160 degree thermostat - what's the point? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 160 degree thermostat - what's the point?

SPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!ROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail ANOTHER Rockridge4wd Creation!! Spare Tire Carrier Delete

Unread 10-28-2009, 12:00 PM   #1
tsteiden

160 degree thermostat - what's the point?

Been trying to figure out why my 98 TJ won't get very hot. I thought the thermostat was stuck open, but discovered a 160 degree thermostat installed instead of the (apparently) OEM 192 degree.

I'm going to change it back so I can get some heat, but why was it changed to 160 to begin with? Has this been stealing mileage by running too cool? I'm a little worried about changing to 192 because I may discover why it was changed to begin with. Could it just be a regional thing?

I hate surprises. Ideas? Answers?

tsteiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-28-2009, 12:03 PM   #2
TheBoogieman
Demonic Jeep Freak!

1998 TJ Wrangler 

You should never go below the OEM thermostat temp range.I thought it was 185.Maybe they thought it would make the engine last longer.
Originally Posted by Jeepsr4me View Post
Yeap its your nuts that giving you the trouble here...... Get the right ones
TheBoogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-28-2009, 12:07 PM   #3
GOLENJEEPTJ
Running Secretly Amok!

2002 TJ Wrangler 

OEM is a 195*
GOLENJEEPTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-28-2009, 12:13 PM   #4
JBTJ
JEEPer For Life

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Owner before you probably thought it would help, which it won't. Just put in the 195 degree stat that's what the motor likes. Don't worry about it. It will be fine.
JBTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-28-2009, 12:16 PM   #5
cyberiv
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I thought the purpose of a low temp thermostat in theory was to run the engine a little cooler to slightly increase the power, but that for it to be effective you needed a programmer to let the ecu know...then again i am more familiar with using them in sports car apps, not a jeep...
cyberiv is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-28-2009, 12:16 PM   #6
TheBoogieman
Demonic Jeep Freak!

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOLENJEEPTJ View Post
OEM is a 195*
I stand corrected by you(as usual).I'll be over for Halloween for a visit.
Originally Posted by Jeepsr4me View Post
Yeap its your nuts that giving you the trouble here...... Get the right ones
TheBoogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-28-2009, 01:18 PM   #7
tsteiden

Good answers - you are right - it's 195 - that should warm things up a bit in the cab!
Unread 10-28-2009, 01:31 PM   #8
spdnjoe
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I run a 180 in mine. A 180 thermostat still lets the engine run around 195 which the computer is still happy with and keeps me at around 1/4 on the temp gauge. I just like the fact that if things start to heat up, I have a little more cushion before it goes into the red. Plus, I still have plenty of heat. just my .02
spdnjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-28-2009, 01:39 PM   #9
Wheelin98TJ
JEEP FREAK

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by spdnjoe View Post
I run a 180 in mine. A 180 thermostat still lets the engine run around 195 which the computer is still happy with and keeps me at around 1/4 on the temp gauge. I just like the fact that if things start to heat up, I have a little more cushion before it goes into the red. Plus, I still have plenty of heat. just my .02
I think you would be better off with the factory recommended 195*.

MPG will be better.

Emissions will be better.

Your oil will stay cleaner.
Wheelin98TJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-28-2009, 01:42 PM   #10
fishinjeeper
2001 TJ Wrangler 

my neighbor was telling me how he took them out of this vehicles so they wouldn't over heat. i laughed...
Unread 10-28-2009, 01:44 PM   #11
spdnjoe
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I get 17-19 mpg on the highway and I just passed California emissions 2 weeks ago.
I've done this with every offroad vehicle and tow vehicle I've owned in the last 15-20 years and have never had an issue.
Everyone has there own opinion and views, I'm not saying mine is right or wrong, I'm just telling you what I did to mine and it's fine.
Unread 10-28-2009, 01:45 PM   #12
NotURMailman
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Most likely the t-stat went bad on the PO and he didn't know any better, or let some kid at the parts store talk him into the cooler one.

I drive on the right side, what's wrong with you?

Quote:
Be very careful with the wife mod. Uninstallation can be extremely expensive. Wife mods have been known to take the Jeep and all other mods during the uninstall process. Also, make sure you service your wife mod properly as often as humanly possible. Wife mods not properly serviced may malfunction or uninstall themselves at any time.
NotURMailman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-28-2009, 01:47 PM   #13
Wheelin98TJ
JEEP FREAK

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by spdnjoe View Post
I get 17-19 mpg on the highway and I just passed California emissions 2 weeks ago.
I've done this with every offroad vehicle and tow vehicle I've owned in the last 15-20 years and have never had an issue.
Everyone has there own opinion and views, I'm not saying mine is right or wrong, I'm just telling you what I did to mine and it's fine.
No problem, we disagree on this.

I tried a 180 t-stat in my TJ for some time, but I eventually went back to the 195. I did not see any benefits with the 180 t-stat. It only made things worse for me.
Wheelin98TJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-28-2009, 01:51 PM   #14
spdnjoe
1998 TJ Wrangler 

no worries my friend.
It's all good. The nice thing of a forum is that people can post their opinions and don't have to take things personally. It's just a persons opinion.
Unread 10-28-2009, 02:04 PM   #15
tsteiden

I'm glad to know there are options - If I lived in CA like my fortunate friend, 160 would be a go for me too, but my friend in Michigan says 180 - that makes sense too. I don't really stress the thing too much and not freezing is high on my list here in the midwest so the 195 OEM is probably my choice.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.