1998 TJ wrangler - fuel pump sending unit / fuel gauge - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 1998 TJ wrangler - fuel pump sending unit / fuel gauge

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFlowmaster's Force II Axle-back exhaust system for the 201FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 05-09-2009, 05:31 PM   #1
drummerchukb1
1998 TJ Wrangler 

1998 TJ wrangler - fuel pump sending unit / fuel gauge

I just bought my 98 tj and i have a problem. I filled up the tank one day on the way home. The next day i went on a 5 mile loop to turn in some job applications. When i stopped at the first place it said i had over 3/4 of a tank(wow that seems low). When i stopped at the second place, it said i had less than 1/4 a tank (what?!). and when i was leaving the third place it said i had between 1/4 and 1/2 tank (...). What is causing this? could it be the fuel pump sending unit, or the fuel gauge, or somthing in between? Is the sending unit a recalled item?

thanks,
chuck

drummerchukb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-09-2009, 05:34 PM   #2
jeepwrangler97
1997 TJ Wrangler 

there is a factory TSB for it (the sending unit) I think, I have the same problem
jeepwrangler97 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-10-2009, 04:31 AM   #3
Jonny Jeep
Web Wheeler

1997 TJ Wrangler 

I had my sender replaced under recall. The gauge appeared to work normally but would still indicate a round a 1/4 tank when it was actually empty.

It might be that it's a problem with the connectors at the back of the cluster. Next time it does it try giving the top of the cluster a whack and see if it moves. There are a few threads about cleaning the cluster connectors if you search.

Also try pressing the odometer reset button, turning on the ignition then releasing the button. That will put the cluster into a test mode and all of the gauges will swing back and forth. The small gauges should run in sync. If the fuel gauge doesn't move like the others you might have a screw loose on the back of the cluster.

Rockauto 5% discount code can be found here... http://www.markviii.org/LOD2/products_services.htm

Online factory service manuals (FSMs) and parts lists can be viewed at http://www.jeep4x4center.com/knowledge-base/index.htm
If the link doesn't work properly, look for the service manual link under Jeep Resources at the bottom of the page.
Jonny Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-11-2009, 04:42 PM   #4
drummerchukb1
1998 TJ Wrangler 

well the gauges all work acorrding to the diagnostic. i cleaned the electrical conection at the tank, and it is still funnky. the sending unit is not a recalled item for my 98. the parts are lookin at around $330 to fix. I guess this means i will be using paper, my mileage, and my mpg as a fuel guage for now. Thanks guys
drummerchukb1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.