2.5 to 4.3 swap - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 2.5 to 4.3 swap

Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits Rough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!Looking to re-gear?! CRAZY DEALS ON YUKON GEARS right here

Unread 04-14-2013, 11:04 PM   #16
Mcjeeperson
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Wrapped up, bolted to the pallet ready to ship.

image-1583889211.jpg   image-224233385.jpg  
Mcjeeperson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-22-2013, 06:22 AM   #17
whitwt
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Hello! After a bit of a hiatus that has been filled with :work, honey-do lists and building a green house, I am back at it! My drivetrain will be at a pickup location the weekend. And being that I live in the middle of nowhere it is a 3 hour drive to pick it up. But lucky for me I was going to Des Moines anyway because I good friend will be in town. 2 birds!

So Yesterday I finally hoisted the tub off of the frame. I am doing all of the work at my folks' place. So I built a big *** header in the rafters of my dad's shed (which took longer than anything else yesterday) and hooked up a chain hoist. Rigged it to the roll bars with chains and Boom!, tub in the sky. I missed two giant bolts that were hiding just in front of the gas tank. So we started to actually lift the back end off of the ground. I lowered it and found the bolts. No problems. I only missed one hose! It went from the gas cap area to the top of the rear brakes? No idea what that is. But I disconnected it and no worries.

Below are the pics. This week I finish disconnecting the harness, strip the brake system and exhaust, and then work on that drivetrain! Anybody want to buy an old AX5 and a busted 2.5? I know you do! Then grinding and painting the frame. Then lift kit. Then new drivetrain placement... How do you eat an elephant? One bite at a time.
tub.jpg   back-frame.jpg   front-frame.jpg  
whitwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-08-2013, 04:52 PM   #18
whitwt
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Sometimes rainy days equal days off when you work construction. Not always a bad thing. I got the frame stripped off completely. The only things still attached are the gas tank and the stock suspension. Maybe tomorrow I will get the tank off and start cleaning and grinding. Any recommendations out there on a product to apply to the newly cleaned frame? My brother raves about POR 15. Any other ideas?

I ordered the suspension and body lift kit from Rough Country. 2.5" suspension/ 1.25" body. I am pretty excited to get that put it in. I have owned the jeep for all of 5 years now, and I have sadly never taken the leap to lift it. Sad, I know... But I may as well do it while I am at it.

I did some reading on other swap threads and am mentally preparing myself to rebuild/frankenstein my 231 transfer case with the 241 that I received from Mcjeeperson. If I understand correctly, I should be able to keep my splines out and just change my splines in. But then does it bolt up the the nv3500 tranny that came with it? Or do i just keep the 241 completely and try to make it fit? Not sure which route to go, I gots some more reading to do. Regardless, it was a productive day.

One more thing. Anyone know where I can sell a dead 2.5 and and old ax5? Maybe I should sell the 231 with it?
whitwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-03-2014, 08:09 PM   #19
vavision
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Any updates? Looking at all options for my 2.5 myself
Unread 01-04-2014, 09:51 AM   #20
rda616
1998 TJ Wrangler 

The 4.3 would be a big waste of money. You can have an ls motor for the same cost and the same amount of work. You can have a magnum v8 for less money and less work.
rda616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-04-2014, 09:53 AM   #21
rebelbowtie
Frameless and Shameless

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rda616
The 4.3 would be a big waste of money. You can have an ls motor for the same cost and the same amount of work. You can have a magnum v8 for less money and less work.
Waste of money? No! Can money be better spent on a Gen III s all block? Absolutely!
For he's just the U.S. Government's hired man.
rebelbowtie is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-04-2014, 09:57 AM   #22
rda616
1998 TJ Wrangler 

definitely a waste of money.
rda616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-11-2014, 09:49 PM   #23
jherrington
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rda616 View Post
definitely a waste of money.
Who the hell would want another dodge engine when you could swap in a chevy?

Edit: unless it a hemi
jherrington is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.