2.4L Upgrades - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 2.4L Upgrades

Dan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!GEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE Yukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon Zip

Unread 12-17-2007, 01:42 PM   #1
rpadams
2003 TJ Wrangler 

2.4L Upgrades

I am sure this has been covered in the past, but I have been unable to find the information I am looking for. Now before I get bashed for trying to milk a bit more out of my 2.4 I do not want to upgrade to a 4.0 or V8. I enjoy my jeep and it is great off road and around town. I am just trying to get a bit more so when I am on the highway I can keep up a little bit better. I am on a budget and am looking for some basic ideas. I was thinking a cold air intake, new throttle body, and throttle body spacer. Any suggestions would be great.

rpadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-17-2007, 01:44 PM   #2
Brice014
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I've been trying to get an answer to this question since the day I joined this forum and every time I have gotten flamed and/or received no response at all...lemme know if you have any better luck with this one
Low Output 4 Cylinder Jeep Club #420

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigchevyman24
ahhhh....finally 35's...but can't we all dream of 42" TSL's???? Body Cutting, Tube Fenders, Wheelbase Lengthening, 14 Bolts, Dana60s and Detroit Lockers...dreaming is nice, isn't it??????
Maybe one day...
Brice014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-17-2007, 01:47 PM   #3
rpadams
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I will let you know. Do you have ac? I may have to add ac to mine to keep the wife happy. If you don't and are looking to add it I have a good link to a shop that sells a kit.
Unread 12-17-2007, 01:50 PM   #4
$lick
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Fill in your profile please so we know more information about your jeep.

Ive got a larger throttle body, no difference. Regear it, my 4cyl with 4.88's beats my buddies lifted 6cyl with stock 3.07's. gearing is everything.

Suspension specs:
RE 3.5, 1.25 JKS BL
Old Man Emu shocks
Teraflex adjustable front trac bar
JKS Disco's
Axle specs:
Dana 30- Superior 4.88's
Detriot tru-trac locker
Dana 35- Superior 4.88's
Riding on:
33x12.50 BFG A/T
Black Cragar soft 8's
$lick is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-17-2007, 01:54 PM   #5
Brice014
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I do have AC but it is very rarely turned on (winter or summer) to help out with the engine performance. As far as bolt-on upgrades go though, I have an Airaid CAI...it sounds cool, and I still have people that don't believe I can hold 70mph on the highway in 5th gear, no matter how many times I've claimed it...I know the 2.4L is a more powerful engine than the previous 2.5, the intake might have helped, but people on here don't really care. If you don't have the 2.5L or the 4.0L on this forum your pretty much SOL on tech stuff. Probably the reason I never throw in my on anything drive train related. There isn't really a whole lot out there for the 2.4L to begin with, so in the aftermarket your kinda screwed too. Since the day I bought my Jeep I have looked for aftermarket performance parts and have come up with very very little. The Airaid intake is about the extent of the aftermarket for the 2.4L
Low Output 4 Cylinder Jeep Club #420

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigchevyman24
ahhhh....finally 35's...but can't we all dream of 42" TSL's???? Body Cutting, Tube Fenders, Wheelbase Lengthening, 14 Bolts, Dana60s and Detroit Lockers...dreaming is nice, isn't it??????
Maybe one day...
Brice014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-17-2007, 01:56 PM   #6
Schwalby
2003 TJ Wrangler 

The basic answer to this is there is nothing you can do to a stock 4cyl to add HP. You can do the mods but for the amount of money spent to amount of HP gained is very little. They just do not do much. If you are running large tires then regearing will bring you back to stock and if you are completely stock you could regear to get more power but you will lose MPG. Again though I would say the cost of regearing and then lost in MPG is not worth the little bit of pick up you will gain.

[url]www.jeeprally.org[/url] Great American Jeep Rally
Schwalby is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-17-2007, 01:58 PM   #7
rpadams
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I will eventually regear when I do a lift and lockers. I am definately not looking for a speed demon by any means. So no difference with a larger throttle body...that sucks. Did you do a cold air intake? I plan on going to 4.88's and 33" in the future. I am waiting on finding some cheap D44's and lockers before I do a lift. I am not in a hurry to do all that though. Any other suggestions to get a bit more.

How bad does the AC rob your power?
Unread 12-17-2007, 02:01 PM   #8
FloridaJeepGuy
2002 TJ Wrangler 

I had a '95 with a 2.5 and I did the K&N route, put on Borla headers and exhaust. And other little things here and there but it just didnt have the power I wanted. I still needed to gear down and could only go 50mph up Loveland Pass.

I did get better MPG though...
FloridaJeepGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-17-2007, 02:45 PM   #9
HipCheck_1
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brice014
If you don't have the 2.5L or the 4.0L on this forum your pretty much SOL on tech stuff.
Actually even if you have those two engines there is very little concerning engine performance modification on this board.

Seems to me that the Jeep community is not concerned with torque and horsepower numbers and instead are concerned with gearing and lockers.

As far as upgrades to the 2.4 get a cold air intake and maybe a header and call it a day. Do not free up the exhaust too much or you may regret the loss of torque in the low-end.

If you have the money to blow get a supercharger or turbo.
HipCheck_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-17-2007, 03:02 PM   #10
McLovin
2000 TJ Wrangler 

The biggest mistake I see people make on the 2.4L is that they shift way to early. The 2.5L and 4.0L have more torque at the low end so they shift much sooner. Probably around 2200-2500rpms. If you wanna get some pick up out of the 2.4L dont shift till like 4500 rpms. This motor makes most of it's power in the upper rpms. So IMO anything you can do to increase air flow and fuel in the upper rpm's should really benefit it. IMO the 2.4L is much better suited to driving in th ehigher rpms, it is just odd at first letting a motor rev like that all the time.

Jet makes a chip for it, and a larger TB and a better air intake should help as well. Now it's up to the individual to decide if the "juice is worth the squeeze" . Gears are always a good investment if gas mileage isnt a concern.
Unread 12-17-2007, 03:44 PM   #11
kd4yor
1997 TJ Wrangler 

There is little mention of the 2.4 because they are to new. Not many people have them out of warranty yet or are willing to "tune" them.
If you look hard enough there are plenty of performance parts out there. Everything from Turbo kits to cams, custom injection, power pullys....what do you want?
I can't wait to find one in a junk yard and get rid of my 4.0 lump.
Unread 12-17-2007, 03:56 PM   #12
McLovin
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kd4yor
There is little mention of the 2.4 because they are to new. Not many people have them out of warranty yet or are willing to "tune" them.
If you look hard enough there are plenty of performance parts out there. Everything from Turbo kits to cams, custom injection, power pullys....what do you want?
I can't wait to find one in a junk yard and get rid of my 4.0 lump.
well they only made them for 3 model years. I dunno though maybe some of the neon/pt cruiser stuff might work on it.
Unread 12-17-2007, 04:03 PM   #13
kd4yor
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn_c
well they only made them for 3 model years. I dunno though maybe some of the neon/pt cruiser stuff might work on it.
I'm not going to spill my secrets.....
That engine was in production from 1994 to 2006
Unread 12-17-2007, 04:11 PM   #14
McLovin
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kd4yor
I'm not going to spill my secrets.....
That engine was in production from 1994 to 2006
In jeeps? Maybe the liberty had it for awhile
Unread 12-17-2007, 04:19 PM   #15
flatlander757
2003 TJ Wrangler 

It's a stratus motor.

Regear it or do research to stick the SRT-4 2.4L turbo motor in it.

And just FYI no you cannot bolt the turbo straight to it. You need new bearings, pistons, exhaust valves, possibly intake valves, and possibly rods/crank.

Now that's out of the way

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2006 Sport
Being able to make vroom vroom noises in Tonys Jeep was the highlight of my life.
Currently Jeepless.
flatlander757 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2.4 , performance enhancer

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.