2.5" OME Springs with Skyjacker Hydro shocks - JeepForum.com
Search  
Sign Up   Today's Posts
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 2.5" OME Springs with Skyjacker Hydro shocks

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFlowmaster's Force II Axle-back exhaust system for the 201FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Reply
Unread 05-18-2010, 09:14 AM   #1
ChrisTJCO
Registered User
1997 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Denver
Posts: 554
2.5" OME Springs with Skyjacker Hydro shocks

I'm thinking about piecing together a "kit" using the Old Man Emu 2.5" Springs (OME932 front, OME941 rear - these are listed on Rocky Road Outfitters as "medium springs" but I think they're really just the light ones). I was going to pair these with Skyjacker Hydro Shocks (4 for 109 bucks after rebate from 4wheelcustoms).

Anyone running this set-up? How does it ride on/off-road?

I have a 6 cyl with a hardtop (though it's topless in the summer), if that matters.

I looked into the RC 2.5" lift and after reading through almost the whole ridiculous 300 page thread, I'm not sold. Sounds like there are a lot of problems with the shocks leaking and the springs sagging and I'd rather not mess with that. From my understanding the OME springs are very high quality and the Skyjackers...well...they're pretty decent and the price is right.

Thoughts please?

__________________
[CENTER][FONT="Book Antiqua"]White-Out Jeep[/FONT]

Colorado Jeep Club Member #230[/CENTER]

Last edited by ChrisTJCO; 05-18-2010 at 09:25 AM..
ChrisTJCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-18-2010, 09:39 AM   #2
-dirt-
Registered User
2005 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Montgomery, AL
Posts: 1,007
I'll be installing OME HD coils (933, 942) with Hydros this weekend, if all goes well. I will let you know how they ride. I'll also be installing JKS arms.
-dirt- is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-18-2010, 09:42 AM   #3
ChrisTJCO
Registered User
1997 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Denver
Posts: 554
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirt_j00 View Post
I'll be installing OME HD coils (933, 942) with Hydros this weekend, if all goes well. I will let you know how they ride. I'll also be installing JKS arms.
What made you choose the HD over the Light Duty? I'm not sure which one would be better for me. Like I said, I have a hardtop though I do take it off in the summer. Other than that, the vehicle is stock (no winch, stock bumpers, etc).
__________________
[CENTER][FONT="Book Antiqua"]White-Out Jeep[/FONT]

Colorado Jeep Club Member #230[/CENTER]
ChrisTJCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-18-2010, 09:44 AM   #4
pdangerp
Senior Member
 
pdangerp's Avatar
2004 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Fair Oaks, CA
Posts: 735
I'm working on a system with RC 2.5" springs and Rancho RS9000XL shocks. Make sure you are pairing the right length shock with the spring you're purchasing. Also, make sure to tune your bump stop length to your setup.
pdangerp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-18-2010, 09:46 AM   #5
ChrisTJCO
Registered User
1997 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Denver
Posts: 554
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdangerp View Post
I'm working on a system with RC 2.5" springs and Rancho RS9000XL shocks. Make sure you are pairing the right length shock with the spring you're purchasing. Also, make sure to tune your bump stop length to your setup.
I think I should be good as far as shock length. The Skyjacker Hydro I'm buying says for vehicles with 1"-3" of lift. I suppose I'll have to check out the bumpstops after the install, correct?
__________________
[CENTER][FONT="Book Antiqua"]White-Out Jeep[/FONT]

Colorado Jeep Club Member #230[/CENTER]
ChrisTJCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-18-2010, 09:46 AM   #6
-dirt-
Registered User
2005 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Montgomery, AL
Posts: 1,007
In short, a ton of reading on here!

I have a Rubicon with a hardtop, so I'm already used to a higher spring rate (i.e. firmer ride). I also plan to add a winch and tire carrier bumper at some point, so these shouldn't sag (as much) once I upgrade.

It is my understanding that the light springs are for 4-cyl., soft-top TJs.
-dirt- is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-18-2010, 09:51 AM   #7
ChrisTJCO
Registered User
1997 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Denver
Posts: 554
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirt_j00 View Post
In short, a ton of reading on here!

I have a Rubicon with a hardtop, so I'm already used to a higher spring rate (i.e. firmer ride). I also plan to add a winch and tire carrier bumper at some point, so these shouldn't sag (as much) once I upgrade.

It is my understanding that the light springs are for 4-cyl., soft-top TJs.
Good to know - I have neither the 4 cyl or the softtop, so I think I'll upgrade it to the HDs!

Did you buy a rear trackbar bracket? And while I'm at it, where did you purchase your coil springs?
__________________
[CENTER][FONT="Book Antiqua"]White-Out Jeep[/FONT]

Colorado Jeep Club Member #230[/CENTER]
ChrisTJCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-18-2010, 09:56 AM   #8
-dirt-
Registered User
2005 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Montgomery, AL
Posts: 1,007
I am still debating over my track bar options, both front and rear.

I am going with a High-Clearance skid in the future, so that would require a CV-driveshaft. That style driveshaft usually requires a CV-style track bar bracket.

If I wasn't going the CV/TT route, I would probably go with the JKS OGS153 track bar for the rear.
-dirt- is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-18-2010, 10:04 AM   #9
-dirt-
Registered User
2005 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Montgomery, AL
Posts: 1,007
I found the rear ones used on eBay. The front ones were the cheapest I could find on the net here: Off Road Accessories for Hummer, Jeep, Toyota FJ Cruiser, and all other 4x4 vehicles and SUVs. Type OME933 or OME942 (or whatever) to find the individual springs. I couldn't find them by browsing the tabs, but the search pulled them up. $69.99 each.

Also regarding the track bars: with just 2.5" lift, I don't think the axle will be shifted enough to cause major issues. I plan to see how much they are off, then go from there.
-dirt- is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-18-2010, 10:05 AM   #10
ChrisTJCO
Registered User
1997 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Denver
Posts: 554
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirt_j00 View Post
I am still debating over my track bar options, both front and rear.

I am going with a High-Clearance skid in the future, so that would require a CV-driveshaft. That style driveshaft usually requires a CV-style track bar bracket.

If I wasn't going the CV/TT route, I would probably go with the JKS OGS153 track bar for the rear.
Cool, thanks. I think I'm pretty much sold on this set-up:

2.5" HD OME Coils, Front and Rear - $328 shipped
Skyjacker Softride Hydros for TJs with 1"-3" of Lift - $145.88 - $35 rebate = $110.88 shipped
OME Rear Track Bar Bracket (in case I need it) - $21.00 shipped
and I'll just use washers to drop the T-Case Skid if need be.

I think that'll be a pretty decent set up for $450 bucks!
__________________
[CENTER][FONT="Book Antiqua"]White-Out Jeep[/FONT]

Colorado Jeep Club Member #230[/CENTER]
ChrisTJCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-18-2010, 10:11 AM   #11
ChrisTJCO
Registered User
1997 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Denver
Posts: 554
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirt_j00 View Post
I found the rear ones used on eBay. The front ones were the cheapest I could find on the net here: Off Road Accessories for Hummer, Jeep, Toyota FJ Cruiser, and all other 4x4 vehicles and SUVs. Type OME933 or OME942 (or whatever) to find the individual springs. I couldn't find them by browsing the tabs, but the search pulled them up. $69.99 each.

Also regarding the track bars: with just 2.5" lift, I don't think the axle will be shifted enough to cause major issues. I plan to see how much they are off, then go from there.
That places "price" is lower for me - $69.99 compared to $75 at Rocky Road, but their shipping to Colorado is crazy - 90 bucks compared to around 20.
__________________
[CENTER][FONT="Book Antiqua"]White-Out Jeep[/FONT]

Colorado Jeep Club Member #230[/CENTER]
ChrisTJCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-18-2010, 10:14 AM   #12
-dirt-
Registered User
2005 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Montgomery, AL
Posts: 1,007
That's odd. The shipping for me was $32.33 to Alabama. And get this: they shipped from Washington State! I would say CO is much closer! Guess there may be more to it than distance.
-dirt- is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-18-2010, 10:19 AM   #13
ChrisTJCO
Registered User
1997 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Denver
Posts: 554
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirt_j00 View Post
That's odd. The shipping for me was $32.33 to Alabama. And get this: they shipped from Washington State! I would say CO is much closer! Guess there may be more to it than distance.
Weird. Very confusing. I also just tried changing it from shipping to my office in Boulder to my home in Denver...and it made it more expensive (from $88 to $91). Oh well...Rocky Road it is!

Please let me know how the install goes and what you think of it! I'm going to be installing this by myself (and it's my first lift kit...) so I can use all the info I can get!
__________________
[CENTER][FONT="Book Antiqua"]White-Out Jeep[/FONT]

Colorado Jeep Club Member #230[/CENTER]
ChrisTJCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-18-2010, 11:00 AM   #14
SYN ACK
Registered User
2001 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Johns Creek, GA
Posts: 394
I'm curious why not OME shocks? Price? How much more do the OME cost over the Skyjacker?
__________________
Are you new? Own a TJ? Want a TJ?
Everything you need to know is here: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/tj-tech-boot-camp-must-read-new-tj-owners-forum-members-722109/
SYN ACK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-18-2010, 11:06 AM   #15
ChrisTJCO
Registered User
1997 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Denver
Posts: 554
Quote:
Originally Posted by SYN ACK View Post
I'm curious why not OME shocks? Price? How much more do the OME cost over the Skyjacker?
Price. It'd be about $320 + Shipping for 4 OME Nitrochargers shocks, compared to $110 (after the $35 rebate) including shipping for the Skyjacker Softride Hydros.

The OME ones are better shocks I'm sure, but I'm not gonna drop an extra 200+ on them.
__________________
[CENTER][FONT="Book Antiqua"]White-Out Jeep[/FONT]

Colorado Jeep Club Member #230[/CENTER]
ChrisTJCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Suggested Threads





Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.