2.25 inch lift with new shocks...what else to think about? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 2.25 inch lift with new shocks...what else to think about?

Poison spyder items @ oconee off road 706 534 9955Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!

Unread 10-31-2007, 05:05 PM   #1
illinoisjeeper
2004 TJ Wrangler 

2.25 inch lift with new shocks...what else to think about?

I recently purchased a 2.25 inch lift with RE mono tube shocks from www.4wheelcustoms.com. I was just wondering would there be anything else that i would have to take into account, SYE, bump stops, ect.? Also i wanted an opinion on a 1'' to 1.25'' Body lift in the spring and what else i would have to account for with that?
This is the first lift I've done on a my 04' Jeep X TJ and i have read the forums, which have been great and thank you to everyone that has contributed to helping myself and others, but i just need a little guidance.

Thanks again,
Chris

2004 Wrangler X, 31x10.50 T.A.K/O, Cobra CB with left tail light mount

illinoisjeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-31-2007, 05:41 PM   #2
eclipse27
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Get a 1 or 1.25 inch body lift. And then a 1inch mml lift if you'd like. You wont need an sye with only 2.25 inchs of lift. This setup is great for 32's/33's. If you rub just adjust your bumpstops alil. You may hafta order different bumpstops im not to sure.
4-4.5 inch susp. lift. 1 in performance acs. body lift. 5 in offroad foglights. Brushgaurd. Atoz corner armors.Round 4in taillights.D35/30 combo. upgraded horn.radio.8inbazzoka tube.highlift jack. 1.5in wheel spacers. 33' goodyear wrangler mt's.
eclipse27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-31-2007, 10:11 PM   #3
azcoyote

I am on the same path as you... I have the 1" BL and MML on now... adding my BB when my tires get in to the store....

My next upgrade is a tummy tuck and new gas tank skid since my LJ has serious J-Lo arse...
Unread 10-31-2007, 11:38 PM   #4
Rocky529
Jeep

2004 TJ Wrangler 

You don't have to worry about trackbars with that size lift.. you may have to drop your t-case but that may or may not be able to be avoided if you install a 1" BL/1" MML.

Silver Metallic finish with black dual tops - Dana 44 Rear
2.25" Suspension Lift with Old Man Emu Shocks
Performance Accessories 1" Body Lift
Daystar 1" Motor Mount Lift
Spidertrax 1.25" Wheel Spacers - 32"x11.5" MT/R Tires
Rocky529 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-01-2007, 05:14 AM   #5
TheBoogieman
Demonic Jeep Freak!

1998 TJ Wrangler 

When I did that lift and the body lift,I had no vibes at all and didn't need a MML or t case drop.I did need to get a heavier steering stabilizer to stop a faint shaking in the front end.
TheBoogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-01-2007, 05:37 AM   #6
rmb2485
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I have the same BB and shocks with a JKS 1.25"BL and 1"BMML. I needed the MML to cure a 30mph vibe after the lift, but with the BL and MML I'm all set to go for a tummy tuck as soon as I finish all the other projects that are either half done or are still in boxes in the garage. Here are some pics of mine with the BB and BL on 31's:

Here is the BB without the BL on 31's:
rmb2485 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-02-2007, 10:28 AM   #7
illinoisjeeper
2004 TJ Wrangler 

thanks everybody for the responses. i'll probably go with the MML and BL both 1". How hard or what are the steps it takes to put the BL and MML on? i've heard its not that bad but i've never done one before.

also...thanks rmb2485 for the pictures, that gives me a great idea of how mine will look. much appreciated!
Unread 11-02-2007, 10:55 AM   #8
Wheelin98TJ
JEEP FREAK

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Here's a BL write-up:

http://www.4x4xplor.com/bl.html

Here's one for a MML:

http://www.4x4xplor.com/MML.html

Bookmark that site along with www.stu-offroad.com for future reference.

Welcome to the forum.
Wheelin98TJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-02-2007, 08:51 PM   #9
illinoisjeeper
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks Wheelin98TJ that's a great write up and thanks for the greetings!
Unread 11-08-2007, 08:11 PM   #10
illinoisjeeper
2004 TJ Wrangler 

hey everybody thanks again...i got everything put on but the passenger side rear shock i had a problem with. the top 2 bolts to the stock shock broke off when we were trying to take it off so i've been trying to drill it out but its not budging. so i think i'm gonna have to take it in for a buddy to try to get it out. other than that it all went pretty well i'll get some pictures up here soon!
Unread 11-11-2007, 06:20 PM   #11
azcoyote

Just put mine on with my new Discos in front. Total spacer in front is 3" (had a .75 on there already) and surprise surprise... I have death wobble... Real and amazing poo in the pants death wobble... Course the super unbalanced tires don't seem to help.... Tomorrows purchase... Cam bolts and pick up my new 33s...
Unread 11-12-2007, 03:17 PM   #12
illinoisjeeper
2004 TJ Wrangler 

azcoyote i have a little bit of a wobble but i think i'm heading in to get an alignment in the front. its not to bad but i feel it right around 20-30mph. if that's not it i'll be picking up a t-case drop kit. i'd love to see some pictures of your jeep sometime! i want to do a 1.25 inch body lift in the spring. also are you going to regear?
Unread 11-12-2007, 04:49 PM   #13
STW
2000 TJ Wrangler 

What tires are you trying to fit? If the BB is for your 31s then you don't need to do a BL for the lift.

Check how close your left rear tire is to the spring perch by sliding your hand down in there behind the tire. Compare that to the space on the other side and decide if it's too close on the right--it may be close if you have wider tires on stock backspacing without wheel spacers. If so you can fix this with a track bar relocation bracket--the OME one is cheap and would fit your lift but is only necessary if that left rear tire is too close.

Your anti-sway bar will now be pointed downward a bit, and may rub on your tire at full lock. You may want quick disconnects to make trail head time smoother, and discos will get the anti-sway bar back up where it belongs. This is not highly urgent depending on your priorities.

You will not necessarily have any vibes with 2.25" BB so wait and see if you do then you can just add washers under the T-case skid till the vibes go away completely--probably .5" only. This is the cheapest most minimal way to get ride of vibes from a small lift. Don't worry about an SYE till you're beyond 3".

Some one mentioned the MML and if that clears the vibes by itself without any BL then I'd be interested in doing the MML to get rid of my T-case skid washers. I've never been able to get a clear answer on whethe a MML can rid you of moderate vibes without a BL, so I did the .5" T-case drop.
Unread 05-15-2008, 06:47 PM   #14
illinoisjeeper
2004 TJ Wrangler 

hey everybody, jeeps been running great with the lift and the 31's, just wanted to give an update and a few questions for everybody to throw their hat in the ring on. Bought a Supertop from Quadratec, black top with tinted windows, right now is a good time to buy if anybody is looking i got 10% off and talked them into free shipping (Told them about jcw throwing in a $100 gift certificate) and no tax! it was $569.42 brand new. so if anybody is looking for one check that out.

Anywho i'm thinking about getting a 1-1.25inch body lift and was wondering about doing the MML or just the fan relocation bracket or just cutting the fan shroud. just wanted to know some opinons and responses on what worked out best and if you would do something different what would ya do. I eventually want to get to 33x12.50's and i got the 2.25in now then figured the 1-1.25in would give me the room i'm looking.

Lastly i want to get some cheap black rims, i know there's like a million post on this, but my only thing is i want a set of cheap steelies cheap that will last through the winters and won't get torn up with salt and all that. So i'm thinking Cragar 397's 15x8 for 4in BS.

Welp any opinons will be gratefully appreciated!

Thanks,
Chris
Unread 05-15-2008, 06:48 PM   #15
illinoisjeeper
2004 TJ Wrangler 

oh and i'm getting a new picture ASAP of the jeep...the hog will have to do for now!

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.