2/2 Sensor Slow Response(Oxygen Sensor code P0159) - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 2/2 Sensor Slow Response(Oxygen Sensor code P0159)

Labor Day Sale!FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 09-15-2011, 01:48 PM   #1
Erik T.
2001 TJ Wrangler 

2/2 Sensor Slow Response(Oxygen Sensor code P0159)

Had a Check Engine light come on, ran the codes and its the P 0159 for slow oxygen sensor.

I tried searching, couldn't find anything on how to fix the slow sensor. Do I just replace it(them?).

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
Hack work? :rofl: You just described half the modified jeeps on this board.
Erik T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-15-2011, 01:50 PM   #2
biffgnar
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Just replace
Unread 09-15-2011, 02:25 PM   #3
Erik T.
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Can I run like this for a few days? Or should I just park it til I can get to it?

Quote:
Unread 09-15-2011, 02:27 PM   #4
timberwolf0122
Web Wheeler

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Your fine to drive it.
Atheist Jeep Club Member #2
MacGyver Club Member #1
Doctor Who has died 10 times, is on his 11th regeneration and has a time machine, beat that Jesus.
I think he's calling his Jeep "Tardis," which is British slang for pimp mobile. - Dangfoo
timberwolf0122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-15-2011, 03:50 PM   #5
JWebber
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Sound like it's not getting to temp range and when your PCM goes into open loop for monitoring it's seeing it as slow. Replace it!
JWebber is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-15-2011, 04:25 PM   #6
flying_bosun
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik T. View Post
Can I run like this for a few days? Or should I just park it til I can get to it?
You won't hurt anything driving it, but you may see a marked decrease in fuel economy.
[URL="http://www.grimmjeeper.com/gears.html"][COLOR="Red"][SIZE="3"]Gear-Calculator[/SIZE][/COLOR][/URL] [URL="http://www.stu-offroad.com/siteindex.asp"][COLOR="White"][SIZE="3"]Stu Can Help You[/SIZE][/COLOR][/URL] [URL="http://www.berrysprinter.com/jeepparts.php"][COLOR="Blue"][SIZE="3"]Part Names and Numbers[/SIZE][/COLOR][/URL] [URL="http://www.wholesalemopar.com/"][SIZE="3"][COLOR="Red"]Dealer Supplied Parts and ask for "Jeep Club" Prices[/COLOR][/SIZE][/URL]

[QUOTE=Ron Paul]“Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.”
― Ron Paul[/QUOTE]

[CENTER][SIZE="5"]"Did [I]you[/I] exchange your walk-on part in the war for a lead role in a cage?"[/SIZE][/CENTER]
flying_bosun is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-15-2011, 08:46 PM   #7
Erik T.
2001 TJ Wrangler 

I can live with that. While I drive 3 hours a day to work and back(on top of a ten hour shift), my wife drives my Jeep to her job that is only 3 miles down the road from the house.

I'll get to it this weekend or next then.

Thanks.

Quote:
Unread 08-12-2012, 01:54 PM   #8
deesulpwr
2001 TJ Wrangler 

I have replaced 2/2 three times, replaced the cats two years ago. I have been fighting P0320, 0300, 0304, 0305, 0306 and 0159. I replaced the Crankshaft position sensor and that code went away. I can't figure this mess out. Jeep runs ok, mileage is a bit off but not real bad. I have tried Mopar and aftermarket sensors. Maybe I need to take it back and have the cats checked? Anyone have suggestions, I buy all my fuel from the same station for all vehicles and the other two have had no issues.
deesulpwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-03-2012, 02:18 PM   #9
deesulpwr
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Anyone?.... I am still having the same issue. I replaced the CPS twice and that code is gone but I still have the 0300,0304,0305,0306 and 0159. I guess I will take it back and have the cats checked, they were replaced two years ago.
deesulpwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-03-2012, 04:01 PM   #10
Rubi4MyMrs
Tks 4 the upgrade MoodyJP

2005 LJ Wrangler 

The misfire is from the back 3 (bank 2) cylinders. Have you replaced the 2/1 O2 sensor? Checked the exhaust for leaks? Bad sensor 1s can mess with the fuel mixture & cause various problems. Bad mileage & misfire on all bank 2 cylinders? No expert but it doesn't sound like cats to me.

BTW, don't use Bosch sensors. Known to give problems & slow response is a common issue.
Rubi4MyMrs is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.