JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   TJ Wrangler Technical Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/)
-   -   18yr old Daughter's Jeep Ideas, What you think?? (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/18yr-old-daughters-jeep-ideas-what-you-think-1286998/)

HanksRide 11-08-2011 06:33 PM

18yr old Daughter's Jeep Ideas, What you think??

Daughter has a 04TJ, 4.0L, Automatic, Stock with what I believe is 3.07 gears. It sits really low, stock tires and all. She drives this thing from college to home on weekends (interstate 90 miles one way) and runs around college in it so the last thing I want to do is sacrifice drivability here. For X-Mas I wanted to put about a 2.5 inch lift, 31X10.50's and new wheels.

I am used to driving my YJ with leaf springs 5"'s of lift and 33's. To do all of that I had to get into a SYE, workout vibes and driveability issues but now it is great.

Driving her TJ and it seems like it floats around the road a bit more than my YJ, I know that is the coil springs doing that so I didn't no how much that would be amplified if I lift it 2.5" plus a little bigger tires.

Also didn't know how the auto tranny / power would be with the 3.07 gears and 31's. Also not trying to totally kill the gas mileage.

I know it sits way to low, oil pan already has a dent from a rock when we got the jeep. I know I can run 31's with no lift but I still want to get it up just a little more due to clearance issues.

Any thoughts on type of lift and anything else I may have forgot about would be appreciated. Also if anyone else has a jeep set up in this similar fashion I would enjoy seeing a pic along with comments of performance.

Thanks,

:2thumbsup:

GOLENJEEPTJ 11-08-2011 06:36 PM

Maybe check here first for comparison?
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/wh...ke-lift-46712/

Matt L 11-08-2011 06:41 PM

Does she really want jeep parts or does Dad?

danielbuck 11-08-2011 06:44 PM

as far as drivability, after the 2" BDS spring lift and 32" tires on mine, it rode every bit as good as stock (stock had 31" tires though), maybe even better since it still had the factory shocks on it before the lift.

Unlimited04 11-08-2011 06:49 PM

i'm pretty sure all 42RLE's got 3.73s....3.07s with the 42RLE would suck bad. the 42RLE is undergeard from the factory, it actually needs about ~4.27's to turn 31s. 4.88s for 33s, 5.13s for 35s, etc. also not all that good of an auto tranny, shift points suck and it always wants to be in overdrive.

dla 11-08-2011 07:01 PM

Great father daughter project...

1 Attachment(s)
Gave my daughter a 2" BDS lift kit for Christmas last year, here's a link to our install...

Installed BDS 2" lift

At that time it had 30's on it, she's on 33's now. The ride and handling is much better than stock.

kelso1337 11-08-2011 08:20 PM

Cute.

I don't know I've never had issues with driveability with my 2.5" OME on 33's.

Heck, its louder due to tires. But handling is hands down better with my stiffer springs and control arms.
The thing squats going over bumpers and highway driving. A decent pair of rotors and pads up front fixed my brake wobble and I'm a happy guy.

I'm all for upgrading that jeep - but you got to think gears too. My 3.07s on 33's SUCKED! Literally sucked the fuel out of my jeep. On the highway, the jeep wanted to do 140KM per hr. Now that i've done 4.56s I can hold 90KM per hr with no problems.

HanksRide 11-08-2011 08:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matt L (Post 12468916)
Does she really want jeep parts or does Dad?

Man you need to check out my signature block on the 3500 mile road trip. She would rather have jeep parts then to eat. She loves her jeep and does nothing but talk about wanting to fix it up.. She complains all the time about it sitting so low.

I know there are girls that are not into this sort of thing but this one loves deer hunting, 4-wheelin and getting dirty. She is even a pretty good mechanic, changes her own oil and has helped me on several projects on my YJ..

HanksRide 11-08-2011 08:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dla (Post 12469144)
Gave my daughter a 2" BDS lift kit for Christmas last year, here's a link to our install...

Installed BDS 2" lift

At that time it had 30's on it, she's on 33's now. The ride and handling is much better than stock.

Thanks dla, glad to hear about the ride and handling. What gears are you running now and how is the fuel mileage?? Your daughter looks very happy with the results and if you are like me that is what counts..haha

JPNinPA 11-08-2011 09:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HanksRide (Post 12468836)
Driving her TJ and it seems like it floats around the road a bit more than my YJ, I know that is the coil springs doing that so I didn't no how much that would be amplified if I lift it 2.5" plus a little bigger tires.

:2thumbsup:

A TJ shouldn't float around on the road. I'd check that out. I felt floating from steering boxes going, alignment issues or tall wide tires. But not on a stock set up in good condition.

As for the lift you could go BB 2-2.5 in and still maintain a good ride.

PS For mpg 2-2.5 shouldn't effect it much. Tire width, thread and speed (mph) would be a bigger effect.

dla 11-08-2011 09:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HanksRide (Post 12469924)
Thanks dla, glad to hear about the ride and handling. What gears are you running now and how is the fuel mileage?? Your daughter looks very happy with the results and if you are like me that is what counts..haha

At this point she still has the stock 3.07's. With the 3-speed auto, highway mileage is about 14-15 mpg and drops to 12 around town. Runs around 2,250rpms at 65 mph. Not going to win any drag races, but she is a pretty laid back driver.

She is in a work study program at college and is saving to have it regeared before she comes home next summer.

This is her first semester away, I sometimes think she misses her Jeep more than me! ;)

armyRN 11-08-2011 09:54 PM

If she's just wanting to run 31" tires, this 1" lift might be an option (just throwing it out there for consideration):

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/1-...-lift-1150250/

LiveAndLearn 11-08-2011 09:59 PM

pics of said "daughter" ?

kidding lol

look into Zone Offroad lifts, i did the 3 inch and i love it, and very affordable and easy to install

Steelman 11-09-2011 01:30 AM

Just go with a budget boost (coil spacers) and those 31" tires. There are worse things out there than 3.07 gears with 31" tires. I ran that for a while...not a big deal...hardly a notable difference. :thumbsup:

HanksRide 11-09-2011 06:01 PM

http://i428.photobucket.com/albums/q...TYyMy5qcGc.jpg
As you can see it sits really low.. This is when we bought it. The YJ is my baby... :cheers2:

The time now is 01:58 AM.