2.4 to 4.0 swap - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 2.4 to 4.0 swap

Dan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGGEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE

Unread 07-07-2014, 12:16 AM   #1
samuraisavr
2003 TJ Wrangler 

2.4 to 4.0 swap

So, after much debate, I'm going to source a 4.0 and manual trans to swap into my 03 tj with a blown up 2.4. I've gone round and round over the whole v8 swap and I just want a dependable OEM solution to my problem. I know MOST of what I need, but my question lies with the wiring. Which years ECMs will swap into the 03s? I know they use a different "language" than the 97-02? but are they year specific? Will I need to change any of the wiring in the dash or should it be a plug and play set up? Provided the engine is correct for 03, a compatible ECM is found, and the dash harness is compatible, this swap should be straight forward. I know I need new frame mounts, 23spline shaft for tcase, a ax15 or nv3550, and I ok with that, but the wiring and ECM thing boggles the mind... Thanks in advance.

Pocket
samuraisavr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-07-2014, 12:40 AM   #2
CTM1

Grab everything off a donor vehicle there are so many variances its not worth trying to figure out whats missing.. as u gut out the old stuff you will notice the similarities and differences when you slowily place everything jump in with both feet brother thats why its so tempting to go v8 its about the same minus "engineering cost " ie custim mounts and such
CTM1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-07-2014, 02:01 AM   #3
ex m38a1er
2003 TJ Wrangler 

How did you blow up your 2.4?

'WHO DARES,WINS'

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f37/e...-my-tj-723762/
ex m38a1er is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-07-2014, 02:13 AM   #4
CTM1

Ive had a couple xjs and the smallest little option difference can change a lot its precautionary to do this any swap im planing an ls v8
Unread 07-07-2014, 02:15 AM   #5
CTM1

I did a power window and lock swap to my classic xj dam near had to replace all the wiring some connections change but u have identify as u go along
Unread 07-08-2014, 04:33 AM   #6
danromaine
2006 TJ Wrangler 

How bad is the 2.4? I am looking for a block to build. Is it still good?
danromaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-17-2014, 10:47 PM   #7
samuraisavr
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Block is good, It could likely be rebuilt but I was never impressed by the performance of the 2.4 so I figured I would take the time to make it what I wanted...
Pocket
samuraisavr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-19-2014, 04:35 PM   #8
danromaine
2006 TJ Wrangler 

What do you plan to do with the motor? If you want to get rid of it how much do you want for it and where are you located? It's hard to find RWD 2.4 blocks around here. Can get FWD versions all day. Thanks, Dan.
danromaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-21-2014, 07:46 PM   #9
RnEmOvr
Have Cummins, Will tow.

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Read link in my sig. Stick with same year motor. There is a place in Xenia or u-pull on west seymour that will have your motor if you take your time.

Looking to swap my 4" springs for your 2-3" springs. PM for details.
RnEmOvr is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.