Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

2.5" lift price from shop

1K views 15 replies 9 participants last post by  grininmonkey 
#1 ·
A couple weeks ago I got a quote for a 2.5" rough country suspension lift. The shop said it would be $850 all in and I was wondering if this is a fair price or if I'd be better off looking elsewhere/doing it myself. I don't have a lot of mechanical experience and neither does my dad so that's why it seemed like a solid idea to get it done by a shop. I'm also looking at the rubicon express budget boost kit, so I'm wondering if I get a lot more going with the rough country kit.

#7 ·
NO,if you are going to do this don't break the golden rule- "Do it once- Pay Once"

The quote was including the install. Thats the main reason I was looking at the rough country.
An afternoon,with basic tools and you could do this yourself,even if you have to buy or borrow the tools you'll still save yourself a ton of money.
Many auto parts stores will give you the tools to use free with a deposit
Area Jeepers will be more than willing to help you.
My advice,slow down,learn all you can by reading and find someone to help you if you feel that you can't do it yourself.
I don't even know you but would bet that you can handle this on your own.

#8 ·
Like others have said learn how ro do it yourself. Find locally Jeepers to help. Many like RC springs, few like their shocks.

Different springs are designed to carry different amounts of weight. Come up with your plan how what you want to do and how you want to build your jeep.

If you want lots of armor, heavy bumpers and tire carrier and you want to load your Jeep down for camping you will want different springs then if you don't add much weight to your jeep.

If you just have to do it now I would go with a budget boost and good shocks. For many that is all they need. A budget boost isn't much money to spend so when you figure out what you really want you won't be out allot of money.

As far as the golden rule? Most don't just do it once and you don't need to spend thousands and thousands to build a capable jeep.

Get out on the trails, find other jeepers in your area and see how they have built their Jeep and what they say works for them.

#16 ·
I installed the RC 2.5 spring and shocks in my driveway and it only took a few hours. The most time consuming part is taking off tires, un-bolting track bars, sway bars in order to drop axles far enough to clear removal and install of springs and putting it all back together. The RC shocks are "not bad" sorta, meahh... for the cost, they have been the best riding "cheap" shock I have had... better than Skyjackers which it replaced for sure.

If you don't have jack stands... buy a good "tall" set now.. as every Jeep owner who want to tinker with it... is going to need a good "tall" set or two.... frequently. And what I mean by tall is, not the little things from wal-mart that fully extended only make 15 inches or something.

I concur with the other folks... do a lot of forum reading and learn what you can. But from my experience as easy and inexpensive as the 2.5 kit is from RC... 2.5 is in that spot between a basic budget boost and 3" which 50/50 will result in the need to address the drive line, rear trackbar raised bracket, adjustable front track bar, t-case transfer lever body mount elimination kit of some kind.... just to name of few things that quickly resulted from 2.5" lift.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.