1999 4.0 TJ pulling to the left - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 1999 4.0 TJ pulling to the left

Save 17.76% for the 4th of july with ruffstuff specialtiesThe Ruffstuff Optima Battery Box!FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 06-25-2015, 03:08 PM   #1
Cleggmeister
1999 TJ Wrangler 

1999 4.0 TJ pulling to the left

Greetings folks,

An annoying fault with my newly acquired 4.0 TJ Sport... It pulls left on a flat road. Enough to annoy though not enough to be a danger. I've had an alignment check which improved things slightly however the issue remains. If I boot it the Jeep pulls left more strongly for a moment, and if I brake hard it seems to straighten momentarily. Subtly though, so I might be talking bs...

Any thoughts on diagnosis gladly received. The Jeep is stock and has covered 36,000 miles. Tyre pressures are fine, no brakes binding. Recently had new control arms and a new steering stabiliser. My steering wheel is slightly off centre if any of that is relevant?

Many thanks.

Cleggy.

Cleggmeister is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-25-2015, 04:34 PM   #2
JFM626
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Odly enough, your problem may be in the rear suspension, one of the bushings could be worn, to the point that under hard throttle the rear axle shifts a little and steers the jeep. When you brake the braking action pulls the axle back into allignment and the jeep goes straight. Could be as simple as loose bolts having oblonged a hole. Maybe worth a decco?
Unread 06-25-2015, 04:46 PM   #3
1orangews6
2006 LJ Wrangler 

If the alignment was done then the steering wheel shouldn't be off center. The pulling could be caused by several things such as the crown in road, uneven air pressure an under inflated tire also has more rolling resistance causing to pull, and uneven tread wear could cause it to pull.
Unread 06-25-2015, 05:53 PM   #4
RnEmOvr
Have Cummins, Will tow.

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Align it yourself. Also check for sticking brake caliper.

http://www.stu-offroad.com/steering/align/align-1.htm
RnEmOvr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-25-2015, 07:27 PM   #5
JFM626
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1orangews6 View Post
If the alignment was done then the steering wheel shouldn't be off center. The pulling could be caused by several things such as the crown in road, uneven air pressure an under inflated tire also has more rolling resistance causing to pull, and uneven tread wear could cause it to pull.
Speaking to the crown of the road aspect of your reply only. He is driving in Scotland, where everyone drives on the left, so yes if his Jeep came from overhere and is a left hand drive, then the steering and axle geometry would be set for a crown in the road over here. Over in Scotland, it would certainly pull to the left, off the crown of the road and onto the shoulder of the road
Unread 06-25-2015, 09:19 PM   #6
1orangews6
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFM626 View Post
Speaking to the crown of the road aspect of your reply only. He is driving in Scotland, where everyone drives on the left, so yes if his Jeep came from overhere and is a left hand drive, then the steering and axle geometry would be set for a crown in the road over here. Over in Scotland, it would certainly pull to the left, off the crown of the road and onto the shoulder of the road
Everything in my post could cause a vehicle to pull in a direction.
Unread 06-26-2015, 04:57 AM   #7
Cleggmeister
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks folks, I'm leaning towards (pardon the pun) something loose/worn in the rear suspension/geometry. Will get it on stands over the weekend and look for wobbles.
I'll straighten the steering wheel myself - it was a job I performed on my JK a few years ago and (I guess) is the same for a TJ? Not sure why they didn't sort that when aligning the wheels...
Unread 06-26-2015, 05:39 AM   #8
1orangews6
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleggmeister View Post
Thanks folks, I'm leaning towards (pardon the pun) something loose/worn in the rear suspension/geometry. Will get it on stands over the weekend and look for wobbles.
I'll straighten the steering wheel myself - it was a job I performed on my JK a few years ago and (I guess) is the same for a TJ? Not sure why they didn't sort that when aligning the wheels...
If you paid for the alignment already I would take it back and have them fix it. Most places here have a 6,000/6 month mileage warranty on their alignments.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.