2.5 exhaust manifold stud alternative - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 2.5 exhaust manifold stud alternative

End of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!

Unread 01-06-2014, 07:19 PM   #1
Karottop
1998 TJ Wrangler 

2.5 exhaust manifold stud alternative

Hey there

I've got a low output 2.5 intake manifold leak at the head. I have the replacement gasket n all ready to put on. While I'm at it I plan to replace the exhaust manifold because i understand they're prone to cracking n they're dirt cheap as far as exhaust manifolds go. Given the common broken stud phenomenon that plagues these motors, I want to try n use an alternative to the factory hardware.

My question is, can/should I use stainless steel hardware for the manifolds (except the thick factory washers)? If so where can I find stainless steel studs for the front n back of the exhaust? The local hardware stores don't have stainless

I've looked on the Internet til my eyes dried up trying to find someone who makes em n found nothing

If you wouldn't use stainless, what would you use? If grade 8 breaks it will be hell getting out, grade 5 will rust fast n brass is.. Crap

Karottop is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-07-2014, 03:48 AM   #2
Jeepsr4me

I never had a issue with the stock ones. WHEN they are put in right. The studs on each end butt up to the head bolts in the head.
So if you try out new bolts, remember those ends need the studs as there is not a lot of thread to pull a bolt up tight. AND that is the biggest issue folks have. They take all the bolts and studs out and dont remember what goes where. Then try to put bolt in the stud holes. Yes they fit and will tighten up. But not tight enough to prevent a leak. As the bolt bottoms out when it hits the head bolt shaft.
I dont remember why I dont use stainless bolts and nuts to hold exhaust manifold to head. Something to do with galling or the stainless dont hold well in hot areas. I know there is a good reason not to use it. But good ole grade 3 or 5 works well.
Jeepsr4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-07-2014, 06:43 AM   #3
TJ4Jim
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Stainless hardware will probably just snap when you torque it down as it has nowhere near the strength of grade 8 bolts. Go with the right hardware and anti-seze.
TJ4Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-07-2014, 07:58 AM   #4
JStMarie
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Karottop - Just curious, where are you finding this "dirt cheap" manifold? I've got a 2.5l and I'll be needing a manifold soon (before my next inspection, damn MA liberal bistards )
JStMarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-07-2014, 03:00 PM   #5
Karottop
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks fellas, this is great info!

I know that stainless does well under heat, but both points about galling and snapping makes a lot of sense.

Is it ok to put anti-seize on exhaust bolts? Are you worried at all that they'll back out or loose tension from the vibration? are you using lock washers at all?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JStMarie View Post
Karottop - Just curious, where are you finding this "dirt cheap" manifold? I've got a 2.5l and I'll be needing a manifold soon (before my next inspection, damn MA liberal bistards )
I guess its a matter of perspective. I got mine at napa for just under $100.. but that is still $100. I used to have an old toyota pickup n a new manifold for that motor ran well in to $300 when I went to buy on back than. However I just checked how much it is now n its like 70 bucks on rockauto so maybe I misspoke
Karottop is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-08-2014, 09:41 AM   #6
JStMarie
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I guess its a matter of perspective. I got mine at napa for just under $100.. but that is still $100. I used to have an old toyota pickup n a new manifold for that motor ran well in to $300 when I went to buy on back than. However I just checked how much it is now n its like 70 bucks on rockauto so maybe I misspoke
That's a lot cheaper than I've been seeing. Good deal , I'll be picking one up in the short term.

Thanks.
JStMarie is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.