1997 4.0L 6 Maintenance - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 1997 4.0L 6 Maintenance

Engo LED Flush Mount Lights *PAIR* Flood or Spot 1,600 LumYukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon ZipRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits

Unread 07-16-2010, 09:23 PM   #1
Sav97TJ
1997 TJ Wrangler 

1997 4.0L 6 Maintenance

New to Jeeps and forum. Great resources here. First post for me!
I have a new to me 1997 Wrangler Sport 4.0L 6 Cylinder Manual 5 spd with 33k on the engine. I unfortunately don't have any service records for the vehicle. Besides all the fun stuff(lift, tires, bumpers), what should I do to the vehicle in relations to the engine and drive train. I've seen tune up kits fairly inexpensive on the internet. Worth the time? Should I have all the fluids flushed? Engine seems to be running well although a little rough at idle. I have no experience with this particular engine so not sure if that is normal. With the age of the vehicle, not sure if normal guidelines apply or if an accelerated list of pm should be performed. Any insight would be great. Thanks

Sav97TJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-16-2010, 09:30 PM   #2
freeskier93
Web Wheeler

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Welcome to the forum!

Go take a trip to your local auto parts store and get a new air filter, distributor cap and rotor, plug wires, champion spark plugs, and engine oil. I use 10-w30 mobil-1 full synthetic and for spark plugs don't get anything fancy. The 4.0 does not run well on those fancy double platinum import plugs. Some good Champion Single platinum plugs are good plugs.

These next ones are just bonuses:

Ignition coil pack and o2 sensors wouldn't be a bad thing. Diff. oil, tranny oil, and t-case oil could be changed. Pop open the radiator cap and take a look at the coolant. If its gross and rusty brown flush it, back flush it, and flush the heater core real good. Depending on the condition of the radiator you might want to replace it with all metal. I have a 97 and mine is disgusting and leaks out the crimps if filled to high. Flushed my system and the next day the new coolant was already disgusting again. But If money doesn't allow I wouldn't worry about it.

The 4.0 is a great engine and should actually run pretty smooth. Its an Inline 6 so it is very balanced and should not be rough. Though it does make noises so don't get to worried about that, only get worried when new unknown noises pop up.
freeskier93 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-16-2010, 10:23 PM   #3
GOLENJEEPTJ
Running Secretly Amok!

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Welcome! Read the "stickys". http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/tj-forum-faq-615132/
GOLENJEEPTJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-16-2010, 11:23 PM   #4
RogueSpear2023
2003 TJ Wrangler 

As stated check the plug wires and see how they look before replacing, pull the spark plugs and check them, they may be able to tell yo why you rough idling. Change the oil immediately, buy a new air filter if it is dirty. Next look at the transmission fluid is it still red or brown, if it brown it's time to replace it. Coolant is the next thing that should be done, every 3 yrs it should be replaced regardless of mileage. Replace the t-case fluid, and differentials if you have no idea when they were changed, because they are often forgotten. Check you power steering and brake fluid to make sure they haven't turned to sludge, replace those if necessary.

So the short list would be engine oil, coolant, t-case, and differentials. If needed, change the other fluids.

2003 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
4.0L, 42RLE, Dual Tops, Full Doors, JKS Front Disconnects, Cragar Soft 8 Black Wheels, 33x12.5x15 Goodyear Duratracs, .75" Front Coil Spacers, Bushwacker 6" Flat Fender Flares, Skid Row Steering Box Skid, LubeLockers, Rubicon Locker Mod, OBA, Cobra 19 Ultra III CB, 3' Firestik, Rough Country 2.2 Steering Stabilizer, RC 1.25" BL, RC 1" MML, RC Grab Handles, Fog Lamp Bent Pin Mod, 4" Apline S Series Speakers, Kenwood Excelon 6.5" Speakers, 6.5" JL Audio 6W3V3 Subwoofer (in center console) w/MTX Thunder 202 amp, IPF H4 Headlight Housing, Sliverstar H4 bulbs.

TJ Tech Boot Camp
TJ Specs

"Buying a jeep and not taking it off road, is like buying a dragster and never taking it to the track"
RogueSpear2023 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-17-2010, 05:25 AM   #5
BJN644
1997 TJ Wrangler 

You should also pull the front drive shaft and inspect and lube the double cardan joint. This has got to be the number 1 neglected maint. item and can cause all kinds of problems.
BJN644 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-17-2010, 06:01 AM   #6
TheBoogieman
Demonic Jeep Freak!

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Welcome to JF.
TheBoogieman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
jeep , maintenance

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.