1997 2.5 will not start on incline and rough start/idle when cold. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 1997 2.5 will not start on incline and rough start/idle when cold.

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 11-24-2009, 09:39 AM   #1
BuckeyeTJ
1997 TJ Wrangler 

1997 2.5 will not start on incline and rough start/idle when cold.

Ok I will try to be as detailed as I can,

I have a 1997 TJ with the 2.5L engine. A few months ago I was having trouble starting the vehicle and got code for bad throttle position sensor. Ran Ohm meter on it and was intermittent on reading some good some bad. I replaced the sensor, and reset the error codes.

Jeep worked good for a few days then having same symptoms again. Once again TPS code but readings on sensor were good. Checked IAC and was not getting good readings from it so I read on here to just take it apart and clean IAC sensor.

Unfortunatly IAC broke plunger would not stay on sensor threads in sensor looked like they might have been stripped. I replaced the sensor and reset the codes again. Jeep worked right for a day but later that night when I was leaving work Jeep is having trouble starting. Eventually it started but another code came up and it is having trouble starting in the cold and will not start on inclines facing up hill.

Forums suggest fuel pressure regulator and/or fuel pump. Can you do the fuel rail test on 2.5 engine most forums I was reading states vehicle is 4.0.

Thanks in advance for the help.

[URL="http://www.southernohiojeepers.com"]Southern Ohio Jeepers Association[/URL]
[COLOR="Black"]Black Jeep Society Member[/COLOR]
[COLOR="Navy"]USN Jeep Club Hull #78[/COLOR][/B][/COLOR]
BuckeyeTJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.