2.5 Jeep is Sputtering, pulling hair out to fix - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 26 Old 04-03-2009, 06:37 AM Thread Starter
pbj-tj
1997 TJ Wrangler 

2.5 Jeep is Sputtering, pulling hair out to fix

Hi All.

1997 TJ, with 2.5 manual transmission.

I have seen multiple people on here with this problem, and other threads but I dont remember seeing what the most common fix is.

My Problem:

When the jeep is somewhat cold, just after start up, it takes off smooth until around 2500 rpm's then it starts to sputter. I can either give it more gas or let of the throttle and it goes away. The sputtering is worse when the jeep is cold... When the jeep is hot the sputter does not happen as often but it still does happen. And it is dumping extra fuel because of this and running very in-efficient.

I have had it to autozone twice to get a code read out. Its not throwing a specific code for a sensor. but it does recognize there is a misfire happening.

I recently did a tune up:

-New Champion plugs (properly gapped)
-New premium wires
-New premium distributer cap, and rotor.

I relly think this problem is temperature related based on whats happening, things left to check...

-TPS (but its not throwing a code)

-MAF (not throwing a code)

-o2 sensor (not throwing a code)

-Dirty injectors (dont belive this is the problem, because it would run crappy all the time and I run injector cleaner during every oil change)

I relly dont know what to do here, am I missing something?
Not looking forward to replacing expensive sensors that are not throwing codes anyway?

Thanks a ton for your input!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 Old 04-03-2009, 08:05 AM Thread Starter
pbj-tj
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Anyone? Pweese?
post #3 of 26 Old 04-03-2009, 08:10 AM
NotURMailman
Web Wheeler

2005 TJ Wrangler 

When you tuned it up did you change your air filter and fuel filter? I doubt this is the problem, but I would suggest it with the tune-up anyway and it can't hurt. Also, I'm not sure if thet year 4cyl has a PCV valve and breather filter or not, but if so change them as well.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
equipped... And loving it!

I drive on the right side, what's wrong with you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deacon View Post
It's difficult to take you seriously. It's like you're an easily perturbed autistic teenager who's drunk typing the whole time.

post #4 of 26 Old 04-03-2009, 08:16 AM Thread Starter
pbj-tj
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I did forget to do the fuel filter, although I agree with you that that is not the problem. I am going to fix that tonight just so its done.

Air Filter is new also.

Need to get to the bottom of this mess....
post #5 of 26 Old 04-03-2009, 08:19 AM
tjthorson

2014 JK Wrangler 

Fuel filter CAN be the problem. If the fuel is being restricted slightly - it will run better when warm, because the engine requires less fuel when warmed up. You use more fuel to keep a cold engine running - and it might be over the threshold - especially since it is RPM related. You may also have a fuel pump starting to go, but I suspect the fuel filter is clogged. When was the last time (if ever) it was changed?

If you replace it and still have it - I might move to the crank sensor (if the 4 banger has one?)

Todd Thorson
2013 Jeep Wrangler Sport Orange Crush
Orange Crush Jeep Club Member #50
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Gecko Green (Wife's DD)
Gecko Green Jeep Club Member #1
2005 Yellow Unlimited Rubicon (sold)
My Band! ->

post #6 of 26 Old 04-03-2009, 08:21 AM
NotURMailman
Web Wheeler

2005 TJ Wrangler 

I would be tempted to suspect an O2 sensor. The only way to be sure without a code is to use a scanner and watch the readings from the sensor while the engine is running. I'm not sure when in VA you are, but I'm about 30 minutes from South Boston and I have a scanner.

-

Quote:
It's difficult to take you seriously. It's like you're an easily perturbed autistic teenager who's drunk typing the whole time.
post #7 of 26 Old 04-03-2009, 08:22 AM
NotURMailman
Web Wheeler

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjthorson View Post
Fuel filter CAN be the problem. If the fuel is being restricted slightly - it will run better when warm, because the engine requires less fuel when warmed up. You use more fuel to keep a cold engine running - and it might be over the threshold - especially since it is RPM related. You may also have a fuel pump starting to go, but I suspect the fuel filter is clogged. When was the last time (if ever) it was changed?

If you replace it and still have it - I might move to the crank sensor (if the 4 banger has one?)
But, yes the fuel filter absolutely CAN be the issue, although I doubt it. That's why I suggested that you change it.

-

Quote:
post #8 of 26 Old 04-03-2009, 08:41 AM Thread Starter
pbj-tj
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks for offering up the scanner Les.D I greatly appreciate it.
I am about 1 hour from richmond Va, down in hampton roads.

I do not know if the 2.5 has a crank sensor, maybe someone else on here can verify that?

I will swap out the fuel filter tonight, and see what happens. I will thank the heavens if it fixes the problem, but im not holding my breath. But man that would sure be nice.

Thanks for the input guys, I think we have covered almost all the possibilities?

I traded my motorcycle for the jeep, and it has a re-man engine in it, so who knows when the maitnence was done, Im basically going through it to make sure everything is up to par.
post #9 of 26 Old 04-03-2009, 08:44 AM
Grecy

2011 JK Wrangler 

I was driving my 2000 2.5 the other day and for the first time ever, I thought that it spluttered a few times.
It was definitely when it was cold and went away when hot.

It was definitely when under acceleration, but I rarely rev it to 2500 so it was down lower.

I'm super curious if you find a fix.

-Dan
post #10 of 26 Old 04-03-2009, 09:05 AM
ZekeJeep
1997 TJ Wrangler 

have the same jeep, had the same prob. tried the same stuff you have until it finally gave an O2 code. replaced the pre cat sensor and all is well. $51 at autozone.
post #11 of 26 Old 04-03-2009, 09:07 AM Thread Starter
pbj-tj
1997 TJ Wrangler 

So called Car Quest and Autozone, and the do not carry a fuel filter for my Jeep??

Called the dealership and they are telling me its $110.00 part, and I need to drop the tank and possibly remove the fuel pump?? Is this true?? WOW.

Do most people relocate the fuel filter, so it is not a nightmare to change out?

The fuel pump itself was $250, and probably includes the fuel filter, seems like that may be the smartest thing to change If I have to drop the freakin fuel tank....
post #12 of 26 Old 04-03-2009, 09:23 AM
irishgearhead
2007 JK Wrangler 

FUEL FILTER/FUEL PRESSURE REGULATOR

The combination Fuel Filter/Fuel Pressure Regulator is located on the fuel pump module. The fuel pump module is located on top of fuel tank.

The filter/regulator may be removed without removing fuel pump module although fuel tank must be removed.

REMOVAL

1 Remove fuel tank. Refer to Fuel Tank Removal/Installation.
2 Clean area around filter/regulator.
3 Remove retainer clamp from top of filter/regulator (Fig. 11) . Clamp snaps to tabs on pump module. Discard old clamp.
4 Pry filter/regulator from top of pump module with 2 screwdrivers. Unit is snapped into module.
5 Discard gasket below filter/regulator (Fig. 12) .
6 Discard 0-rings on bottom of filter/regulator (Fig. 13) . If the smallest of the two o-rings can not be found on bottom of filter/regulator, it may be necessary to remove it from the fuel inlet passage in fuel pump module.

INSTALLATION

1 Install new 0-rings to grooves on filter/regulator. Apply a small amount of clean engine oil to o-rings.Do not install 0-rings separately into fuel pump module. They will be damaged when installing filter/regulator.
2 Install new gasket to top of fuel pump module.
3 Press filter/regulator into top of pump module until it snaps into position (a positive click must be heard or felt).
4 The arrow (Fig. 11) on top of fuel pump module should be pointed towards front of vehicle (12 o'clock position) .
5 Rotate filter/regulator until fuel supply tube (fitting) is pointed to 10 o'clock position .
6 Install new retainer clamp (snaps) to top of filter/regulator.
7 Install fuel tank. Refer to Fuel Tank Removal/Installation.
post #13 of 26 Old 04-03-2009, 09:24 AM
irishgearhead
2007 JK Wrangler 

did you check the coolant temp sensor. if its reading-40* its possible to cause these symptoms?
post #14 of 26 Old 04-03-2009, 09:42 AM Thread Starter
pbj-tj
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZekeJeep View Post
have the same jeep, had the same prob. tried the same stuff you have until it finally gave an O2 code. replaced the pre cat sensor and all is well. $51 at autozone.
Thanks, I may do this, i'd just HATE to waste $50 if it does not work, whattcha gonna do....

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishgearhead View Post
FUEL FILTER/FUEL PRESSURE REGULATOR

The combination Fuel Filter/Fuel Pressure Regulator is located on the fuel pump module. The fuel pump module is located on top of fuel tank.

The filter/regulator may be removed without removing fuel pump module although fuel tank must be removed.

REMOVAL

1 Remove fuel tank. Refer to Fuel Tank Removal/Installation.
2 Clean area around filter/regulator.
3 Remove retainer clamp from top of filter/regulator (Fig. 11) . Clamp snaps to tabs on pump module. Discard old clamp.
4 Pry filter/regulator from top of pump module with 2 screwdrivers. Unit is snapped into module.
5 Discard gasket below filter/regulator (Fig. 12) .
6 Discard 0-rings on bottom of filter/regulator (Fig. 13) . If the smallest of the two o-rings can not be found on bottom of filter/regulator, it may be necessary to remove it from the fuel inlet passage in fuel pump module.

INSTALLATION

1 Install new 0-rings to grooves on filter/regulator. Apply a small amount of clean engine oil to o-rings.Do not install 0-rings separately into fuel pump module. They will be damaged when installing filter/regulator.
2 Install new gasket to top of fuel pump module.
3 Press filter/regulator into top of pump module until it snaps into position (a positive click must be heard or felt).
4 The arrow (Fig. 11) on top of fuel pump module should be pointed towards front of vehicle (12 o'clock position) .
5 Rotate filter/regulator until fuel supply tube (fitting) is pointed to 10 o'clock position .
6 Install new retainer clamp (snaps) to top of filter/regulator.
7 Install fuel tank. Refer to Fuel Tank Removal/Installation.
Thank you Very much for this ^ it would have been a later question, very awesome man. And no I have not checked the coolant temp sensor? any idea where I can find this? I did notice the over-flow bottle is not mounted correctly from the re-man swap the previous owner did, maybe he messed up the sensor too.
post #15 of 26 Old 04-03-2009, 03:46 PM
irishgearhead
2007 JK Wrangler 

The coolant temperature sensor is installed in the thermostat housing
REMOVAL
1 Partially drain cooling system until coolant level is below cylinder head.
2 Disconnect coolant temperature sensor wire connector.
3 Remove sensor from thermostat housing.

INSTALLATION

1 Apply sealant to sensor threads (new replacement sensors will have sealant already applied).
2 Install coolant temperature sensor into thermostat housing. Tighten to 11 Nm (8 ft. lbs.) torque.
3 Connect wire connector.
4 Fill cooling system.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.