1998 Jeep Wrangler Sport 4.0 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 1998 Jeep Wrangler Sport 4.0

BLACK FRIDAY SPECIALS!! You asked, we deliver!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits

Unread 06-21-2011, 02:38 PM   #1
sirgildus
1998 TJ Wrangler 

1998 Jeep Wrangler Sport 4.0

Hey guys,

My posts are mostly in the ZJ column but I am seriously considering a '98 4.0 Wrangler Sport. Anything I should be aware about this model? It's basically stock. No A/C, no cruise control, no power windows or locks like a Grand Cherokee. Non-modded which I want. It has 130K on its odometer and other than a couple of rough spots which I can correct it's basically a nice little TJ.
It has the hard-top and for some freaky reason, chrome rims. They look stock. It comes with a Chrysler CD/cassette player. Other than that, it's what I want in a Wrangler!

The 4.0 is just a beast! My ZJ has 249000 on it as I post this new thread!

Anything to watch out for in these models?

sirgildus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-21-2011, 03:31 PM   #2
SecondTJ
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Listen for an exhaust leak. Exhaust manifold cracks were common on the 97-99

'99 Z28 M6, some goodies
'94 'Vette, A4 all stock
SecondTJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-21-2011, 03:56 PM   #3
joeksjeep
1998 TJ Wrangler 

dude that is a win win situation for the right price. Not modded or molested in any way, includign the radio, hey if they get youa good price take it.
You didnt say if it was auto or manual... When you test drive it see if it gets stuck in 4x4, it will if it hasnt been used in a very long time, or if somethign is really really wrong...

Other then that, i dont know of any major problems besides maybe a D35 going out, but if its never been abused its prolly all good..

let us know if it happens !!! good luck

Chrysler Factory Trained Jeep technician, and A.S.E. Certified Master Tech
joeksjeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-21-2011, 04:13 PM   #4
Jeepzcb09
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I paid $5500 for my 98, it had a 2in spacer lift with some cragers on worn out crappy 33's with 127,000 miles, it has ac, and cruise, aswell as a cd player.My exhasut manifold is still good and looks to be original.

Believe.
Jeepzcb09 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-21-2011, 10:58 PM   #5
sirgildus
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Well there are two possibles now. I have a choice. Both are Wrangler Sports with the 4.0. The white one I was able to test drive and everything checked out including the radio. As I was test driving the white one, the dealer told me he just got another one in but it's getting the steering shaft replaced. I was able to see it and it's in even better condition than the white one. It's also a 4.0 and this one has the beige leather-like interior I want and it's maroon. It also comes with two tops- hardtop and soft-top and is 60k miles less than the white one. He's saying about $6700 for the maroon one. I'll let you know what I decide but I'm tending towards the maroon one. The white one had a bit of on-center slop but nothing like I had in the ZJ. Luckily with help from the forum I was able to tighten the steering on the ZJ and straighten out the steering wheel as well. The white one's suspension was solid with no rattle. Just dull thuds like a new truck. If the maroon one drives as well, that pretty much seals the deal for me!

BTW, both are automatic 4.0 but as of yet have no details on the drivetrain until I see it later this week. I'll keep your advice in mind!
Unread 06-22-2011, 08:09 AM   #6
RowJ
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Prefered 'options' on the 98 Wrangler I would want to have.....
These were all added expense when new and were hard to find when I was looking at used TJ's
-3.55 gears
-Dana 44 rear end
-Limited Slip diferential

RJ
RowJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-22-2011, 09:06 AM   #7
sirgildus
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RowJ View Post
Prefered 'options' on the 98 Wrangler I would prefer to have.....
These were all added expense when new and were hard to find when I was looking at used TJ's
-3.55 gears
-Dana 44 rear end

RJ
So you're saying that the 4.0 Sport is stock with the Dana 30 and 35? What do the Wranglers come with as far as transmissions go?
Unread 06-22-2011, 09:30 AM   #8
sirgildus
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RowJ View Post
Prefered 'options' on the 98 Wrangler I would prefer to have.....
-3.55 gears
-Dana 44 rear end

RJ
So you're saying that the 4.0 Sport is stock with the Dana 30 and 35? What do the Wranglers come with as far as transmissions go?
Unread 06-22-2011, 09:36 AM   #9
kfdjason7620
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirgildus

Its gonna have the 32rh tranny (3 spd with a lock up) good tranny but nowhere near bullet proof, make sure they change smoothly and should be no hesitation or slow changing, not a good sign
kfdjason7620 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-22-2011, 10:53 AM   #10
RowJ
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirgildus View Post
Yes, D30/35 was stock!
On trannies, don't know if the Automatic was extra cost or not??
You can see this stuff for yourself HERE

RJ
RowJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-16-2011, 02:35 PM   #11
sirgildus
1998 TJ Wrangler 

1998 Jeep Wrangler Sport

Well, I went with the Maroon (it does look red in the pics, believe me it's maroon)

Jeep Wrangler TJ Sport
4.0 112000 miles 32RH
Soft and Hard Tops
Gambler Rims
Stock

The Transfer-Case shifter is a bit of a chore but I'm going to crawl underneath and take a look see what's causing the binding. It's probably just rusted. Other than that, it drives smooth. It does shift back and forth from 2HI to 4HI to 4LO and back with some effort.

Just below the lower hinge of the spare-tire carrier is the only spot I saw any rust.
rommels-iphone-pictures-341.jpg   rommels-iphone-pictures-342.jpg   rommels-iphone-pictures-343.jpg  
Unread 07-16-2011, 08:15 PM   #12
pohlease
1998 TJ Wrangler 

very nice. I just bought a 98 also. gotta love owning a jeep.
pohlease is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-16-2011, 08:23 PM   #13
little_Jeep
1998 TJ Wrangler 

1998 TJ Sport are best Jeep ever made.... Of course I am talking fact here, not opinions (LOL). Take a photo of your rear diff cover...and post it up, unless you know what to look for.
little_Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-17-2011, 07:32 AM   #14
sirgildus
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I've always wanted to own a Jeep when I was growing up but the Mustang won out. Now that I've reverted back to childhood at the age of 47, I've been longing for a Jeep! The Cherokee is awesome but I wanted the CJ! It's not the CJ but this model has essentially never been touched by modernization at least visually since the first CJ. The Wrangler's roots are still prominent! Hell even in the JKs the genomes are still strongly featured from the first design. Truly a living legend!!!

Okay back to business...

My Jeep has the 32RH as mentioned, the Dana 30 up front and Dana 35C pushing the rear. It has the 231 T-case. I'm happy not to be forever locked in AWD!!! I'll have to take pics of those and post them at a later date. Because of lighting and the crud (haven't had a chance to blast the undercarriage) the pictures didn't come out as clear as I want them. Before winter sets in I want the Jeep's belly cleaned and protected.

Almost forgot to mention, it has the old cassette type radio so I'll have someplace to plug my iPod in! Stock and functioning!

Here's some of the interior:
rommels-iphone-pictures-345.jpg   rommels-iphone-pictures-348.jpg   rommels-iphone-pictures-368.jpg  
l--L --OlllllO-
[COLOR="red"][COLOR="Black"]()_) ()_)-o-)_)[/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR][/CENTER]

[QUOTE=malligator;14091677]Troll? I was just jokingly responding in kind. Wow, talk about thin-skinned folks. Nice to see sirgildus can bypass the profanity filter and mrblaine can make bawdy jokes with impunity.[/QUOTE]
Unread 07-17-2011, 08:51 AM   #15
Diverdown87
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I would be a little concerned as to why @ 112K miles the steering shaft had to be replaced. I have a 98 that I bought brand new with 158K on it and the only issues I have run into were a bad electrical connection that killed all the gauges 3 months after I bought it (fixed under warranty), faulty wiring in the steering column that when I used the hazards would actually kill my brake lights and turn signals after turning off (also fixed under warranty but is dis it again after warranty expired). Other than that I have had no real issues other than no heat and not wanting to change out the heater core (NIGHTMARE). Good looking rig though.
Diverdown87 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.