Ok so I recently purchased my first Wrangler and, from what I have read, am experiencing some of the typical problems a jeep owner deals with. I bought it two weeks ago, and since then, have replaced the radiator, distributor cap and rotor, pulgs/wires, air filter, and changed the oil in both diffs and the engine.
This is what I have:
97 TJ - 2.5L 4cyl - 5sp Manual - 6" lift and 33x12.5in Coopers STTs
Otherwise it is STOCK.
Anyway, after the oil change, done by a local auto repair shop, I noticed a small about of oil (drops, no stream) leaking from the bottom of the motor. More specifically, the lip on the transmission bell housing. Obviously I took it back to the repair shop and they proceeded to blame everything under the sun for why it is leaking. Regardless of their suggestions, I can tell you this about the leak:
1) The valve cover gasket is new - no wetness at or below this line
2) The head gasket could be old - however, there is NO fresh oil running down the sides or front of the motor
3) There is no oil around the oil pan gasket
4) From a cold start to full temp (about 180 degrees) under idle, no leaking - only when I drive the jeep does oil appear to leak and subsequently shoot all over the front of the trans/skid plate
5) The majority of the oil leakage appears to be running down the front of the trans/inspection box
6) The fluid is BROWN - no red/green
Since it is lifted 6", it is very easy to crawl under and inspect the motor/trans. The repair shop cleaned everything off so you would think it would be easier to pinpoint the leak - all this did was prove out leaking points at or above the head gasket - but I cant be sure.
Ok, this is where I may be shooting myself in the foot here but I am going to mention the REAR MAIN SEAL. I am thinking this is the culprit. What is wierd is that before I took it in for the oil change, I had NO LEAKING problem. What could have happened is that the last owner put a heavier wieght oil to "stop/slow down" the leak and when they replaced it with 5w30, the leak resurfaced - any truth to this?
At this point I am looking for EXPERT advice on what could be the issue - I will try to answer questions if I havent provided enough information above.
Thanks and HELP!!!!!