1997 Wrangler door won't open - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 1997 Wrangler door won't open

Component speaker deal for your dash - NalinMFGJK Vent Covers - NalinMFGTJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFG

Unread 07-22-2013, 12:03 PM   #1
Drewbix
1997 TJ Wrangler 

1997 Wrangler door won't open

So, for about two months now my outside door handle of my driver side has been touchy. Sometimes it would take me up to five pulls to get the thing open.

Two days ago, the handle just stopped working. I tried reaching in the window and using the interior door handle, and it still didn't work!

I went ahead and opened up what I could fro the inside. Both of the metal rods are in place, and I can hear faint moving/clicking from inside the door, but it still won't open.

Unfortunately, I can't just remove the interior panel and poke around because I can't get the door open. Any ideas?

Drewbix is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-22-2013, 12:42 PM   #2
Drewbix
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Bump
Unread 07-22-2013, 04:41 PM   #3
Stu Olson
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

If I remember correctly, some of the linkages in the door have plastic ends which can and do fail, thus leaving you with a door issue.

Since you can't pull the panel because the door is closed, have you tried a coat hanger or piece of welding rod or something similar to try and open the door from the outside (sliding the rod down past the window seal).
Stu Olson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-22-2013, 04:42 PM   #4
MattJeep
Web Wheeler
2003 WJ 

Dude, Dukes of Hazzard time!
MattJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-22-2013, 05:15 PM   #5
LubbTJ
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Mine sticks because of the rubber molding around the door.. I have to bump it with my hip and it pops open. I can pull the handle and it won't unlatch until I push the whole door inward. Probably not your issue.. but maybe?
LubbTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-23-2013, 12:27 AM   #6
Drewbix
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks guys! (Sorry for the late reply)
For one, I was able to remove my window, so I've been Duke's of Hazarding it all over the place!
Second, I'll definitely try the push the door in/coat hanger methods tomorrow. I figure if I can get past the window sill and get the sucker to pop open I'll be able to get in there and figure all this jazz out.
Unread 07-23-2013, 12:24 PM   #7
Jonny Jeep
Web Wheeler

1997 TJ Wrangler 

If necessary I'd unbolt the seat and shift it out of the way to get the door panel off.

Rockauto 5% discount code can be found here... http://www.markviii.org/LOD2/products_services.htm

Online factory service manuals (FSMs) and parts lists can be viewed at http://www.jeep4x4center.com/knowledge-base/index.htm
If the link doesn't work properly, look for the service manual link under Jeep Resources at the bottom of the page.
Jonny Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.