15'' or 16'' on the rubi - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 15'' or 16'' on the rubi

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 07-03-2010, 02:44 PM   #1
FAW-CAN-ADIAN
2004 TJ Wrangler 

15'' or 16'' on the rubi

well,im gettin ready to lift the jeep.its an 04 rubicon.im going with a 3"suspension lift for now.bds was the first choice but maybe zone??apperantly these companies are the same??but my question is tires.i was planning on 285/75/16 on my stock moabs but ive been told the will rub without spacers.i dont really want spacers.should i just buy 33/12.5/15 tires and new wheels with a better offset??15" tires are a bit cheaper and they will fit?...i figure i could always sell the moabs and tires.oh...i guess tires would go from load range e to c.better or worse??

FAW-CAN-ADIAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-03-2010, 03:06 PM   #2
TheBoogieman
Demonic Jeep Freak!

1998 TJ Wrangler 

I've done both with wheel spacers and aftermarket wheels with less backspacing.Metric sized tires are much more expensive.RC makes some really good wheel spacers for under $120.It's up to you.
TheBoogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-03-2010, 03:20 PM   #3
TJDaveX
Motorized Toy Collector

2004 TJ Wrangler 

My vote is for 15" wheels and tires. Cheaper, and softer ride with more choices of tires with a "C" load rating.
Plus, you will have no problem selling your Rubi Moab take-offs. They are sought after by owners of Cherocars, Liberty's, YJ's and non-Rubi TJ's. I even bought a set of Rubi Moabs and tires to run in the winter when my Jeep was a daily driver. When I was done with them, I had no problem selling them for what I bought them for.
TJDaveX is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-03-2010, 03:24 PM   #4
VanBCguy
Web Wheeler

1999 WJ 

What about the simple (and VERY cheap) idea of just a steering stop adjustment to prevent rubbing at full turn? Or are you being told they'll rub even at a straight line?
VanBCguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-03-2010, 03:39 PM   #5
FAW-CAN-ADIAN
2004 TJ Wrangler 

actually....i was told the inside sidewall would rub on the rear coil pads.i want to run either a trxus mt or a goodyear mtr.i want something around 33'' tall and around 10.5 or so wide.i honestly dont really like the rubi wheels...just really cant afford wheels but only want to do this once.what are my moabs with new tires worth?
FAW-CAN-ADIAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-03-2010, 03:43 PM   #6
Jerry Bransford
Do it right or not at all

2004 TJ Wrangler 

My '04 Rubicon has 15" aluminum wheels and I would always go for 15" over 16". Tire and wheel choices are far more plentiful and less costly for 15". I would also go for aftermarket 15" wheels before I'd install spacers.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.

Jerry Bransford is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-03-2010, 03:47 PM   #7
VanBCguy
Web Wheeler

1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford View Post
My '04 Rubicon has 15" aluminum wheels and I would always go for 15" over 16". Tire and wheel choices are far more plentiful and less costly for 15". I would also go for aftermarket 15" wheels before I'd install spacers.
Not dismiss anything you're saying Jerry, but both the OP and I being here in BC Canada, so it makes for a different market. Most of the guys I know run 16's. That would make me think that the 16" wheels and 16" tires would be more plentiful up here.

To the OP: where in BC are you?
VanBCguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
wheel , wheel size , rubicon

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.