1st time jeep owner w/dumb question (: - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 1st time jeep owner w/dumb question (:

TeraFlex Now at Rockridge 4WD! BEST DEALS around!Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsENGO QUADLUX 6" to 54" LED AMBER AND WHITE MULTI

Unread 07-30-2006, 02:52 PM   #1
BamaJeepGirl

1st time jeep owner w/dumb question (:

hi,

i've had my tj for about a week, it didn't come with an owners manual

how do i remove the hardtop? after i open the two latches does the front of the top lift up or slide back? what kind of tool is needed to remove the bolts in the back of the top? can someone email the instruction to remove the hardtop or can i download them from a web site? checking ebay now for a used manual.......sigh

BamaJeepGirl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-30-2006, 02:54 PM   #2
thejafe
2004 TJ Wrangler 

You need a TORX set. Torx bolts are all over the Jeep and are what secure the hard top in the rear. Once you take the front latches off, remove the Torx bolts and the top lifts up and off the Jeep .
thejafe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-30-2006, 02:55 PM   #3
stevensinger

2006 LJ Wrangler 

you need to undo the screws on the sides of the body in the back, welcome to the forum please remember to use the search tool it will answer 90% of your questions...
stevensinger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-30-2006, 02:56 PM   #4
Forumpete58
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Unlatch the two front latches, unscrew the six torx bolts around the sides (under the rear windows), unhook the electrical hookup for the window defrost and hose for washer fluid, finally find a buddy to help you lift it off. It can be done by yourself but many don't recommend it. Have fun topless!!
Forumpete58 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-30-2006, 02:59 PM   #5
REDPILL
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaJeepGirl
hi,

i've had my tj for about a week, it didn't come with an owners manual

how do i remove the hardtop? after i open the two latches does the front of the top lift up or slide back? what kind of tool is needed to remove the bolts in the back of the top? can someone email the instruction to remove the hardtop or can i download them from a web site? checking ebay now for a used manual.......sigh

I'll be the first to say WELCOME!!!!!!!!

Don't forget to

jclaude

Matthew 6, 5-6 Read it, Follow it.
2004 unlimited Yellow
REDPILL is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-30-2006, 03:01 PM   #6
silver97tj
1998 TJ Wrangler 

welcome.....check your pm's.........................

ps pm is private mail, messages............
Support our Troops!! Thank You!!!

Last edited by silver97tj; 07-30-2006 at 03:44 PM..
silver97tj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-30-2006, 03:03 PM   #7
newbs
Jeepaholic
1999 TJ Wrangler 

if I recall it's a torx 40 I should remember I just did 20 minutes ago and there are 3 on the right side and 3 on the left side you have to undo and the top may be stuck to the body so you may have to wiggle to break it loose and pick it up and slide it off useing 2 people
newbs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-30-2006, 03:13 PM   #8
jeffwen02

with the first two in the front near the doors, you gotta make sure you reach your finger up in there and hold that piece when you take the top bolt off, because once that metal piece falls into the frame say goodbye to that piece. just take it slow, it's easier than it sounds

i'm mechanically retarded, so... it shouldnt be too hard for you
Unread 07-30-2006, 03:19 PM   #9
Oman Jeep
Web Wheeler

Just remember that you'll want some help getting it off. That thing is pretty damn heavy, you'll probably need at least one strong friend... two if you're a slim build.
Oman Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-30-2006, 03:48 PM   #10
thesherm
1998 TJ Wrangler 

also, as obvious as it sounds, you want to make sure you have a spot laid out for the top before you take it off. i use some 2x8s with carpet remnants stapled to it to protect the fiberglass edges. watch out for the rear glass which may pop open unexpectedly when you lift the top.
Unfortunately you are one of those poor misguided folks that believes leaving the gear shift lever in one slot or another is an indication of control.

Come go for a ride and I'll be glad to demonstrate the difference between what you perceive incorrectly as "control" and what control actually is.

Pick a different reason because that one is both lame and stupid to perpetuate.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine
Pardon me for damaging your precious reputation. It's not that I disagree, that would be a difference of opinion. This isn't subjective, it's objective, you are just wrong. If you make that statement, you are misguided. It is that simple.
thesherm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-30-2006, 04:03 PM   #11
02tjsport
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesherm
also, as obvious as it sounds, you want to make sure you have a spot laid out for the top before you take it off. i use some 2x8s with carpet remnants stapled to it to protect the fiberglass edges. watch out for the rear glass which may pop open unexpectedly when you lift the top.

wooden picnic table works perfectly....lift up back glass and straddle the table and sit hte sides of hte top on the benches of the table.
02tjsport is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-30-2006, 07:32 PM   #12
jeep-n00b

Where are you at in AL? I'll be heading down to the Dothan/Enterprise area at the end of September. Are there any good trails down there?
jeep-n00b is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-30-2006, 10:44 PM   #13
BamaJeepGirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeep-n00b
Where are you at in AL? I'll be heading down to the Dothan/Enterprise area at the end of September. Are there any good trails down there?
madison. i'm new to jeeps so i don't know anything about trails or 4 wheeling, yet....i hope to learn soon i'm trying to find a local jeep club to join.

thanks everyone for your advice and instructions

i'll make sure i get help from a male friend or two before i try and remove the hardtop, i know i can't remove it alone it looks heavy.
BamaJeepGirl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-31-2006, 06:49 AM   #14
cupharmboy

So I pick up my Sahara today and the soft top is on it at the moment. I get his hardtop also so do I need to ask for the tool that came with it? Or will it be just as easy to just go buy a Torx 40? Cost?

PS> Sorry for the Hijack!
cupharmboy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-31-2006, 07:14 AM   #15
jeepin_man

it is just a bit, you should be able to find one pretty cheap.
jeepin_man is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.