2.5 to 4.3 swap - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 2.5 to 4.3 swap

RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineJeep Wrangler Bushwacker Flat Fender Flare Sale at Baselin

Unread 04-15-2013, 12:04 AM   #16
Mcjeeperson
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Wrapped up, bolted to the pallet ready to ship.

image-1583889211.jpg   image-224233385.jpg  
Mcjeeperson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-22-2013, 07:22 AM   #17
whitwt
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Hello! After a bit of a hiatus that has been filled with :work, honey-do lists and building a green house, I am back at it! My drivetrain will be at a pickup location the weekend. And being that I live in the middle of nowhere it is a 3 hour drive to pick it up. But lucky for me I was going to Des Moines anyway because I good friend will be in town. 2 birds!

So Yesterday I finally hoisted the tub off of the frame. I am doing all of the work at my folks' place. So I built a big *** header in the rafters of my dad's shed (which took longer than anything else yesterday) and hooked up a chain hoist. Rigged it to the roll bars with chains and Boom!, tub in the sky. I missed two giant bolts that were hiding just in front of the gas tank. So we started to actually lift the back end off of the ground. I lowered it and found the bolts. No problems. I only missed one hose! It went from the gas cap area to the top of the rear brakes? No idea what that is. But I disconnected it and no worries.

Below are the pics. This week I finish disconnecting the harness, strip the brake system and exhaust, and then work on that drivetrain! Anybody want to buy an old AX5 and a busted 2.5? I know you do! Then grinding and painting the frame. Then lift kit. Then new drivetrain placement... How do you eat an elephant? One bite at a time.
tub.jpg   back-frame.jpg   front-frame.jpg  
whitwt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-08-2013, 05:52 PM   #18
whitwt
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Sometimes rainy days equal days off when you work construction. Not always a bad thing. I got the frame stripped off completely. The only things still attached are the gas tank and the stock suspension. Maybe tomorrow I will get the tank off and start cleaning and grinding. Any recommendations out there on a product to apply to the newly cleaned frame? My brother raves about POR 15. Any other ideas?

I ordered the suspension and body lift kit from Rough Country. 2.5" suspension/ 1.25" body. I am pretty excited to get that put it in. I have owned the jeep for all of 5 years now, and I have sadly never taken the leap to lift it. Sad, I know... But I may as well do it while I am at it.

I did some reading on other swap threads and am mentally preparing myself to rebuild/frankenstein my 231 transfer case with the 241 that I received from Mcjeeperson. If I understand correctly, I should be able to keep my splines out and just change my splines in. But then does it bolt up the the nv3500 tranny that came with it? Or do i just keep the 241 completely and try to make it fit? Not sure which route to go, I gots some more reading to do. Regardless, it was a productive day.

One more thing. Anyone know where I can sell a dead 2.5 and and old ax5? Maybe I should sell the 231 with it?
whitwt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-03-2014, 09:09 PM   #19
vavision
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Any updates? Looking at all options for my 2.5 myself
Unread 01-04-2014, 10:51 AM   #20
rda616
1998 TJ Wrangler 

The 4.3 would be a big waste of money. You can have an ls motor for the same cost and the same amount of work. You can have a magnum v8 for less money and less work.
rda616 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-04-2014, 10:53 AM   #21
rebelbowtie
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rda616
The 4.3 would be a big waste of money. You can have an ls motor for the same cost and the same amount of work. You can have a magnum v8 for less money and less work.
Waste of money? No! Can money be better spent on a Gen III s all block? Absolutely!
For he's just the U.S. Government's hired man.
rebelbowtie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-04-2014, 10:57 AM   #22
rda616
1998 TJ Wrangler 

definitely a waste of money.
rda616 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-11-2014, 10:49 PM   #23
jherrington
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rda616 View Post
definitely a waste of money.
Who the hell would want another dodge engine when you could swap in a chevy?

Edit: unless it a hemi
jherrington is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
2.5l , 4.3 , electrical system , help please , swapping

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.