1997 Jeep Diesel misc stuff - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 Old 02-10-2016, 10:06 PM Thread Starter
Triplemaxxx
1997 TJ Wrangler 

1997 Jeep Diesel misc stuff

Ok, so a little back ground. I put together a 1970 DJ postal Right hand drive Jeep. It had a 4cyl Mercedes diesel/ax15 5 speed/dana300. Well after a lot of money and time, the Jeep wasn't practical because its a postal basically. Skipping a lot of detail...I knew I just needed a newer jeep as a starting point and knew I wanted round headlights lol. Don't tell the YJ guys I said that! Ok on with my post!

My basic goal is to have the transmission back bone stock. I have a 4cyl ax5 now. So I am stealing the ax15 and adapter from postal jeep. I have a om617 5cyl diesel. Some questions I have are:

Is the transmission cross bar the same between 4cyl and 6cyl models?
Is the driveshaft the same between 4 and 6 cyl models?
About the transfer case.....NP231...my 4 banger won't work correct?21 vs 23 spline right?
Any other thoughts are always welcome and if you know of someone or someone on this board that has done this diesel swap, let me know please. Just have random questions. Ive been down this road with my last jeep but any helpful insight just saves time. On my postal, I had no help and everything was trial and error since no one had done it to a postal jeep. Figure this time around id rather not reinvent the wheel

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 02-12-2016, 03:04 AM
mukluk
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Is the transmission cross bar the same between 4cyl and 6cyl models?
If by transmission cross bar you mean transfer case skid plate, yes they're the same. The skid changed to a deeper design with different mount hole offset in 2002 (AKA the "shovel" skid plate).

Is the driveshaft the same between 4 and 6 cyl models?
The front driveshafts for the stick shift are both the same I believe, the auto uses a slightly skinnier version in order to clear the trans. The rear driveshafts vary slightly in length, depending on the rear axle installed.

About the transfer case.....NP231...my 4 banger won't work correct?21 vs 23 spline right?
The 231 for the 4.0L (manual and auto) and the 2.5L w/auto used a 23 spline input, the 4 banger w/AX5 used a 21 spline. There are also some differences as to the length of the input as well depending on what year the case came out of if I recall correctly, a search on the subject should show up better details.

2000 TJ SE
2005 LJ Rubicon
post #3 of 4 Old 02-12-2016, 07:03 PM Thread Starter
Triplemaxxx
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Thank you, that is what I needed! I can prepare with 2 of the 3 and then when motor and trans is all done, ill figure out the driveshaft. Thanks again!
post #4 of 4 Old 02-15-2016, 12:50 PM
-JD-
2006 LJ Wrangler 

In case you weren't aware, you can get (mostly) a kit to handle a lot of the major adaptation to drop in your MB diesel: http://www.mercedesdiesel4x4.com/

2006 Rubicon Unlimited 6-Sp Manual - 285/75/16 Cooper ST MAXX/stock Moab wheels, Savvy Under Armor BL/MML, Savvy Step-Rocker/Sliders, Savvy/Currie Ultimate Steering, Savvy UCAs, Currie LCAs, TBs and BSs, Nth/AEV 3" Springs, Rancho 9000XLs (255s/256s), ARB D44 Diff covers, Savvy/Tom Woods HD Rubicon Rear drive shaft, Genright Safari 31gal Tank Soon: Savvy LED Lights, new engine :-(

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.