1997 TJ won't start, need help! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 1997 TJ won't start, need help!

Poison spyder items @ oconee off road 706 534 9955Jeep Wrangler Framless, Bowless, Trektops 92-95 YJ, 97-06 TJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFG

Unread 05-06-2012, 01:26 PM   #1
offroadjoe1998
1997 TJ Wrangler 

1997 TJ won't start, need help!

Okay, here's the situation. I have a 1997 TJ with a 4.0 and 145, XXX miles. I had an issue with the cat converter and downstream O2 sensor recently so I replaced the entire exhaust system after the header and both O2 sensors. The Jeep drove horribly for a couple of days, it had NO power over 2000 rpm. I replaced the TPS to no avail. I then realized that the air filter I was using was completely clogged. It ran GREAT for a week, plenty of power but, after an oil change I found that I was losing oil at an alarming rate. I changed the valve cover and the oil filter (the gasket on the filter was not sealed to the filter) as well as put a new gasket on the distributor and some PTFE tape on the oil pressure plug and sensor because there was oil coming from that area (which I later realized was the filter seal). Put it all back together and, now it won't start at all. I've been searching the forum and replaced the distributor and crank position sensor. The car and rotor and wires are only a few months old, I've checked each wire, there's a spark. New plugs. My only thought is fuel pump or ECU, or one of my new parts is bad too. I can hear the fuel pump wind up with the key turned to on and the fuel rail purge valve does squirt fuel every time I check it, which leads me to think it's an ECU issue, like I say though, it was running great just 4 days ago. Any ideas?

offroadjoe1998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-06-2012, 02:08 PM   #2
1JeepCreep
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Had similar problem with by 99 4.0/3 spd. just a few days ago. Ended up being the camshaft position sensor (aka. stator?)
inside the distributor cap. We R&R'd the crankshaft ps, the coil (couldn't get a spark and didn't test so hot on a meter)
before just replacing the entire cap/rotor/cs sensor group. Wasn't throwing a code for it either. Mine has 103k on it.

Is your's turning over...trying to start?
1JeepCreep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-06-2012, 03:12 PM   #3
offroadjoe1998
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Yeah 1JeepCreep, it turns over and will occasionally backfire just a bit but it won't start. It finally started once last night (before I replaced the distributor and CPS this morning) but anything more than idling resulted in backfiring, the timing seemed way off. I've since moved #1 piston to TDC and reset the distributor to the correct position, but no luck, it just turns over and occasionally coughs at me.
Unread 05-06-2012, 06:03 PM   #4
n5xl

When you say you replaced the distributor, do you mean the entire assembly (with the shaft that sticks down into the engine) or are you talking about just the cap and rotor on top of the distributor? If you did replace the entire distributor assembly, did you get a new pick up coil with it or are you using the original pickup coil? If you've not replaced the pickup coil under the plate in the distributor, you might consider it. Are you getting spark at the spark plugs ?
n5xl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-06-2012, 06:54 PM   #5
Curly5759
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by offroadjoe1998 View Post
Yeah 1JeepCreep, it turns over and will occasionally backfire just a bit but it won't start. It finally started once last night (before I replaced the distributor and CPS this morning) but anything more than idling resulted in backfiring, the timing seemed way off. I've since moved #1 piston to TDC and reset the distributor to the correct position, but no luck, it just turns over and occasionally coughs at me.
Part of the problem is here. Moving the distributor has NO effect on ignition timing, that is controlled by the PCM. The Crank sensor is the signal for timing, and it is NOT adjustable.

Moving the distributor WILL affect fuel injection since the sensor in the Distributor is a Cam Position sensor (not a stator) and is used by the pcm to 'time' the injection.

You need to reset the distributor to the correct position as outlined in the FSM.

Curly
Unread 05-06-2012, 07:57 PM   #6
offroadjoe1998
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by n5xl View Post
When you say you replaced the distributor, do you mean the entire assembly (with the shaft that sticks down into the engine) or are you talking about just the cap and rotor on top of the distributor? If you did replace the entire distributor assembly, did you get a new pick up coil with it or are you using the original pickup coil? If you've not replaced the pickup coil under the plate in the distributor, you might consider it. Are you getting spark at the spark plugs ?
Yes, I replaced the entire distributor that did include a new pickup coil. The cap and rotor were replaced a few months ago so I just reused those.
Unread 05-06-2012, 08:03 PM   #7
offroadjoe1998
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curly5759 View Post
Part of the problem is here. Moving the distributor has NO effect on ignition timing, that is controlled by the PCM. The Crank sensor is the signal for timing, and it is NOT adjustable.

Moving the distributor WILL affect fuel injection since the sensor in the Distributor is a Cam Position sensor (not a stator) and is used by the pcm to 'time' the injection.

You need to reset the distributor to the correct position as outlined in the FSM.

Curly
I was under the impression that moving #1 cylinder to TDC and setting the distributor to point the rotor to plug wire tower #1 was the correct way to "set" timing. I found the link to the online FSM earlier, I'll look to see if I can find another way.
Unread 05-13-2012, 03:58 PM   #8
offroadjoe1998
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Update. After much searching and working I determined that, perhaps the fuel pump was pumping, but not at the proper pressure. I also had the distinct smell of fuel every time I would attempt to start the Jeep, so I replaced the purge canister solenoid as well as the fuel pump. After replacing these, it still wouldn't start so I reset the distributor one more time and it started and is running. Thanks for your help JF.

Tags
97 , sensor , won't start

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.