1998 jeep tj wrangler gas gauge problems - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 1998 jeep tj wrangler gas gauge problems

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 07-29-2012, 04:10 PM   #1
dustintgarner
1998 TJ Wrangler 

1998 jeep tj wrangler gas gauge problems

ok so dont know if this has been askered yet, but i have a '1998 jeep wrangler sport 4.0 automatic'... and my gas gauge stays on empy all the time i have checked wires and fuses and took the cluster out and cleaned it and everything it still is not working !!!!!!! i have done the test on the cluster with holding the buttion and turning the key off and on ... and it doesnt move untill all the other gauges are all the way maxed out then it only moves half way, but in the test the other gauges will read half way and the gas will go back to e....... some one please help with this it is driving me crazy!!!! thanks

dustintgarner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-29-2012, 04:39 PM   #2
Holm-z

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Mine has not worked correctly in a few years... actually ever since I bought it! i reset my trip meter and go off of that.

Monstaliner, CB Radio, Driving/Fog/Rock/Reverse lights

My build thread, work in progress...

I understand.

IAFF Local 3265
Holm-z is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-29-2012, 10:57 PM   #3
dustintgarner
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I could to that but I don't always fill it up. Plus the whole family drives it and you never know who or when it was filled up last .. And I am doing that now but it ran out one time at 188 miles then the time before that it made it 214 miles so don't really know bout that .... Wish I could just find out the problem and fix it !!!
Unread 07-29-2012, 11:10 PM   #4
LRod
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Mine would go waaaay full when it wasn't grounded really good.
LRod is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-29-2012, 11:32 PM   #5
Jonny Jeep
Web Wheeler

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Remove the cluster and try tightening the screws at the back of the gauge. I had a screwed up gauge once and found a loose screw was causing the problem.

Rockauto 5% discount code can be found here... http://www.markviii.org/LOD2/products_services.htm

Online factory service manuals (FSMs) and parts lists can be viewed at http://www.jeep4x4center.com/knowledge-base/index.htm
If the link doesn't work properly, look for the service manual link under Jeep Resources at the bottom of the page.
Jonny Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-01-2012, 12:43 AM   #6
dustintgarner
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I don't think the screws are loose but I will check again . Cause I have had it out and apart looking at it and I even tried the pencil eraser thing on the brass strips see if that would help and nothing even bent the prongs slightly to make sure it had a good connection like one of the blogs says on here .. But thanks I will check the screws!!!!!
Unread 08-01-2012, 12:44 AM   #7
dustintgarner
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Any more ideas???? I would really like to fix this with out having to take to the dealer !!!!!
Unread 08-01-2012, 05:27 AM   #8
enforcer88
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Bad sending unit? New to Jeeps myself so going out on a limb and saying it is in the tank along with the fuel pump. My gauge never goes over 3/4 tank.
enforcer88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-01-2012, 07:27 AM   #9
keithert
Web Wheeler

2005 LJ Wrangler 

I just replaced the fuel pump on my 05 and now the gauge only reads less than half way up the scale. I think either the float level sender on the pump is defective or I somehow have it installed incorrectly. It's not a huge job to take down the tank if it is close to empty. Eventually I'll probably check the pump in the tank.
Unread 08-01-2012, 02:43 PM   #10
Jonny Jeep
Web Wheeler

1997 TJ Wrangler 

It shouldn't be an issue with the sending unit as the gauge is controlled by the cluster and the Actuator Test as Jeep call it has been done and the gauge doesn't work as it should during the test. That suggests a problem with the cluster and a loose screw was the simplest thing I could think of. It's also possible that part of the gauge circuitry is screwed, but other that the actuator test I know of no way of testing the cluster.

Rockauto 5% discount code can be found here... http://www.markviii.org/LOD2/products_services.htm

Online factory service manuals (FSMs) and parts lists can be viewed at http://www.jeep4x4center.com/knowledge-base/index.htm
If the link doesn't work properly, look for the service manual link under Jeep Resources at the bottom of the page.
Jonny Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-01-2012, 03:17 PM   #11
keithert
Web Wheeler

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Can you tell me more about the actuator test? Is that done with a DRB scanner? I have access to a Sun solus scanner that performs some of the same functions.
Unread 08-01-2012, 03:56 PM   #12
mukluk
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithert View Post
Can you tell me more about the actuator test? Is that done with a DRB scanner? I have access to a Sun solus scanner that performs some of the same functions.
Press and hold your odometer reset button then turn the ignition to the "On" position... the gauge cluster will then perform a lamp and gauge test.
mukluk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-01-2012, 04:28 PM   #13
keithert
Web Wheeler

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mukluk

Press and hold your odometer reset button then turn the ignition to the "On" position... the gauge cluster will then perform a lamp and gauge test.
I did that just now but the gauge is still off.
Unread 08-01-2012, 06:46 PM   #14
mukluk
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Are you holding the reset button as you turn the ignition on?
mukluk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-01-2012, 06:50 PM   #15
keithert
Web Wheeler

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Yes, it went through the whole self test process and did move the gauge from quarter to half to full. The issue must be with the device in the pump itself.

Tags
gas , jeep , tj , wrangler

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.