1998 -> 2001 D30&D35 4.10 swap - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 1998 -> 2001 D30&D35 4.10 swap

Dan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGGEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE

Unread 09-07-2012, 08:53 AM   #1
NotaRubi
2001 TJ Wrangler 

1998 -> 2001 D30&D35 4.10 swap

Morning guys. Ive had tonnes of questions answered from viewing this website and figured that I officially became a part of it.
I have a question regarding a axle/gear swap I'm looking at. I have the opportunity to purchase both front and rear ends from a 1998 TJ with 4.10's I currently have the unfavorable D30\D35 3.07 garbage in my 2001. Whether or not the rear has leaf springs, can I just take the guts out of either and throw all of it in my current set-up? I just replaced my front wheel bearings and u-joints as well as ball joints so I'd like to keep that stuff in use.
I'm expecting to rebuild the axles, ie. new bearings, seals, ect, and would like to know of any other hidden expectations I might be looking at.
Thanks, and I hope to hear from someone!

Cheers.

NotaRubi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-07-2012, 09:14 AM   #2
mdm
Farm Wheeler
2000 TJ Wrangler 

The '98 has the same suspension your '01 has. If the '98 axles are in good shape why not just put them under your rig? Why do you feel you need to swap the gears into your current axles? You can move your new unit bearings, shafts, rotors,... to the '98 axle. This would be a lot simpler than swapping the gear sets into your current axles.
Unread 09-07-2012, 09:36 AM   #3
NotaRubi
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks! That's the answer I was looking for!
When reconnecting the yolks to the drive shafts, would there be the need to setup the back-lash? (I think that's the right term).
Thanks for the quick reply.
smalljeep.jpg

NotaRubi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-07-2012, 09:43 AM   #4
mdm
Farm Wheeler
2000 TJ Wrangler 

No. The back lash is internal between the ring and pinion gears. If you just swap the axles, you won't be messing with the gears in any way.

I would just remove the covers, clean the housings out with brake cleaner, do a good inspection of the gears (don't remove or loosen anything, just look), replace the covers, and refill with new fluid.

Once you have the 4.10 axles installed you will need to bleed the brakes.

Tags
axle , gears , swap

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.