1999 Jeep Wrangler gauges problem - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 1999 Jeep Wrangler gauges problem

Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippThe Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Ruffstuff 3 Link Kit!

Unread 04-26-2012, 12:30 PM   #1
gwb523

1999 Jeep Wrangler gauges problem

I have a 1999 Jeep Wrangler and none of the gauges are working. I have read many threads that indicate it's probably the connectors. I have checked all connectors and fuses and find nothing. I then ran an independent feed to pin 9 (power) on the blue connector of the gauge cluster and everything worked. This tells me that the connectors are ok and the gauge cluster is ok and that it is a power feed problem. Where does the gauges get there power from? I have tested the cluster fuse behind the glove box and it is good. I was going to just run a new wire from that fuse to the pin 9 but I'm not sure if this is the correct solution. Any help would be appreciated.

Thank You
Gary

gwb523 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-26-2012, 12:36 PM   #2
TheBoogieman
Demonic Jeep Freak!

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Have you checked the relay box under the hood?
Originally Posted by Jeepsr4me View Post
Yeap its your nuts that giving you the trouble here...... Get the right ones
TheBoogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-26-2012, 04:17 PM   #3
Knuckelhead
AFSOC Retired

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Have you done the gauge cluster test?...
Unread 04-26-2012, 04:26 PM   #4
gwb523

I'm not sure which relay is the one that might affect the gauges. There is no schematic for the fuse panel under the hood. I did test all the fuses and checked the relays that matched by swapping them around to see if any changes occured.

Thanks for your help!
Unread 04-26-2012, 04:30 PM   #5
gwb523

I'm not sure how to perform the gauge cluster test. I did test to see if I had voltage on the power wire before the connector and with the key on I did not have power. I ran a wire from the fuse panel to the power wire and all the gauges came up and worked fine. I turned the key off to make sure the gauges went off and they did.
Unread 04-26-2012, 06:23 PM   #6
Knuckelhead
AFSOC Retired

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwb523 View Post
I'm not sure how to perform the gauge cluster test. I did test to see if I had voltage on the power wire before the connector and with the key on I did not have power. I ran a wire from the fuse panel to the power wire and all the gauges came up and worked fine. I turned the key off to make sure the gauges went off and they did.
Hold the odometer button in and turn the ignition key to on (not start).

Fill in your profile...
Unread 04-27-2012, 12:28 PM   #7
Jonny Jeep
Web Wheeler

1997 TJ Wrangler 

The pink/white wire on pin 9 is fed from fuse 20 (10 Amp) in the under hood power distribution center (PDC). It also supplies radio memory, and courtesy and under hood lamps if fitted. Check that fuse, and even if it looks good swap it for another.

Rockauto 5% discount code can be found here... http://www.markviii.org/LOD2/products_services.htm

Online factory service manuals (FSMs) and parts lists can be viewed at http://www.jeep4x4center.com/knowledge-base/index.htm
If the link doesn't work properly, look for the service manual link under Jeep Resources at the bottom of the page.
Jonny Jeep is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-27-2012, 01:41 PM   #8
gwb523

I performed a gauge cluster test but as I thought the lights all lit up but the gauges did nothing. I didn't think they would without power to pin 9.

I tested all the fuses with a multi meter and replaced fuse #20 (10 amp) under the hood with a new one though it tested good. Still, the gauges aren't working.

All your help is appreciated
Unread 04-28-2012, 12:27 AM   #9
Jonny Jeep
Web Wheeler

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Do you have under dash courtesy lamps and/or does your radio keep stations in memory. If they work the problem is likely to be at the cluster connector. If they don't there must be a break in the pink/white wire between the pdc and the interior.

Rockauto 5% discount code can be found here... http://www.markviii.org/LOD2/products_services.htm

Online factory service manuals (FSMs) and parts lists can be viewed at http://www.jeep4x4center.com/knowledge-base/index.htm
If the link doesn't work properly, look for the service manual link under Jeep Resources at the bottom of the page.

Last edited by Jonny Jeep; 04-28-2012 at 10:26 AM.. Reason: spelling
Unread 04-28-2012, 04:16 AM   #10
gwb523

The under the dash courtesy lights do not work and someone has replaced the radio and it is wired from the fuse box behind the glove box. I checked for voltage on the pink/white wire before the cluster connector and I do not have voltage. Does the pink/white wire run through any relay in the PDC under the hood? If not I should be able to run a new wire from fuse #20 under the hood to the cluster connector and be good to go. Right? I did run a test wire straight from the battery to pin#9 and the gauges worked properly and shut off when the key was turned off so i'm thinking it should be fine.

Thanks again for your assistance

Thanks
Unread 04-28-2012, 10:36 AM   #11
Jonny Jeep
Web Wheeler

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Wire is routed to all the things I mentioned in post #7 with nothing in the circuit but a couple of connectors.

From the PDC it goes direct to the blue connector, in the block of connectors near your driver side dash speaker. From there the wire is tapped that takes it back out to the under hood lamp. If you have an under hood lamp does it have voltage at the pink/white wire? If you don't have an underhood lamp there should be a two pin connector at the end of a length of wire somewhere near the center of the firewall. If you have no power there the wire is likely to be broken somewhere between the PDC and the blue connector and that would be the length of wire you would need to replace.

From the blue connector, it goes to the green connector in the same group of connectors, and from there to the under dash lamp connectors, radio and cluster.

If you check for continuity from the blue connector to the cluster connector and have a good circuit, it means the wire is good all the way from the blue connector, via the green connector to the cluster, and there will be no need to run wire directly to the cluster.

Unread 05-08-2012, 02:13 PM   #12
gwb523

I'm just getting back to working on the Jeep and the information you supplied was excellent. Everything is working perfectly now!

Thank You for all your assistance!

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.