10 bucks worth of aluminum - Page 6 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 10 bucks worth of aluminum

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineThe Solution to Radius Arm Bind - Meet Lock-N-LoadFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 07-13-2010, 03:25 PM   #76
Bennettj13
Web Wheeler

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Blaine, I plan on doing the testing over two days. 5 runs each day, with the first two counting as cold runs. That work for you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotrod_hooligan View Post
You weren't getting the full braking capability out of those brakes, Just because the tires got noisy, doesn't mean you locked them up. Also you have to come to a complete stop for it to count, other wise you didn't stop, just ask any cop.

You might want to bleed your master cylinder like you know you've needed to do for the last 9 months, putting EBC pads and Centric rotors on it doesn't make that go away.
I like how you act like I have never done this before Rod. Every time my tires/brakes come off I test the brakes. Every time. I'm aware the master needs bled, I'm also aware that I have plenty of pedal to feel safe on or off road. And i am well aware of what a full stop is, and when my tires lock up. I'm pretty sure that there us no one better versed in how my jeep drives than myself. Do not attempt to negate what it is that I'm attempting. Sure it will not be the most accurate since there is some squish to the pedal, but it will be much closer than comparing my customized jeep to some regular tj on 35's and stock brakes.

Thanks for playing.

I have two parking cones and a 100 ft tape ready to go. I'll post results tomorrow.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f33/?uid=152304

Rear Currie 4" coils - 190 shipped. (They've been sitting in the back of my Jeep for mock up but won't work out for me.)

Hornblasters Shocker S4 horn set with some extras $210 shipped. (It is not OBA, just an accessory for OBA)

"LCOG" isn't cheap and it certainly isn't easy. If you think so, you are doing it wrong. If you aren't willing to put in the effort, don't label your build "LCOG". You are just a cheap ******bag.

IndyORV- Dick and fart jokes, titties, throttle, flops, beer, tater balls, and good times.
Bennettj13 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-13-2010, 03:50 PM   #77
Bennettj13
Web Wheeler

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Stupid iPhone.

Rear Currie 4" coils - 190 shipped. (They've been sitting in the back of my Jeep for mock up but won't work out for me.)

Hornblasters Shocker S4 horn set with some extras $210 shipped. (It is not OBA, just an accessory for OBA)

"LCOG" isn't cheap and it certainly isn't easy. If you think so, you are doing it wrong. If you aren't willing to put in the effort, don't label your build "LCOG". You are just a cheap ******bag.

IndyORV- Dick and fart jokes, titties, throttle, flops, beer, tater balls, and good times.
Unread 07-13-2010, 04:19 PM   #78
lostsheep
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
a few minutes of design work, a few hours of machine time, and you wind up with this. What is it?

A few HOURS of machine time?.........you need a more efficient machinist
lostsheep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-13-2010, 04:36 PM   #79
Savvy
Vendor

2014 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostsheep View Post
A few HOURS of machine time?.........you need a more efficient machinist
That includes programming and a few copies. If you can do that we'll send it you way!

Email me for the fastest response: gman@savvyoffroad.com

Like us on Facebook FACEBOOK.COM/SAVVYOFFROAD

The ONLY place to get Savvy/Currie Lifts and parts! The best price and support!

Now with Lifetime Guarantee Lifetime Guarantee - See Here

http://www.savvyoffroad.com

Unlimited Black Hole - The Ultimate LJ

Savvy Spartan 2004 LJ

2014 JKU Test Mule

2003 TJ Project Unrolled
2003 TJ Project Click Here
Savvy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-13-2010, 04:47 PM   #80
lostsheep
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
That includes programming and a few copies. If you can do that we'll send it you way!
I see: a center drill, two (?) drills, a 1/4" EM, a chamfer mill, 2 ops and a set up plate with 4 tapped holes. I guess with SU and programming a couple hours is about right. I hope the cycle time is 10 to 20 minutes and not hours.
lostsheep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-13-2010, 04:56 PM   #81
JeepFund
1982 CJ7 

Quote:
I see: a center drill, two (?) drills, a 1/4" EM, a chamfer mill, 2 ops and a set up plate with 4 tapped holes. I guess with SU and programming a couple hours is about right. I hope the cycle time is 10 to 20 minutes and not hours.
Yeah... I could see it taking about that long, seeing how small the end mill he used was. Probably would've gone faster with a larger one, but there might've been a reason he didn't want to change tooling.

ΞlllllllΞ
JeepFund is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-13-2010, 05:22 PM   #82
lumpster
Web Wheeler

2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepFund View Post
Yeah... I could see it taking about that long, seeing how small the end mill he used was. Probably would've gone faster with a larger one, but there might've been a reason he didn't want to change tooling.
maybe he didnt have a bullnose that was larger. although i think i would invest in one with a larger radius.

Want to STOP?

Edited
lumpster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-13-2010, 07:10 PM   #83
Bennettj13
Web Wheeler

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
The best you will be able to get is an average of 5 50-0 stops before you overheat the pads and rotors and start skewing things out of whack.

And no, brake physics do not surprise me at all. Folks perceptions of distance very often surprise me when they are accurate.

If you do back to back stops with something like a cone, mailbox, or fence post marking your initial application of the brakes to take the reaction time out of the equation, I'll be very surprised if you can get 5 stops that all end within the length of a Jeep bumper to bumper or about 13'.

If you can get an average of right at 100' from 50-0 I'll be astounded.

To give you a comparison, the Z06 everyone is talking about is about 1/2 the average stopping distance from 60-0 of 170 feet. That's in a vehicle with a very low COG, low weight transfer, large grippy tires, and huge brakes.

Good luck, I'm really looking forward to your results.
I already called Blaine, and I wasn't going to post, since there are so many e-tards out there who want to try to flame people, but I figure there are still some people here who are intelligent enough to see past the idiots. Here's what the results of day one was. I'll do them again tomorrow, same time, same way.

For reference, last time I weighed my Jeep, it was 4850lbs. I'll weigh it again tomorrow when I'm in town since I've done a few things since then. I'm running JK Rubicon axles with stock JK calipers, centric premium rotors/ebc yellowstuff pads in the front, stock JK pads/rotors in the back. I'm running 35x12.50 Pitbull Rocker Radials. I did this with my spare in the back and with as close to a full tank of gas as I cared to manage. I doubt a gallon (if that) will matter that much.

Using a stationary object (gas line vent), my wife and I measured 100' and set a cone. For each of 5 runs, I approached at a steady 60mph until reaching the starting point, then I stood on the brakes. My tires barely locked up, in fact, they only really locked up at the very end of each run. At any rate, we measured from the cone marking 100' in either direction that was needed.

Run 1: 149' (Cold)
Run 2: 136' (Cold)
Run 3: 99'
Run 4: 93'
Run 5: 89'

Average of 113.2'

As I said, I'll post tomorrow accordingly.

Unread 07-13-2010, 07:14 PM   #84
Bennettj13
Web Wheeler

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Oh, and once I bleed my master cylinder, I'll do it again if anyone is interested. I'm sure it will only improve.

Unread 07-13-2010, 09:21 PM   #85
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Pick it apart all you like, the hours reference was more about the fact that I dropped off the parts on Thursday Morning about 10 am and after a short discussion over and about what I needed, I left. I got a call the next day at noon telling me they were done and the only reason I didn't pick up 3 more sets is because they had no more material.

I didn't drop off a drawing, I dropped off a knuckle, caliper/bracket, unit bearing and rotor with an air pressure line adapter. We clamped the caliper in place, oriented it for the high point on the bleed screw and THEN he started generating the program and drawing in CAD to make the part. If you can do all that in a couple of hours, we really need to talk.

As far as the FEW MINUTES of design time, that's based on 100's and 100's of hours of me designing brake kits and adapting them onto knuckles they were never supposed to be on. Sure it's a few minutes after you've done 20 or 30 different versions, but the first one was long and difficult to get there. Now I can do them in my sleep, but it wasn't always this easy.

My turn around time was slightly more than 24 hours, if you can consistently beat or equal that, send me some contact info and we'll hook you up. Oh, I needed some extended swaybar links for the Savvy Unlimited. I called him at 5 last evening, asked for a pair of 7.5" links, 3/4" 304 or 308 hex bar stock, 1/2-20 RH RH, and got a call at 10 this AM telling me they were done. They are now installed on the rig.

Besides all that, when was the last time you saw an adapter with that many offsets and the spacers all in one piece?
Unread 07-14-2010, 07:46 AM   #86
JeepFund
1982 CJ7 

What was the idea behind making these aluminum? Corrosion resistance?

ΞlllllllΞ
JeepFund is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-14-2010, 08:29 AM   #87
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepFund View Post
What was the idea behind making these aluminum? Corrosion resistance?
It was the right material for the job. Steel takes way too long to machine if you're trying to do it in one piece.
Unread 07-14-2010, 09:08 AM   #88
RockRodHooligan
Web Wheeler

1996 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
It was the right material for the job. Steel takes way too long to machine if you're trying to do it in one piece.
I imagine the heat dissipating properties of aluminum wouldn't be a bad thing either.

89 MJ: Project: Ground up - Sold
01 XJ: Project: Silverback - Totaled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex View Post
Penis inches...
Good god man. Indyorv :rofl: d**k and fart jokes. :rofl:
RockRodHooligan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-14-2010, 02:04 PM   #89
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotrod_hooligan View Post
I imagine the heat dissipating properties of aluminum wouldn't be a bad thing either.
Heat dissipation in that area is not needed and any benefit would be less than negligible.
Unread 07-14-2010, 03:01 PM   #90
RockRodHooligan
Web Wheeler

1996 XJ Cherokee 

Lol, yeah now that I think about it, it wouldn't really matter.

89 MJ: Project: Ground up - Sold
01 XJ: Project: Silverback - Totaled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex View Post
Penis inches...
Good god man. Indyorv :rofl: d**k and fart jokes. :rofl:
RockRodHooligan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
aluminum , brake caliper bracket , centeric premium calipers , savvy , vanco super 17

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.