2-3 inch lift on a budget - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 2-3 inch lift on a budget

Black Friday Sale!!FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 08-25-2012, 11:29 PM   #16
IslandTJ
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Location: where I wheel: N 45º 36.663' W 123º 20.935', Oregon
LOL, I got vibes when I installed a 2" suspension lift. I 1st got rid of them by dropping my transfer case with a few washers, then I removed the washers and raised my transfer case back to stock position after I installed my JKS body and motor mount lift lit.

1998 TJ Moss [COLOR=darkgreen][B][SIZE=3]Green[/SIZE][/B][/COLOR] Sahara w/ numerous scratches & dents whose playground is on a tropical island that's 33 miles long and 4-12 miles wide, in year-round 82 degree weather.

[Edit] "Now jeepin in Oregon" [/Edit]
IslandTJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-26-2012, 01:35 AM   #17
gebirgziege
2006 LJ Wrangler 

OP- Before you start in on the lifts etc..

Get the following:

A come-along, a high lift, some 1.75 coil spacers, and sway bar disconnects, and most important, usually free- a good spotter and some common sense.

Don't forget to air down to 15-18 psi.
And learn how to use your e brake for traction too.

With all that, you will pretty much be able to wheel the majority of the trails out there and get by just fine with no dl vibes. Plus I probably just saved ya three hundred fifty bucks.

Try wheeling like that for a while. It will teach you way more finesse and skill than just rolling and sliding over stuff.
Unread 08-26-2012, 07:12 AM   #18
IslandTJ
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Location: where I wheel: N 45º 36.663' W 123º 20.935', Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by gebirgziege View Post
OP- Before you start in on the lifts etc..

Get the following:

A come-along, a high lift, some 1.75 coil spacers, and sway bar disconnects, and most important, usually free- a good spotter and some common sense.

Don't forget to air down to 15-18 psi.
And learn how to use your e brake for traction too.

With all that, you will pretty much be able to wheel the majority of the trails out there and get by just fine with no dl vibes. Plus I probably just saved ya three hundred fifty bucks.

Try wheeling like that for a while. It will teach you way more finesse and skill than just rolling and sliding over stuff.

This is great advice.
1998 TJ Moss [COLOR=darkgreen][B][SIZE=3]Green[/SIZE][/B][/COLOR] Sahara w/ numerous scratches & dents whose playground is on a tropical island that's 33 miles long and 4-12 miles wide, in year-round 82 degree weather.

[Edit] "Now jeepin in Oregon" [/Edit]
IslandTJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-26-2012, 07:42 PM   #19
ThatFool
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Alright this a little off topic but what exactly does a hilift do I see them everywhere
ThatFool is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-26-2012, 09:13 PM   #20
Bills03tj
1992 XJ Cherokee 

A high lift is a jack. It can be used to jack the jeep up or when set up correctly it can be used as a recovery tool, a poor mans winch so to speak.
Bills03tj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-27-2012, 06:24 AM   #21
ThatFool
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Alright. I will check out the spacers what is the max tire size. I want to run 33 but I don't think 1.75 is enough. Also any shock suggestions?
Unread 08-27-2012, 03:26 PM   #22
gebirgziege
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatFool
Alright. I will check out the spacers what is the max tire size. I want to run 33 but I don't think 1.75 is enough. Also any shock suggestions?
Bump stops if you go bigger than 31s.
Or you'll end up with some funky fresh rubbed n bent front fenders. Which will cause you to spend more money.

If you go to 33s you may start feeling the jeep seem underpowered and lugged down a bit.
Which may open the door for re-gearing and more money spending... Which wives and girlfriends don't like (unless it's for them).

If you're trying to save money stick to 31s or 32s. Get some bump stops, and follow my previous advice and have fun wheeling.

* I had more fun wheeling when I started with my almost stock SE TJ jeep going places my buddies and I bet on us not getting to (and back) than I have with my over-trail rated rubi locked lifted etc that just drives over everything.
It's almost like it's not a challenge anymore for me. If I throw more difficult terrain at it (more than double black diamond trails) I realize I should have a buggy built for it, or a cheap 80s Toyota I don't care about getting rashed up and broken, which I feel would take a lot of fun out of it for me.
In my opinion, I guess pushing capable limits is easier done closest to stock form- and seems a lot more fun... getting something there and back, that required skill and ingenuity with a little finesse, rather than big tires/lift/lockers/& winch. If ya know what I mean.

I am more impressed and entertained by a stock jeep passing through difficult terrain, than a built one just rolling right over it. There's a lot of tricks and old grampa wheeling tips that get rigs places that amaze me. I think trying to stick close to stock form is what true jeeping is all about. Your daily driver doing neat un believable stuff.

Hi-lifts are nice if you get hung up on something to get your rig up off of it and something like a log or some rocks underneath tires to get ya going again.

The come along is the poor mans winch.
That particular tool has saved my butt more times than my 10k winch has, and it's a 10th of the weight.

As for shocks, if you stick to 1.75" spacers and 31-32" tires you should be able to get by using stock ones.
Unread 08-27-2012, 08:06 PM   #23
ThatFool
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Alright. I have been doing a ton of research and I have looked at a 2 inch bb or just a 2 coil lift. What ever I get I will have for a long time so I thought to get new coils would be a good thing.

I need to get a come a long. Will come handy I bet
Unread 08-27-2012, 08:19 PM   #24
Bills03tj
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Go with the coils. I did the spacer lift originally and I was never happy with the ride. Plus, when I took it off the spacers one of them was starting to split. I think you'll be much happier with coils.
Bills03tj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-27-2012, 08:51 PM   #25
mightydog78
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knuckelhead View Post
Not entirely true if its a 3" suspension lift...
3" suspension lift, 1.25" BL, 1" MML, and no SYE or TC drop necessary..

Charlotte, NC / Southport, NC

Mechanical Engineer
mightydog78 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-27-2012, 08:51 PM   #26
Boodyrider
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatFool View Post
I ran 33s with 2" budget boost (spacer lift), and now run 35s with 2 1/2 progressive coils. Keys are flat fenders, correct wheel offset, bumpstops set carefully for travel.

Cheap: Used 2" coil spacers, use stock shocks at first, then later pick up some good shocks. Don't run 33s, rubber costs. Especially when you add big bucks for regear.

I always get a kick out of guys who worry about the hundred dollar difference in lift costs but ignore that running 33s costs 400 bucks more in rubber. 800 if you get appropriate offset wheels.

Modifying a Jeep costs money. Wheeling - and breaking - costs significantly more. Don't forget that fuel economy tends to drop as tires get bigger and the Jeep gets heavier...

84 CJ7; frame off restoration in progress.

The technical advice you get from me here is worth exactly what you paid me for it. Warranty issues will be reimbursed at double what you paid me for the advice.
Boodyrider is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-27-2012, 09:33 PM   #27
Knuckelhead
AFSOC Retired

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mightydog78 View Post
3" suspension lift, 1.25" BL, 1" MML, and no SYE or TC drop necessary..
Not all Jeeps are the same, some will and some won't requiore a TC drop or SYE with that setup...
Unread 08-28-2012, 04:18 AM   #28
Jam1965
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I installed the rough country 3.25" lift. The only thing the kit does not come with is the transfer case linkage drop which you can buy or easily make. The kit is $369 plus if you call to order it you can get another 10% off. I added shock boots and a new steering stabilizer and had it all delivered for a little over $400. I've been running it for a few months and love it.
Jam1965 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-28-2012, 07:52 AM   #29
RockDoc
2002 TJ Wrangler 

I just installed the Zone 3" lift and couldn't be happier. The transfer case drop bolts they sent me were the wrong length but the local hardware store had the ones I needed for about $10.
RockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-28-2012, 08:26 AM   #30
SLADE
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Rusty's should not even be considered as an option.

Get a GOOD set of 2.5" coils and a set of Shocks to match. For only 2"-2.5" of lift, you have a very reasonable budget with $500. Look into Old Man Emu coils or another qood quality spring. The coils arn't something you want to cheap out on from the beginning.
2001 Dodge Ram 2500
SLADE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.