2.5 Exhaust Manifold Help(just finished) - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 Old 07-01-2012, 04:19 PM Thread Starter
chukky82
1998 TJ Wrangler 

2.5 Exhaust Manifold Help(just finished)

I just finished replacing the exhaust manifold on my 98TJ 2.5 after numerous little issues and setbacks. I thought I would post this to help anyone out there who may be attacking this same project.
1. It's not really a necessity but it is very helpful at times if you have an extra hand around.
2. Take your time, pay attention to what bolts go where and such.
3. Follow this link.....I used the same procedure.
http://dailydriventj.com/forum/viewt...haust+manifold
4. Just about every thread I looked at before doing this talked about broke stud bolts. Well I had one too. The back one by the firewall to be exact. No others broke. I sprayed them with PB for a week. The back one was already broke about 1/8" in the block. Be prepared to handle this.....we pulled my head to be able to drill and use easy out.
5. When putting it back together everything is fairly easy. But be careful on the injectors if you pulled them. Grease the crap out of the o rings on both ends and be very careful not to pinch them with the fuel rail. I went through about 5 or so. But we finally got it right.

This is not an impossible job to do at home. I did not get a quote from a shop to do it but I imagin it would have been way more expensive considering the work and potential headaches. If you are doing this and have a question maybe I can help. Enjoy.....btw my jeep sounds so much better now. Completely worth it.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 07-02-2012, 07:46 AM Thread Starter
chukky82
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Maybe someone out there could rename this. It is meant to be a help to anyone wanting to do their manifold. I see now how the title could come across as just another help wanted with exhaust thread. Thanks.
post #3 of 4 Old 07-02-2012, 07:53 AM
flnbar
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Good pointers. I did this myself after pinpointing a huge intake leak which was throwing codes and having her run like crap. Thankfully I didn't have to deal with broken studs but, I definitely recommend upgrading your hardware to keep it from happening in the future. Another process I found extremely helpful was labeling each item I removed and placing it in a plast baggie (if possible) so I knew exactly where it went during the reinstall.

A local shop wanted to charge me over $500 for this job. It cost me less than $50 to do it at my house.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 4 Old 07-02-2012, 08:35 AM Thread Starter
chukky82
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Aside from what I paid in parts I have no doubt I saved a decent amount of money. Yes it took me a while because of hangups but it still ended up being a good learning experience and I have noone to blame if there is any issue. I like learning and being able to do most of my own stuff. Saves cash and gives ya a sense of pride in your own vehicle.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.