2.4L I4, auto, 4.56 gears, 42rle. can it handle 31x10.5's? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 2.4L I4, auto, 4.56 gears, 42rle. can it handle 31x10.5's?

UCF Halloween Sale - 15% Off Until Midnight on Friday!Halloween Savings to die for!ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4w

Unread 08-03-2010, 04:04 PM   #1
monkeygruven
2004 TJ Wrangler 

2.4L I4, auto, 4.56 gears, 42rle. can it handle 31x10.5's?

Would this be unbearable? I know I have the mythical "unicorn" jeep with stock 4.56 gears, but will this combination be totally unliveable? I do an even amount of city and highway driving, with about one wheeling daytrip a month.

Also, a related question. Which types of MTs are going to be the lightest? As in, which brand/line? I've heard Swampers are quite heavy, but I'm not sure about all the other brands. I'm trying to plan my build, which will be starting soon. Help!

The real trail rated badges are located on your skid plates.
monkeygruven is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-03-2010, 04:06 PM   #2
AFjeepMan
2005 TJ Wrangler 

that's a great setup! My friend has the '06 with the 4 cyl and 4.10's and he doesn't have a problem with it at all!

[COLOR="Red"][_l_[COLOR="black"],[/COLOR][____][COLOR="Black"],[/COLOR]
l----L - [COLOR="Black"]O[/COLOR]lllllll[COLOR="Black"]O[/COLOR]-[/COLOR]
(o)_) (o)_)--)_)

[COLOR="Green"]Wife≥Jeep>GF

Relearn your priorities.[/COLOR]

WANTED: SYE and cv shaft...good condition and good price. for a TJ with about 5-6" of lift.
AFjeepMan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-03-2010, 04:07 PM   #3
monkeygruven
2004 TJ Wrangler 

is he driving a manual?

Unread 08-03-2010, 04:14 PM   #4
Imped
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFjeepMan View Post
that's a great setup! My friend has the '06 with the 4 cyl and 4.10's and he doesn't have a problem with it at all!
You're missing an important part of the equation....the 42rle. Far from being a great setup.

With that said, I wouldn't go bigger than 31's.
Imped is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-03-2010, 04:20 PM   #5
AFjeepMan
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I have the 42rle and 3.73's and it's great, granted I have the 4.0, but the 42rle has a 3rd gear ratio of 1.0 which is the same as the final in the 5 speed or 5th in the 6 speed. So I'm not sure if you're pointing out that the tranny is the week link or the gearing won't work well, but I would think that 31's are no problem at all, and could possibly go a little bigger if wanted (up to 33's)

(o)_) (o)_)--)_)

WANTED: SYE and cv shaft...good condition and good price. for a TJ with about 5-6" of lift.
Unread 08-03-2010, 04:47 PM   #6
monkeygruven
2004 TJ Wrangler 

So are you saying that a 1:1 drive ratio in the tranny would be too tall at speed?i I know this setup would basically negate O/D, specially in the 42rle, which is something like 0.69:1, I believe.

Unread 08-03-2010, 04:51 PM   #7
AFjeepMan
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I use my overdrive plenty. I also don't abuse the skinny pedal. With a good tail wind you will have a good chance of using the OD haha. But seriously, most 31's are only slightly over 30" in overall diameter which is stock size on a TJ Sport. I don't think you'll have any problems at all, and you'll most likely use the OD about as much as you could expect with a 4 cyl.

(o)_) (o)_)--)_)

Unread 08-03-2010, 04:53 PM   #8
monkeygruven
2004 TJ Wrangler 

My stock tires right now are the miniscule 215/75r15's, which works out to 27.7", but by now surely they're 27.0". The 2" radial increase going to 31's could be pretty significant, but I guess there's no way to really find out without throwing some on there?

Is the bolt pattern on a 2000 XJ 5on4.5 like TJ's? I have a friend with 30's, maybe I could throw those on just to check out how it feels. Hmm....

Unread 08-03-2010, 04:53 PM   #9
2006_Sport
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Holy ****, if a 42RLE behind my 4.0 sucks, i can't imagine it behind a 4 banger. Go with 31s.

2006 Jeep Wrangler|BDS|BFGoodrich|Uniden|Upol|HiLift|Cragar| IPF|Alpine|JKS|PoisonSpyder|Truck-lite|Aussie Locker|Novak|Trail Gear|Firestik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson View Post
There are no women on the internet either. Learn that. It's a fact.
-Zach
2006_Sport is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-03-2010, 05:01 PM   #10
AFjeepMan
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Why does everyone hate their 42RLE's? I know it's no off road beast, but it does a great job for me as a DD, and wheels plenty fine when I get a chance to go. Maybe I just don't wheel it hard enough or I got lucky!

(o)_) (o)_)--)_)

Unread 08-03-2010, 05:04 PM   #11
2006_Sport
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Mines not bad either, there are just WAY better transmissions.

2006 Jeep Wrangler|BDS|BFGoodrich|Uniden|Upol|HiLift|Cragar| IPF|Alpine|JKS|PoisonSpyder|Truck-lite|Aussie Locker|Novak|Trail Gear|Firestik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson View Post
There are no women on the internet either. Learn that. It's a fact.
-Zach
2006_Sport is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-03-2010, 05:06 PM   #12
AFjeepMan
2005 TJ Wrangler 

O I fully agree, but if it's not bad then you probably shouldn't go saying it sucks to a guy that's probably not gonna be looking to go extreme with it since for his purposes the 42rle is enough trans. no 4-banger is gonna be great with larger tires, but the 4.56's make it a lot more bearable with the 2.4

(o)_) (o)_)--)_)

Unread 08-03-2010, 05:07 PM   #13
monkeygruven
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I think it just has a tendency to shift too early, and the O/D ratio is just so steep, and kicks in so early, that it shifts out of the powerband. At least that's my understanding of it. This is the only Jeep I've owned, though, so I really don't have much to compare it to. I just don't want to throw a lot of cash into something that won't be bearable.

Unread 08-03-2010, 05:12 PM   #14
AFjeepMan
2005 TJ Wrangler 

it does do just that, and with the 4.0 it's manageable because even out of the "power band" it can still go in a straight line and maintain speed. You just may need to use the O/D shut off switch when not on the highway and shut it off. Then turn it back on when you hit 45-50...that could be one way of helping. If you're friend has XJ rims with 30's try those for a week or two and see how you like it. don't forget, you'll need a new speedo gear to get the right reading on the dash. So just keep the speedo at the speed limit or just a little under with the bigger tires until you do.

(o)_) (o)_)--)_)

Unread 08-03-2010, 05:16 PM   #15
monkeygruven
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Ha, I'm not so sure he'd want to cruise around with his lift and all with some dinky 27's on it maybe for an afternoon though.

Tags
tj , wrangler , gears , advice , tires

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.