1997 Jeep Wrangler 2.5 wont run - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 1997 Jeep Wrangler 2.5 wont run

Black Friday Sale - Deep Discounts from ExtremeTerrain.com6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome Effect

Unread 10-30-2008, 05:33 AM   #1
JDiMassi
1995 XJ Cherokee 

1997 Jeep Wrangler 2.5 wont run

hey guys im gonna write a little story for yas here im at a loss we have this vehicle at our shop and its been here tooo long im missing something and i hope yous can help

got the vehicle in after the guy blew his 2.5 didnt want us to get the engine so he got a 95 2.5 and swapped everything over from his 97 put it in and it wont run im getting a code 11 or p1391 replaced the crank sensor check all wiring replaced the cam sensor or i think they call it the stator/pickup on distributor and cleared codes and it cranks and cranks and cranks and fires but will run horrible and i have to feather the gas to keep it running its not drivable

also replaced injectors with a grand cherokee set as the orig ones wouldnt spray

is there a special procedure for setting the timing on a 97?

firing order is right

timing may be off i set distrib as it says in chilton manual but i never worked on a 97 so any input would be greatly appreciated guys id like to get rid of this vehicle

fuel pressure is at 46 while cranking to

also when engine is if you want to call it "running" the tach is alll over the place when i know engine is barely at 1000rpm it will bounce to 6k then to 4k then down to 2k its weird

thanks again guys

JDiMassi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-08-2008, 03:58 PM   #2
JDiMassi
1995 XJ Cherokee 

97 2.5 4cyl m/t

replaced distributor as bearings felt a little sloppy .......still no change

drained gas tank put fresh fuel in ....no change

can anyone send me a picture of there timing top dead center a pic of the distributor so i can see where maybe i got the rotor off a little bit
Unread 11-08-2008, 04:05 PM   #3
Luckyduck
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I wish I could, but it is pitch black here.

Did you make sure you are getting spark at all the plugs? replace the plugs? did the guy say the 95 engine worked fine? did you get the wiring harness with the 95 engine?

CentralMass4wd.com

1993 Ranger 2wd - dd
1999 wranger 2.5 - it gets used for something
1978 international scout - being built
1998 Cherokee sport 4.0 auto
1957 CJ5 - restoring back to stock http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showt...54#post5168554
Bikes:2000 Ducati Monster 900: 2001 CBR 600 F4i: 1980 CB 900
my build http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/my-build-thread-those-us-low-budgets-550786/
Luckyduck is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-08-2008, 04:51 PM   #4
GOLENJEEPTJ
Running Secretly Amok!

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDiMassi View Post
hey guys im gonna write a little story for yas here im at a loss we have this vehicle at our shop and its been here tooo long im missing something and i hope yous can help

got the vehicle in after the guy blew his 2.5 didnt want us to get the engine so he got a 95 2.5 and swapped everything over from his 97 put it in and it wont run im getting a code 11 or p1391 replaced the crank sensor check all wiring replaced the cam sensor or i think they call it the stator/pickup on distributor and cleared codes and it cranks and cranks and cranks and fires but will run horrible and i have to feather the gas to keep it running its not drivable

also replaced injectors with a grand cherokee set as the orig ones wouldnt spray

is there a special procedure for setting the timing on a 97?

firing order is right

timing may be off i set distrib as it says in chilton manual but i never worked on a 97 so any input would be greatly appreciated guys id like to get rid of this vehicle

fuel pressure is at 46 while cranking to

also when engine is if you want to call it "running" the tach is alll over the place when i know engine is barely at 1000rpm it will bounce to 6k then to 4k then down to 2k its weird

thanks again guys
Did you put a new paper gasket on your crankshaft sensor? If you didn't that is probably your problem!
GOLENJEEPTJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-11-2008, 05:55 PM   #5
JDiMassi
1995 XJ Cherokee 

no paper gasket on sensor old origional didnt have one ??

are they flywheel and clutch asseblys different from 95 to 97 the guy left the clutch flywheel and all on fomr the 95 motor and put in the 97 i talked to a jeep service guy and he said maybe flywheel as im getting the code 11 on the dash or (p1391) so im almost out of options here prolly gonna pull engine out and replace clutch flywheel and check front timing no ones opened up timing cover but who knows

new plugs wire cap rotor distributor cam sensor crank sensor battery its about time to give up lol
Unread 11-12-2008, 04:23 AM   #6
JDiMassi
1995 XJ Cherokee 

i checked on the flywheels no way there different but what i did notice

2 different part numbers for crankshaft position sensors
1 for the 1995 jeep (which i think i have on it now)
1 for the 1997 jeep (that i should have on there but do not)

i think i may have screwed up when i ordered it so im gonna have the parts store bring me another one for the 1997

i just want to keep you guys up to date
Unread 11-20-2008, 11:56 PM   #7
JDiMassi
1995 XJ Cherokee 

NOOOOO LUUUCCCKKK errrrrrr

any suggestions here guys im at a loss and thinking of pulling the engine out

im not ready to say the flywheels bad but i wont know till i pull it all out right?

changed the sensor and still get code 11 or 1391 and the thing wont run unless i feather the throttle and its not even lot driveable and the tach is alllll over the place which i still cant figure out

the rotor on the distributor at 0 degrees tdc is just touching the number one terminal which is what the dealer told me to set it at

any ideas similar problems any input appreciated

46psi fuel pressure
Unread 11-21-2008, 05:22 PM   #8
Luckyduck
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I have no idea but I will give you a bump. I would not think you need to pull the engine. But i guess you have the option of pulling the engine or transmission...

CentralMass4wd.com

1993 Ranger 2wd - dd
1999 wranger 2.5 - it gets used for something
1978 international scout - being built
1998 Cherokee sport 4.0 auto
1957 CJ5 - restoring back to stock http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showt...54#post5168554
Bikes:2000 Ducati Monster 900: 2001 CBR 600 F4i: 1980 CB 900
my build http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=550786
Luckyduck is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-21-2008, 07:45 PM   #9
little4x4
2000 TJ Wrangler 

i put an older motor 2.5L in my 97 tj when i had it and found out the tooth count is diff on the crank shaft i could get it started the tach would go all over the place it would only run with the throttle almost wide open... and it ran like crap... had to pull the motor and swaped out the flywheel (5 speed) and all was good ran just fine after that. I don't know what year the engine came out of but it was not MPI it was throttle body inj. i hope this helps.
00 tj Old man emu susp. 1" bl 285x75 Procomp Xterrain's warn x8000i in an ARB fnt bumper custom rear with tire carrier, high lift jack locked in fnt and LSD in the rear, sway bar disconnect, steering engine and fuel tank skids, 4L engine, 5 speed tranny, 4.10s and a few other things.
little4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-26-2008, 08:21 PM   #10
JDiMassi
1995 XJ Cherokee 

little 4x4 you just answered everything i was asking the motor is out of a 95 tbi engine and the guy put the 97 fuel inj stuff on and i think what you said makes perfect sense so im gonna change the flywheel

whats easier pulling engine or pulling tranny lol

weird thing is parts store lists same part number for 95 flywheel and 97 flywheel weird??

unless the motor is in fact not a 95 and maybe a 92 or older with tbi i know for a fact it was tbi cuz the guy pulled all that stuff off im gonna change the flywheel thanks again buddy ill let yous all know
Unread 01-26-2009, 07:24 PM   #11
JDiMassi
1995 XJ Cherokee 

replaced flywheel with the one from the 97 which belongs in it

broke map sensor pulling engine so maybe why it wouldnt start

or my timing is still off set it up as book says but it always drops in like 1 or 2 teeth past bolt hole i clamed dist down and still no start any suggestions

map sensor first then fine tune timing?
Unread 01-26-2009, 07:45 PM   #12
Socaljeep1

2006 TJ Wrangler 

My brother in-law had a similar problem in his YJ. Turned out to be the fuel relays (2).

/l ,[____],
l---L-OlllllllO-

()_) ()_)-o-)_)

http://www.keystoneoffroadclub.com/index.html
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Keystone-Off-Road-Club
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/group...an-jeep-group/
Socaljeep1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-06-2009, 04:36 PM   #13
JDiMassi
1995 XJ Cherokee 

ok put in map sensor still not working

i checked the door sticker and it was mfg 2/96 that makes it a 96?
or a 97?

because theres different part numbers between 95 and 97 want to make sure we have the right parts on there because it should have fired by now im only unsure of the crank and distributor pickup right now so i dont know this jeep is turning into a nightmare

dont see anything for a 96 jeep wrangler so maybe its a 95?
Unread 02-10-2009, 07:32 PM   #14
JDiMassi
1995 XJ Cherokee 

THE TRUCK IS DONE AND OUT OF MY SHOP THANKS TO ALL WHO CONTRIBUTED I APPRECIATE IT ALOT

the truck was a 97 as they made them with the redeisgn as early at jan of 96 i guess

i got the timing set up and once the lifters primed up and all the old gas in the injectors and carbon and such burned off the motor ran like a top and ran good real good i buttoned it up and delived it to the customer so we dont have to see it thank again guys

TOPICCCCC CLOSED haha

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.