1999 TJ Jeep Wrangler-Getting Screwed by Dealership? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 1999 TJ Jeep Wrangler-Getting Screwed by Dealership?

Savvy FOX IFP 4" Lift Shocks in StockSavvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsSavvy Aluminum Gas Tank Skid

Unread 07-02-2012, 11:18 PM   #1
holeehannah

1999 TJ Jeep Wrangler-Getting Screwed by Dealership?

I have searched through the forum and could not find solution or answer to my problem so here it goes.
New to the Jeep world, just recently purchased a 1999 TJ Jeep Wrangler with a "supposed" 41000 Miles on it, I will explain the supposed soon. After putting 111 lovely miles on this TJ it started a high speed miss. After driving for 10-15 min on the freeway. Almost total loss of power had to pull off the freeway and sit for about 1-2 min then jeep would run fine on surface streets, but would repeat this problem if you stayed on the freeway. At this same exact moment the miss happened the speedo stopped working. Not completely but would slowly creep to 10 mph then 0 then 20 then 10 when your actually going like 50 mph. Luckily in Az there is a used car law that is a "major" Component brakes on a vehicle within 5 days or 500 miles the dealership must fix it for free. AWESOME. Dealership read the codes, lean misfire, found crack in exhaust manifold and replaced the entire manifold. Couldn't figure out the speedo, convinced it was wiring done by the previous owner behind the instrument panel. Finally they decide to take it to a jeep dealership (currently being worked on at a toyota dealership where it was traded in) Jeep dealership claims sensor has bad O ring due to heat (is this true?/possible?) BUT while it was at Jeep dealership jeep continues to stall out. Jeep dealership thinks its the Fuel pump.
I am having a hard time understanding all of this on a vehicle that supposedly has 41000 miles on it (forty one thousand not one hundred and forty one thousand) I am afraid I am getting screwed but nothing about the jeep leads me to believe the odometer is wrong (aesthetically). I understand it could have been sitting for a long period of time which could cause some of these issues, but really? I am looking for positive reassurance that this could all be legit possible solutions or if I need to run back to the dealership and get my car back.

holeehannah is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-03-2012, 12:11 AM   #2
LRod
2006 TJ Wrangler 

It is a few years old, and who knows how the previous owner cared for it?
You could have gotten some condensation in the tank that's causing the miss when the engine is running at higher speeds, or possibly starving because of a dirty pick up filter in the tank?
LRod is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-03-2012, 01:38 AM   #3
RogueSpear2023
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I agree 41K on a 1999 means this jeep wasn't driven often or it sat for long periods of time. To be honest I usually avoid low mileage old vehicles for this reason they tend to have a lot of problems when compared to higher mileage old vehicles. Your vehicle is 14 years old being the it was probably made in 98 or early 99 being a 99 model year. With 41K that's less than 3K a year. Consider most people drive 12-15K a year. My guess is it sat a while with gas in, and when they decided to drive to plug the filter which took out the fuel pump. The exhaust manifold in very common for the one piece manifold. The sensor issue from overheating would make sense if the vehicle sat for a longtime an then when they finally started it, it sludged up, and then it overheated diffs should have the fluids changed every 24K or 2 years which ever comes first, you might have/had the original fluid in the differential.

2003 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
4.0L, 42RLE, Dual Tops, Full Doors, JKS Front Disconnects, Cragar Soft 8 Black Wheels, 33x12.5x15 Goodyear Duratracs, .75" Front Coil Spacers, Bushwacker 6" Flat Fender Flares, Skid Row Steering Box Skid, LubeLockers, Rubicon Locker Mod, OBA, Cobra 19 Ultra III CB, 3' Firestik, Rough Country 2.2 Steering Stabilizer, RC 1.25" BL, RC 1" MML, RC Grab Handles, Fog Lamp Bent Pin Mod, 4" Apline S Series Speakers, Kenwood Excelon 6.5" Speakers, 6.5" JL Audio 6W3V3 Subwoofer (in center console) w/MTX Thunder 202 amp, IPF H4 Headlight Housing, Sliverstar H4 bulbs.

TJ Tech Boot Camp
TJ Specs

"Buying a jeep and not taking it off road, is like buying a dragster and never taking it to the track"
RogueSpear2023 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-03-2012, 06:38 AM   #4
1999TJRED85000

Why worry? You've got the assurance that they needto get it running properly or take it back. If you get it back and it doesn;t run properly, make them fix it. AZ law, right? They have no choice. Be patient. It sounds like they might put some needed maintenance $ into it.
Unread 07-03-2012, 07:54 AM   #5
prjohnson
2002 TJ Wrangler 

The Late 90's TJ's all had a problem with the insturments randomly shutting off. Banging on the dash will usually cause the gauges to turn back on.

41,000 miles is possible on a 99, however it might not be the case.

I had a buddy who got a new TJ in 98. His insturments would shut off all the time & he realised that the milage wouldn't register while it wasn't working, so he quit hitting the dash & never took it to get fixed. When he finally traded the Jeep, it was only showing a very small fraction of the miles he actually drove.
prjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-03-2012, 07:59 AM   #6
erictheblonde
2014 JK Wrangler 

My guess is you have a different year TJ ECU with fewer miles. The Jeep dealership may be able to tell you if the cluster and ECU are original, I'm positive it's the ECU which keeps up with the miles, not the LCD odometer. I do know if the instrument cluster power fuse is pulled, the miles remain correct when the fuse is reinstalled. It's possible to have a 99' with so few miles, but is unlikely.
erictheblonde is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-03-2012, 09:29 AM   #7
JWebber
1999 TJ Wrangler 

If the dealer ship thinks it's the fuel pump, did they to a leak down test on the fuel pump??? the fuel rail has a port for testing the psi readings etc... Just let them fix it they have all the right tools to run scans etc.. but the only tool that might not be worthy is the tool running the tools. LOL!
JWebber is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-03-2012, 10:37 AM   #8
dcope17
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Have you paid for any repairs?

Let them replace half the vehicle if they want...

Life with Christ can be explained like a Jeep...
Being in the Word... grows your tire size.
Prayer... gains more ground clearance.
Fellowship... Is like having a good spotter.

The more of these you have... the easier it is to get over obstacles in your path.
.[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f194/dcope17s-thoughts-bible-please-read-only-do-not-post-1333441/#post13115090"]My Bible Thread[/URL]
dcope17 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-03-2012, 10:54 AM   #9
SlackJaw
baby jeep

2004 TJ Wrangler 

I agree with others not to sweat anything yet.

My step dad just got a 09 JK with 3,500 miles, so yeh it's not outside the realm of possibility to have a 99 with 41k in the least.
SlackJaw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-03-2012, 11:12 AM   #10
Jonny Jeep
Web Wheeler

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Both PCM and cluster store mileage. Displayed figure is that stored in the cluster. Ask the Jeep dealership if they can read the mileage on the PCM and compare it to what's on the cluster. There are tests in the FSM for checking fuel delivery so the dealership should be able to tell if the pump is good. It has to deliver a given quantity of fuel in seven seconds.

Rockauto 5% discount code can be found here... http://www.markviii.org/LOD2/products_services.htm

Online factory service manuals (FSMs) and parts lists can be viewed at http://www.jeep4x4center.com/knowledge-base/index.htm
If the link doesn't work properly, look for the service manual link under Jeep Resources at the bottom of the page.
Jonny Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-03-2012, 11:40 AM   #11
bedtime
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by holeehannah View Post
I am having a hard time understanding all of this on a vehicle that supposedly has 41000 miles on it...
I work out of my house and drive only about 1200 miles a year. And I usually have more than one vehicle. Lots of people buy a Jeep as a second car. Too many think because it's sits it doesn't need maintenance. Rubber and fluids still need to be changed.

My daughter has a 98 Sahara. The PO replaced the gauge cluster because of that speedo issue.

Your other issue sure sounds like fuel delivery. Start with the easy stuff, like an inline fuel filter (if it has one), pressure/pump next.
bedtime is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-03-2012, 11:42 AM   #12
JustinCHorst
2005 LJ Wrangler 

I would bet that mileage is accurate...lots of times these jeeps are third cars or weekend drivers...or kept at a vaca house etc. As for the problems I feel bad for you but as long as they are paying for it it wouldnt bother me much because it is all things that are now new.
JustinCHorst is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
exhaust manifold , fuel pump , speed sensor

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.