1997 Jeep Wrangler 2.5L 4 cyl... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 1997 Jeep Wrangler 2.5L 4 cyl...

Happy Thursday! From Morris 4X4 CenterHalloween Savings to die for!THE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15/16″ Big Brake Kit w/Bla

Unread 05-30-2007, 04:49 PM   #1
JeepMan905

1997 Jeep Wrangler 2.5L 4 cyl...

Hi everyone,

I recently just bought my first wrangler and love it! However, I noticed today that it did not come with an owners manual. I noticed this because I was checking my fuses under the hood and noticed that some of them are blown or not working. I called a few Jeep dealers to see if they could fax me a page of what the fuses are for and what they do, but they couldn't. So I was just wondering if any1 has a printout or anything that will tell me what the fuses are for. I have numbers, and colors, but the fuse box does not say what the fuse does. It says "read owners manual". I need to know what does what and have no way of finding it out. Thanks alot guys, hope ya can help!

JeepMan905 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-30-2007, 05:36 PM   #2
RnEmOvr
Have Cummins, Will tow.

1999 TJ Wrangler 

check http://www.stu-offroad.com/index.shtml it may be on there,

also where in PA

Looking to swap my 4" springs for your 2-3" springs. PM for details.
RnEmOvr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-30-2007, 05:38 PM   #3
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Get a flashlight and you will find that the fuse box is labeled at each fuse position. The labels are cryptic but usable.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.
Jerry Bransford is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-30-2007, 09:29 PM   #4
JeepMan905

i am from Lancaster, and also it does not say it on the fuse box, i looked 2 times. The relays and some of the smaller fuses are labeled but the bigger fuses on top are not. It says refer to owners manual.
Unread 05-30-2007, 09:33 PM   #5
JeepMan905

thanks for that site. however, it didnt have what i need...any1 else have any suggestions?
Unread 05-30-2007, 09:38 PM   #6
JeepMan905

i dunno maybe if i give some1 the fuse #'s and if they have the same year jeep, they can look in their manual and tell me what they do?
Unread 05-30-2007, 09:57 PM   #7
SJP
TJ Wrangler 

From page 181 in the 1997 Jeep Wrangler Owner's Manual, 2nd Ed, 1996 Chrysler Corp.

2 40A Orange Starter Relay/ Ignition Switch - Run Only
3 30A Green Battery Feed to Ignition Switch - Run, Start, Acc.
4 40A Orange Exterior Lighting
5 20A Yellow Acc., Power Outlet
6 30A Green Auto Shutdown Relay
7 20A Yellow Auxiliary Coolant Fan Relay (2.5L Only)
8 Open
9 20A Yellow Multifunction Switch
10 30A Green Headlights
11 40A Orange High Blower Relay
12 Open
13 30A Green ABS System Relay
14 40A Orange ABS Pump Relay
15 30A Green Heated Back Light Relay
16 20A mini Yellow Fuel Pump Relay
17 10A mini Red Interior Courtesey Lights, Ignition Off Draw (I.O.D.)
18 Open
19 10A mini Red A/C Clutch Relay
20 20A mini Yellow
21 Open
Unread 05-31-2007, 06:28 AM   #8
JeepMan905

^thanks that helped alot. however, the fuse that was blown was #5, and the other 2 (#7, & #15) were not even in. therefore i am not sure if i should put #7 back in, or just all 3 of them. do you know exactly what power outlet, aux coolant fan relay, or heated back light relay do? meaning what all does the power outlet control? i have a electric fan so i dont think ill need #7, and i have no idea what a heated back light would do?

Last edited by JeepMan905; 05-31-2007 at 06:38 AM..
Unread 05-31-2007, 08:04 AM   #9
rudyyj
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepMan905
^thanks that helped alot. however, the fuse that was blown was #5, and the other 2 (#7, & #15) were not even in. therefore i am not sure if i should put #7 back in, or just all 3 of them. do you know exactly what power outlet, aux coolant fan relay, or heated back light relay do? meaning what all does the power outlet control? i have a electric fan so i dont think ill need #7, and i have no idea what a heated back light would do?

in my factory service manual 7,8,12,18,21 should be empty

fuse 15 is for the rear window defogger on hard tops and is empty on soft tops

fuse 5 is the cigarette lighter / accessory position fuse

replace number 5 the rest you don't need...#5 can blow because of someone being stupid with something they plugged into the cigar lighter. seeing you just bought it, i would just replace it and see if it blows again before i looked any further
rudyyj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-31-2007, 10:47 AM   #10
SJP
TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepMan905
The #5 fuse is for the cigarette lighter. #7 Sounds to be for an electric A/C cooling fan. #15 sounds to be the rear defroster, but I'm not certain. My 1998 FSM lists it as such, but they vary from year to year, so it might be different.

What you have listed above is verbatim from the 1997 Owner's Manual. As I don't have a specific 1997 FSM, I can't check the wiring diagrams to verify either #7 or #15.
Unread 05-31-2007, 10:48 AM   #11
SJP
TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudyyj
in my factory service manual 7,8,12,18,21 should be empty

fuse 15 is for the rear window defogger on hard tops and is empty on soft tops

fuse 5 is the cigarette lighter / accessory position fuse

replace number 5 the rest you don't need...#5 can blow because of someone being stupid with something they plugged into the cigar lighter. seeing you just bought it, i would just replace it and see if it blows again before i looked any further
Is yours specifically a 1997 FSM? If so, this wouldn't be the first time that the Owner's Manual and the FSM weren't in strict agreement with one another.
Unread 05-31-2007, 02:24 PM   #12
JeepMan905

thanks for all the help guys, really appreciate it

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.