Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

2.5-4.0 swap is underway!!

270K views 173 replies 54 participants last post by  chanaum 
#1 · (Edited)
OK so few weeks ago I blew my 2nd 4cyl, i decided i was done w/4 bangers so i shopped around and found a 6cyl/5spd trans/t-case/computer/harness for $900 i went and picked it up and started pulling the 4cyl, i don't have pics of me pulling the trans or case but here is some pics of me pulling the 4cyl, here is the link the my photo bucket account since i told my ex GF to take lots of pics, she took over 100 just of me pulling the motor, although i didn't keep all of them,

list of things needed on next page, i will update it as i go

also i know i am to skinny, but not even the Army was able to fatten me up, so deal with it

1st i had to borrow a few factory spares so it would even fit on the trailer,

nice easy unload, just lift trailer w/forklift

the start

even the now ex GF got dirty and helped out (thats my dad i cant thank him enough)

rest is just random stuff we removed, i wont lable it all

yes my dad is sitting up under the jeep

all undone

See less See more
#2 ·
like my engine hoist?

all empty

I'm going to beat gas prices Flintstones style!!

thats all till this weekend, i go pick up my new frame side motor mounts tomorrow mopar part #52058864 (left), and 52058865 (right).

Special thanks to Brown Dog for the part numbers, and the new HD engine side mounts that i need to take pics of, and to Tomb Raider who has given me lots of info as well

and yes parts from the 4cyl are for sale except the alternator

#7 ·
I have done this swap. If you have any questions, let me know. For the frame mounts, there are 2 part numbers per side. You will need a total of 4 part numbers for the frame mounts.
Upper left 52058865
Upper right 52058864
Reinforcement left 52058845
Reinforcement right 52058846

provelogear is correct about the fenders and grille. You can remove the whole front clip as one piece. There are 4 bolts on each side of the tub and the one front mount under the grille. You wont need to remove the radiator.

It will be easier to insatll the engine/ trans as a unit. That is how I set my frame mounts.

#10 ·
I have done this swap. If you have any questions, let me know. For the frame mounts, there are 2 part numbers per side. You will need a total of 4 part numbers for the frame mounts.
Upper left 52058865
Upper right 52058864
Reinforcement left 52058845
Reinforcement right 52058846

provelogear is correct about the fenders and grille. You can remove the whole front clip as one piece. There are 4 bolts on each side of the tub and the one front mount under the grille. You wont need to remove the radiator.

It will be easier to insatll the engine/ trans as a unit. That is how I set my frame mounts.
i only have the uppers what is the other part you mentioned? i have not seen that in any of the write ups i read

#8 ·
Yeah, definitely remove the grill and the bumper, will make for a much smoother install with all that out of the way. Looks like a fun project, trying to convince my co-worker to get rid of his 4 banger and slide in his LS2 that is just sitting there collecting dust.

#11 ·
It is a support for the upper. You definately need them. the upper basically welds to the top of the frame. The reinforcement welds to the upper and the side of the frame. If you have any questions, I can PM my cell number to you if you want. Also you will need to get the steering shaft support that welds to the frame or carefully cut your old one off and move it.

#20 · (Edited)
here is list of things needed to do the swap,

*motor (duh) try to stay with your year group (the year of your jeep), 97-99 and 00+ although my swap is from a YJ
*trans, the AX-5 will not bolt to the 4.0 plus it will not hold the
power either ( i dunno about autos)
*t/c the 4cyl has less splines then the 6cyl so it wont work either
*computer, must be year/motor/trans/model specific
*harness (for most its plug and play, for some reason mine was not) XJ harness will not work, this is where year specific comes in play the most
*Upper left motor mount 52058865 (dealer part) (welds to frame, is what mounts bolt to)
*Upper right motor mount 52058864 (dealer part)(welds to frame, is what mounts bolt to)
*Reinforcement left motor mount 52058845 (i am making these though)
(dealer part)
*Reinforcement right motor mount 52058846 (i am making these though)
(dealer part)
*Exhaust need re done from header to cat (the cat is same and so is rest of exhaust)
*Drive shafts (front is now longer, rear is now shorter, doing a belly up is good idea at this time)
*Fuel lines from frame to fuel rail, you may be able to make the 4cyl ones
work, but mine didn't have enough play in them, $50~ from dealer part # is
52100272AH
*wiring diagram (you may or may not need it but still nice) http://www.ahdol.com/
*Vacuum lines the goto intake manifold, dealer only parts, 53030615 (valve
cover to intake tube), 4854265 (valve cover to intake manifold) and 4854163
(evap canister lines) all rang in at <$30 from dealer so no to bad, although yours may be different this is what worked for me
*Power steering lines, the 4cyl ones are longer, they will work but you risk them getting into the belt/fan, KOI has the pressure line at $15 but they do not have the return (they show it as bulk hose, the bulk hose works from the reservoir to pump but you need line with fitting from box to reservoir) advanced has the return for $25~ both were next day items
*Radiator hoses (upper and lower)
*Intake tube, the filter box fits but the tube is different, I found someone who did a CAI and bought theirs. Or you may do a CAI. I chose not to for i play in mud and the filter clog up to easy when open like a CAI filter is.
*Fan shroud, you may trim the one from the 4cyl

these are different from the YJ motor, and the TJ harness, if using TJ motor you will be fine
*sensor in thermostat housing, (the one from 4cyl will work)
*O2 sensor in intake, (the one from 4cyl will work)
*O2 sensor in exhaust manifold, (the one from 4cyl isn't long enough)
*throttle body (TJ has extra sensors)
*crank position sensor (the one from 4cyl will work)

things i bought since i had it all out anyway
*Brown dog mml and HD motor mounts
*SYE/CV shaft
*Belly up skid
*New belt
*Complete tune up from ignition coil to the plugs

The following parts will interchange from your 2.5 to the 4.0;
*Power steering pump
*Alternator
*Fan
*Radiator (mine wored for 2 weeks even without a fan, although fan is now in)
*I do not know about A/C but i believe it will
*Evap canister, although none of the lines will

If you have any questions send me a PM

#21 · (Edited)
finally stole the ex GFs phone and uploaded the pics here you go, sorry they quality isn't that good its from a camera phone

cut old mounts off, gotta love plasma cutters!!

all gone

well remember my engine hoist? well it wouldn't work due to bumper sticking out so far, so instead of taking bumper off, we pulled out dads F550 work truck with hoist

getting motor in place

checking for clearance

we then marked mounts, pulled motor, tacked mounts and tested motor again, mounts were to far back,

so moved them up little bit and tried again

#22 ·
they fit so dad fully burnt them in

his welds are getting better, i dont think these are going anywhere, but just to be on safe side be are making braces this week,

that is all for now, once we make the supports i will bring the jeep home and things will fly then, also if anyone has a truck and would be kind enough to tow my jeep home that would help alot, i will give you money plus gas, i have trailer

#23 ·
Looks good, it's great that your father is so handy....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.