1998 Jeep Wont Start, No Power To Coil Either - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 2 Old 04-08-2008, 12:38 PM Thread Starter
1998 Jeep Wont Start, No Power To Coil Either

I have done some work on my jeep recently. I blew a few fuses and replaced them and everything was working fine. I pulled the jeep in the garage and forgot i had something draining the battery. So, the battery died and I got the battery charged and put it back in. Now, the jeep will crank and crank all day long but will not start. If the key is in the on poistion, none of the gauges move what so ever. I do not know if thats normal or not, or if the jeep has to be started first for them to move. I do not know if I fried something in the ecm or if something else is wrong. I tested the wires going into the coil, and I get no voltage. I do not know what else to do. I hope someone can help. Thanks

Sponsored Links
post #2 of 2 Old 04-08-2008, 12:42 PM
1998 TJ Wrangler 
The crank position sensor on the tranny bellhousing and the cam position sensor under the distributor cap are 2 sensors that commonly cause no-spark issues like you are having.

The cam position sensor can be tested. It should read 5 volts with the key on.

I'm sure the crank position sensor can be tested too, but I'm not sure how. One trick you can try is unplugging it and plug it back in. Sometimes you can get a few more starts out of a bad crank position sensor by doing this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.