1 ton TJ Buildup - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 1 ton TJ Buildup

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineNEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%

Unread 04-02-2007, 08:52 AM   #1
tweba99
2008 JK Wrangler 

1 ton TJ Buildup

I started this buildup about 3 weeks ago and I have been collecting parts over the last couple months and working on it here and there. I have a mixture of KORE brackets and my own brackets. I am going to be going with a single triangulated 4 link rear with adjustable uppers at the frame so I can go from 85%-115% antisquat. In the front I am going with a 3 link with panhard and the upper adjustable on the frame end to get 95%-135% antidive. This is going to be a slow process but I hope to be done by the end of May.

Specs are going to be:
Ford 79' HP 60 front with 5.13's and a full case detroit
14 bolt rear with 5.13's and a detroit and disc brakes
39.5x14x17 IROKS on H2 wheels
Stretching the wheelbas to around 104"

Here are some pics:
Here is my HP60 I got for the front after I cleaned it up a bit with a wire wheel.

I checked my clearance before I pulled the D30 out so I could adjust my bumpstops accordingly to fit the 39.5's because I am going to keep the RE 4.5's springs up front so my COG is low as possible. I want about 4-5" of uptravel and as much downtravel as I can get.

Here are the H2's that I picked up from Roger Dabbs Hummer:

The 5.13's and detroit are in the 60 and ready to go (thanks to my GOOD BUDDY, master fabricator, Joseph) 8-)

My jeep looks a little silly without the axles under it:

The first thing I did was slide the 60 under the front to get it centered and my spring pads located. I am NOT stretching the front out at this time because I am not going full hydro and I don't want to worry about moving the steering box so I had to offset the springs on the spring pads to keep the axle tucked under like it was stock:

I got the driverside spring pad/LCA mount made and burnt together. As you can see I made it so it slides over the top of the cast spring perch on the 60 so I didn't have to weld onto the cast. It takes forever making your own brackets with a 4 1/2 cut off wheel/grinder.

On the axle:

tweba99 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-02-2007, 08:54 AM   #2
tweba99
2008 JK Wrangler 

I got my stock TJ springs out (which I will probabably be using in the rear) to check and see how everything was fitting up:

I then burnt in the passenger side LCA mount and primed:

I scored a 14 bolt FF with 5.13's, disc brakes and welded over in Pirate4x4 that I will be getting in about 2 weeks so I just need to put a detroit in it and get to mocking up my rear suspension.

I finished up cutting the crusher corners and turned them into comp cut corners and the wiring for my LED's all cleaned up. This actually took a lot longer than expected and alot more cut off wheels than I imangined since I had ALOT of cutting to do on 3/16" steel with an angle grinder. I still need to take them off and plug weld the screw holes that are there to attach your fender flares too and fill in where the gas cap went on the driver side and then get them painted up and put back on.

I also got my fuel cell in and plumbed. I had to jump the Jeep (dead battery) but after I got it cranked, it ran fine and I had no leaks 8-) .

I got the king pins installed and the knuckles bolted up on the 60. I have all of my brakes parts, bearings, seals, lugs and u-joints to bolt the spindle and hub up also and that will be done this week. Then the BIG rolling tires go on so I can start mocking up my suspension next weekend.

The 2x2x.25 square tubing is sitting in my garage and my bushings and flex joints are in from K.O.R.E. but EVERYBODY is on backorder for Johnny joints with the 1.25 shank so i am still waiting on those.

Unread 04-02-2007, 08:55 AM   #3
tweba99
2008 JK Wrangler 

The first thing I did this weekend was build another truss for the 60. I had one built out of 2.5" square tubing but it would hit my oil pan a full compression so I had to scratch that and build one of out some of the 2" square tubing that I bought for my control arms. I got the truss made up and burned in which will be used for my upper link for my 3 link front.

Then I got my front control arms cut down (still a little long) and my fixed ins burnt in. I am going with bushings and JJ's (still on backorder) on the lowers and a flex joint and JJ on my front upper.

I cut my "moveable axle stand" down so I could put in the RE springs I am going to be running up front so I could get it at ride height and start getting all of my measurements and the angle for the adjustable upper mount on the frame.

I started cutting through some 6"x1/4" flat bar I got and made my upper frame mount that goes on the driver side. It will slide over the frame and be welded from the outside and inside of the frame. I took the idea from the poly performance brackets. I got it all cut out and mocked up and burnt it all in.

Pretty much all I can do now on my front end is mock up my trackbar mount and get my steering set into place to see how far I can push the axle forward without moving the steering box. I can get all of my lengths for my control arms but that is it until I get my thread inserts in and JJ's which will hopefully be here in the next 2 weeks. When the come in, I can finish the lowers and get the axle end mount for my upper link mocked in and my 14 bolt will be here by then and I can get started on the rear.
Unread 04-02-2007, 09:09 AM   #4
1BadJeepX06
2000 TJ Wrangler 

WOW... I am dyin' to see the finished product.. Nice build up man..

DH
Unread 04-02-2007, 09:12 AM   #5
JeepRocks86
Some Call me RockDog

2003 TJ Wrangler 

looks good
My TJ Build Thread.
www.kifourwheelers.com
For Sale:
TJ Rear Dana 44 shaftsfor sale
3 11"& 2 13" BBCS shocks

JeepRocks86 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-02-2007, 09:16 AM   #6
stathunter

Wow.......nice job. I can barely change my oil without issues. You rock!

2004 [B]Black X[/B] w/ RE LA 37" SSR's, etc etc [url]http://www.je-ep.com/[/url]

[COLOR="Blue"]In Michigan? Call Jim from [url]www.Jeepin-Customizing.com[/url][/COLOR]
"Do or do not, there is no try" Yoda
stathunter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-02-2007, 09:26 AM   #7
silvergreentj
2007 JK Wrangler 

nice tweba, subscribed..i'm liking more and more buildups over here, the only reason i travel to pirate is for fab advice and new buildup ideas. i'm loving the ideas of more builds over here without the flaming..lol

Low Life-87 slammed e30
silvergreentj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-02-2007, 09:35 AM   #8
tweba99
2008 JK Wrangler 

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by highrolleron33s
nice tweba, subscribed..i'm liking more and more buildups over here, the only reason i travel to pirate is for fab advice and new buildup ideas. i'm loving the ideas of more builds over here without the flaming..lol
Yeah, I have noticed alot of good buildups going on over here too lately and that is why I decided to post mine. I also use Pirate for advice and ideas.
Unread 04-02-2007, 10:03 AM   #9
raskull
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Lookin good, nice to see some build ups here instead of Pirate

Pirate's cool though, but I'm scared to post there with my jeep being so small.

Raskull - Metallic Silver '03 Jeep TJ Sport (pic)
http://myjeeptj.com <- Write-ups on mods/maintenance/trips and a video/image gallery
Custom front bumper build
Custom rockers build
My build thread
raskull is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-02-2007, 10:09 AM   #10
tommaho
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Looks great, keep us updated.
Unread 04-02-2007, 10:10 AM   #11
Xlr8n
1986 TJ Wrangler 

Nice. Looks like it will be able to handle whatever you want to throw at it. Love it all but the Hummer wheels!
Xlr8n is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-02-2007, 10:43 AM   #12
tweba99
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xlr8n
Nice. Looks like it will be able to handle whatever you want to throw at it. Love it all but the Hummer wheels!
Well, I am not rich by any means and doing all of this work with a drill, angle grinder, triangle and an arc welder.
I wanted some 17" wheels and I can't afford beadlocks right now so I got some H2's for $100 (all 4).
Unread 04-02-2007, 10:57 AM   #13
Bhelliom
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Can't wait to see the rest. Looks like its going to be a great vehicle
[COLOR="DarkRed"]Old Guy Jeep Club #1026[/COLOR]
[COLOR="Red"]Canadian[/COLOR] [COLOR="White"]Jeep[/COLOR] [COLOR="Red"]Club[/COLOR] [COLOR="White"]Member[/COLOR][COLOR="Red"]#1026[/COLOR]

[QUOTE=schitzangiggles] But since you are barely able to vote, are younger than some of my socks and as inteligent as the fecal droppings from a retarded Chimpanzee you go right ahead and keep on keepin on. [/QUOTE] - Posted in response to a moron wheeling illegally.
Bhelliom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-02-2007, 11:24 AM   #14
bandit222

wow great job tweba99 it's threads like these that motivate me to go house hunting so i can get out of my apartment parking lot and into a space to mod the hell out of my jeep!!
Unread 04-02-2007, 11:36 AM   #15
90SaharaJeep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tweba99
Well, I am not rich by any means and doing all of this work with a drill, angle grinder, triangle and an arc welder.
I wanted some 17" wheels and I can't afford beadlocks right now so I got some H2's for $100 (all 4).
Nice job there!

The H2 wheels are a very common application for this type of set up. My buddy is doing a D60 front 14 bolt rear with H2 wheels as well.
90SaharaJeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.