1997 TJ - oil leaking! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 1997 TJ - oil leaking!

Want to be able to SEE? DOT Approved Headlights for under Coil Spring Options from Ruffstuff!Flush Mount LED Bumper Lights, CREE

Unread 05-25-2010, 03:03 PM   #1
97TJfish22
1997 TJ Wrangler 

1997 TJ - oil leaking!

Ok so I recently purchased my first Wrangler and, from what I have read, am experiencing some of the typical problems a jeep owner deals with. I bought it two weeks ago, and since then, have replaced the radiator, distributor cap and rotor, pulgs/wires, air filter, and changed the oil in both diffs and the engine.

This is what I have:
97 TJ - 2.5L 4cyl - 5sp Manual - 6" lift and 33x12.5in Coopers STTs
Otherwise it is STOCK.

Anyway, after the oil change, done by a local auto repair shop, I noticed a small about of oil (drops, no stream) leaking from the bottom of the motor. More specifically, the lip on the transmission bell housing. Obviously I took it back to the repair shop and they proceeded to blame everything under the sun for why it is leaking. Regardless of their suggestions, I can tell you this about the leak:

1) The valve cover gasket is new - no wetness at or below this line
2) The head gasket could be old - however, there is NO fresh oil running down the sides or front of the motor
3) There is no oil around the oil pan gasket
4) From a cold start to full temp (about 180 degrees) under idle, no leaking - only when I drive the jeep does oil appear to leak and subsequently shoot all over the front of the trans/skid plate
5) The majority of the oil leakage appears to be running down the front of the trans/inspection box
6) The fluid is BROWN - no red/green

Since it is lifted 6", it is very easy to crawl under and inspect the motor/trans. The repair shop cleaned everything off so you would think it would be easier to pinpoint the leak - all this did was prove out leaking points at or above the head gasket - but I cant be sure.

Ok, this is where I may be shooting myself in the foot here but I am going to mention the REAR MAIN SEAL. I am thinking this is the culprit. What is wierd is that before I took it in for the oil change, I had NO LEAKING problem. What could have happened is that the last owner put a heavier wieght oil to "stop/slow down" the leak and when they replaced it with 5w30, the leak resurfaced - any truth to this?

At this point I am looking for EXPERT advice on what could be the issue - I will try to answer questions if I havent provided enough information above.

Thanks and HELP!!!!!

97TJfish22 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-25-2010, 03:08 PM   #2
TheBoogieman
Demonic Jeep Freak!

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Rear main seal.
[Repair] Rear Main Seal Replacement
TheBoogieman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-25-2010, 03:17 PM   #3
97TJfish22
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I have seen those instructions, but aren't they for a 4.0L? From what I have read, the 2.5L sawp out is possibly longer and more difficult - like pulling the trans - but I have yet to come across a good set of instructions.
Unread 05-26-2010, 10:25 AM   #4
97TJfish22
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Anyone ever heard of adding a heavier wieght oil to slow/stop the leak? It's got 5w30 in it, thinking of going to 10w30 synthetic and adding lucas oil stablizer.
Unread 06-23-2010, 07:31 PM   #5
scottbr
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Slightly heavier weight oil really won't do any good leak-wise, and synthetic will leak more than regular dino oil.
scottbr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-27-2012, 08:46 AM   #6
citadeltango26
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I see this post is old but I too had the same problem. My jeep is a 4.0 and what I did was run that "STOP LEAK" stuff that includes stopping leaks for the rear main seal. I cleaned off the oil and ran the jeep about 200 miles and the leak stopped. I was surprised because I was certain that it wouldn't work but it did. It could be worth a try rather than changing out the seal.
citadeltango26 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-27-2012, 10:03 AM   #7
duckman1
2006 LJ Wrangler 

I noticed mine leaked at the rear main after my last oil change, I had switched to Mobil 1 syn. I will be switching back to the dino oil in a couple of weeks to see if it stops it.

Tags
1997 tj , 2.5l , oil leaking , rear main seal

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.