1990 Fuel Pump Problem - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 1990 Fuel Pump Problem

Dan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGGEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE

Unread 06-21-2007, 06:31 PM   #1
BlackRifle223

1990 Fuel Pump Problem

Hey everyone,
Long time lurker first time poster. I am just getting my start in jeep powered off-roading. I bought a black 1990 2dr Jeep Cherokee Laredo with a 4.0 liter and automatic transmission from my parents. I got it cheap, but its not without its problems. Over the past several years, my Jeep has mostly sat in a state of disrepair. There seems to be a chronic problem with the fuel pump burning out. We've had 3 factory jeep/mopar fuel pumps over the years and all 3 have burned out in a short amount of time. We have had it to mechanics/technicians all over Iowa and Wisconsin (where we bought it) and none of them have been able to successfully diagnose the problem.

My dad and I have nearly exhausted our patients. I was hoping some of you could offer a new direction to look in besides simply replacing the pump again, as there is obviously a problem elsewhere. Perhaps there is someone who has had similar problems or that no of a specific problem with that particular model year. HELP!!!

I have big plans, like everybody else on this board, for my new jeep, but my immediate concern is to have a dependable running vehicle first.

Thank you for your help,

-BlackRifle

BlackRifle223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-21-2007, 07:04 PM   #2
roadrunner2348
2002 TJ Wrangler 

A friend of mine is in mechanics school and they ran into that issue with another students car. In that case it turned out to be a bad ground. It can't hurt to check that at this point, maybe tie in another ground for good measure.

BTW in case you didn't do it on purpose you posted this in the TJ section. Cherokees have their own section.

Justin

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.