you every thought about a 4.7l stroker they can make about 300 hp and there isnt really any fab work needed and if you brake something you can go to the local napa and pick up the part instead of having to order or make the part.
I relly know nothing about the 4.7 liter stroker at all, this does seem like something I would possibly be interested in. Do you have any other info? is the 4.7 a gm motor? Mopar? v6 or v8? Thanks for your advice!
Unread 01-26-2009, 07:33 PM   #6
LJameson
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbj-tj View Post
I relly know nothing about the 4.7 liter stroker at all, this does seem like something I would possibly be interested in. Do you have any other info? is the 4.7 a gm motor? Mopar? v6 or v8? Thanks for your advice!
Its the 4.0 stroked to 4.7.

-Chris LeDoux

I never could figure what the sky was thinking, but the soil, she don't keep too many secrets.
LJameson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-26-2009, 07:40 PM   #7
pbj-tj
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepfreak4life7 View Post
^I'm assuming he wants to do the 350 from the Z71 because he has it already. If you don't mind spending money on a motor swap, a stroker would be a better choice then the old 350 IMHO. The TBI 350's only made roughly 210-220 Hp. A simple stroker will get you to 260 hp. It'd make it easier to pass inspection (although I don't know how it is where you live), maintain OEM reliability, and less complicated when you have to work on it (as in getting parts, diagnosing problems etc.).

I also noticed you're running 33's on stock gears. You can regear for a lot less then a motor swap, that should bring back the performance. 33's on stock gears w/ a 4 cyl. is terrible. I can see why you want more power, but you will see a huge improvement if you just re-gear.
I may have filled in the information incorrectly about my gearing. The previous owner may have swapped out the gears. It was unknown to me, thats why I filled in stock, as a default guess

when I first got the jeep, with the 33" swampers. I couldnt even maintain 65 mph in overdrive (5 speed manual trans). but I could keep it at 65mph in 4th gear running about 3100rpms.

I have since downsized the tires for everyday driving, and now can maintain 70mph on flat roads at around 2900rpms, it will slow down quite a bit going up hill anywhere from 65mph, and even 60 on the steeper incline highway hills.
That is the most annoying, plus there is zero passing power.

I still have the 33's and will throw them on for days when I will be off-roading, but the kill me for everyday drivers to work, not to mention the rubber wont last long on the swampers on the highway.

I am very interested to hear more about the 4.7 stroker, but like you said, ya I have the z71 trans,motor, electrical and whatever else I can use off it for free right now. Not sure what road to go down. Thanks for helping a fellow Jeeper out man!
Unread 01-26-2009, 07:42 PM   #8
danielgoforth
1997 TJ Wrangler 

That V8 is only rated at 210hp, so you may want to consider other options if you are looking for power. If you truck is a half ton it will most likely have a 700R4, the 4l60E was introduced in 91 for 3/4 ton and up. Also, unless someone did a solid axle swap on your truck you probably don't want to use the front drive line because it is an IFS truck. The rear 10 bolt probably isn't worth the swap effort.

danielgoforth is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-26-2009, 07:44 PM   #9
danielgoforth
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Oh and most importantly check your swap laws, they may require the donor vehicle to be the same year or newer.

danielgoforth is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-26-2009, 07:53 PM   #10
pbj-tj
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielgoforth View Post
That V8 is only rated at 210hp, so you may want to consider other options if you are looking for power. If you truck is a half ton it will most likely have a 700R4, the 4l60E was introduced in 91 for 3/4 ton and up. Also, unless someone did a solid axle swap on your truck you probably don't want to use the front drive line because it is an IFS truck. The rear 10 bolt probably isn't worth the swap effort.
Ya it is a 1/2 ton, so probably have the 700r4.

is it true, that the 700r4 is not desirable in our jeeps? I seem to remember everyone recomending the 4l60

Man, having the free truck with the v8 is starting to sound like its not worth the effort to swap into the jeep. Kind of a shame to because it runs real good....hmmmmmmmmm Stil thinkin about it though, I can still rebuild the 350 and get her to 300hp, without an insane amount of cash...
Unread 01-26-2009, 07:54 PM   #11
Giviner
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I have been researching a Gen3 v8 swap myself. I compiled a bunch of build threads and info here:

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/chev-gen3-engine-swap-info-compilation-677831/

That might give you a better idea as to what you're up against.
Giviner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-26-2009, 08:17 PM   #12
pbj-tj
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giviner View Post
I have been researching a Gen3 v8 swap myself. I compiled a bunch of build threads and info here:

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=677831

That might give you a better idea as to what you're up against.
Some great info. in there, thanks man
Unread 01-27-2009, 07:21 AM   #13
mgramann2

http://www.angelfire.com/my/fan/stroker.html

We used this site when we built a stroker.
mgramann2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-27-2009, 07:54 AM   #14
tjthorson
2013 JK Wrangler 

Well - a stroker may be a good option for someone that HAS a 4.0 - it would be just as difficult for him to swap to a 4.0 stroker off the 2.5 as to put in a v8 of some sort....

I will tell you the right way to accomplish this - unless you want to swap engines for the sheer enjoyment of it. If the goal is to stay in the $1500-$3000 budget and get your jeep functioning better on the roads with 33s - sell your jeep as is - and sell the truck - and buy a wrangler with a 4.0 in it.... then with all the extra cash and time you have - swap out the gears for 4.56s - throw on your 33s - and enjoy!

You may not want to hear that - and its not as glamorous as an engine swap.... but - that is absolutely going to be the most economical way to get you where you want to be - and with the least amount of work, sweat and effort....

I had a TJ with a 4.0.... and was looking at upgrading the stock axles for about $2500 total with gears, lockers, super35, etc.....

i ended up selling my TJ for 16,500 and buying an Unlimited Rubicon for $17,500. Not only did i get the lockers, heavy duty axles, 4:1 TC - I got an extra foot of room in the Jeep.

Trust me on this - if your goals are really what you say they are - find a 4.0 with a dana 44 rear TJ, sell the other two vehicles as is - and go jeeping....
Orange Crush Jeep Club Member #50
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Gecko Green (Wife's DD)
Gecko Green Jeep Club Member #1
2005 Yellow Unlimited Rubicon (sold)
My Band! -> http://www.forgethannah.com
http://www.toddsplace.com
tjthorson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-27-2009, 08:21 AM   #15
BIGKURT666

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjthorson View Post
Well - a stroker may be a good option for someone that HAS a 4.0 - it would be just as difficult for him to swap to a 4.0 stroker off the 2.5 as to put in a v8 of some sort....

I will tell you the right way to accomplish this - unless you want to swap engines for the sheer enjoyment of it. If the goal is to stay in the $1500-$3000 budget and get your jeep functioning better on the roads with 33s - sell your jeep as is - and sell the truck - and buy a wrangler with a 4.0 in it.... then with all the extra cash and time you have - swap out the gears for 4.56s - throw on your 33s - and enjoy!

You may not want to hear that - and its not as glamorous as an engine swap.... but - that is absolutely going to be the most economical way to get you where you want to be - and with the least amount of work, sweat and effort....

I had a TJ with a 4.0.... and was looking at upgrading the stock axles for about $2500 total with gears, lockers, super35, etc.....

i ended up selling my TJ for 16,500 and buying an Unlimited Rubicon for $17,500. Not only did i get the lockers, heavy duty axles, 4:1 TC - I got an extra foot of room in the Jeep.

Trust me on this - if your goals are really what you say they are - find a 4.0 with a dana 44 rear TJ, sell the other two vehicles as is - and go jeeping....
this is very true. maybe you should just save up the money n buy a rubi or a tj with a 44 n a 4.0l n go from there. or you could go to a junkyard but then who nos what your getting
BIGKURT666 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.