1" H&R - Bilstein Suspension Lift - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 1" H&R - Bilstein Suspension Lift

Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955XHD Heavy-Duty Hood Latches for JK and TJ available at OcoFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 01-07-2011, 04:18 AM   #1
mattttt25
2003 TJ Wrangler 

1" H&R - Bilstein Suspension Lift

Couple months ago, I asked if a 1" suspension lift existed.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/do...66/index4.html

While many said no or recommended other mods, I received some great info which led me to H&R 1" springs paired with Bilstein 5100 shocks. Over the Thanksgiving weekend, I purchased a set of H&R 1" progressive springs (part # 52107) and Bilstein BE5-785-HO and BE-784-HO shocks. I had planned to do the install myself, but with work, cold weather, and other interests, I decided to let the local 4x4 shop have at it. Took them 3 hrs and then off to the alignment shop.

Picked up the Jeep yesterday. After approx 10 miles of driving, I would say the ride is great. PO had installed Edelbrock shocks with stock springs. I was pretty sure one of the rear shocks was bad and the overall ride was very soft. I have a much more firm ride now, but when I hit bad pavement, I can feel the suspension system doing it's job. I need to obviously drive it more to give a better evaluation, but first impressions were very positive. As expected and planned for, no vibes at any speed.

So did I get any lift? Measuring in the dark last night, it appears I gained 1.25" in the front and .75" in the rear. I'll confirm those measurements again once I have some light. While I only have a soft top, I do have a back seat, spare, and the back was loaded with the old springs and shocks. I thought my Jeep was pretty level at stock, but after the new gear was installed, it still seems level. So maybe the difference in lifting heights helped me. Who knows.

Can you tell a difference? I can. It's subtle, but just enough for my liking. I think it's just enough to make the 31s look proper. I'm happy.

I know this sucks without pictures. I promise to post some once I have light and some time. So for now, here is the only pic I have prior to the work being performed.

Special thanks to Fargo and Hustler905 for helping me find and match the H&R and Bilstein parts.

mattttt25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-07-2011, 06:33 AM   #2
TheBoogieman
Demonic Jeep Freak!

1998 TJ Wrangler 

What some people will do to get an extra inch.
TheBoogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-07-2011, 08:13 AM   #3
hustler905
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Good to hear you like it. It's not just the 1" (give or take) lift, the Jeep probably handles cornering and rough roads a lot better.

hustler905 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-07-2011, 09:20 AM   #4
armyRN
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Awesome! I'm glad it worked out for you; it looks sharp even before the lift - I'm sure it looks even better afterwards. It's nice to have an after-action report.

Are the springs a progressive action-type spring?

So how much did it cost you for the springs and shocks (just curious)?
armyRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-07-2011, 09:23 AM   #5
Fargo
2005 LJ Wrangler 

I'm glad you are happy with the way it rides. I look forward to seeing the after picture.
2005 Rubicon Unlimited Sahara Limited Edition #41
6spd manual

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
...there's very little that is more permanent than a temporary solution
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oman Jeep
Go with quality and cry once. Go cheap and cry often. Take your pick ;)
LJ Owners Group member #110
Fargo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-08-2011, 03:46 AM   #6
mattttt25
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I measured again yesterday and confirmed 1.25" front and a hair shy of 1" rear. And it does ride great, but I want to drive it awhile and give a better report in the future.

I think shocks and springs cost me approx $500, maybe a little less.

My research leads me to believe all H&R springs are progressive. In appearance, the ends of the springs turned into themselves and the diameter varied. I thought that was an indication of being progressive, but maybe I'm wrong.

In the end, I accomplished my goal. Replaced my suspension components with high end parts, got a great ride, and got a little lift along the way.
Unread 01-08-2011, 05:24 AM   #7
WEPIII
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Dude, I am checking this page constantly to see if you have posted a pic!!
You gotta get at least one on here!!

But seriously, I am very interested in this.
WEPIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-08-2011, 06:36 AM   #8
jlsalani

2004 TJ Wrangler 

please post a picture soon... I have an 04 TJ and will be putting a new set of BFG 31's with some black wheels on in the next week or so. I have also been poking around for a 1" lift, just enough to help with the added tire dia, but keep the ride good as this is my daily driver. Were you able to get the springs online or did you have a local store??
jlsalani is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-08-2011, 10:22 AM   #9
mattttt25
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Sorry fellas, I'm out of town and won't be able to post any pictures until Sunday or Monday at the earliest.

I bought the springs and shocks online, with some discounts on black Friday.
Unread 01-09-2011, 02:38 PM   #10
mattttt25
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Pics coming...

But quick question- I just noticed that the shop installed the front and rear shocks with the boot up. Almost positive it was the other way around with the Edelbrocks. Any concern?
Unread 01-15-2011, 12:25 PM   #11
private

Ok, I've looked through both threads and even found them on the manufactures website but, where can we buy them?
Unread 01-15-2011, 01:17 PM   #12
Neil F.
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by private View Post
Ok, I've looked through both threads and even found them on the manufactures website but, where can we buy them?
Do you put "H&R 52107" into Google? You'll find lots of retailers.
Neil F. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-15-2011, 01:28 PM   #13
private

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil F. View Post
Do you put "H&R 52107" into Google? You'll find lots of retailers.
Yep, finally found a good site and a reasonable price.

http://store.allsprings.com/jeep-wra...7-05-p930.aspx
Unread 01-16-2011, 06:46 AM   #14
mattttt25
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I bought the H&R springs from TireRack for $222.

Bilsteins were purchased from AJO for $284.

Concerning installation of the shocks, front and rears were installed with the boot up, which was opposite from my previous shocks. I spoke to AJO, who told me if Bilstein was readable, they were installed correctly. I didn't like that answer and called Bilstein directly. They told me boot up for these shocks and application.

Sorry, will eventually get those pics up.
Unread 01-16-2011, 07:02 AM   #15
2jhanna
Web Wheeler
2002 TJ Wrangler 

If have looked into these springs and on several sites they ate listed as a "lowering spring". Anyone know, what's up with this ??

Also, matttt25, any update on ride quality and would you go this route again ? did it give you what you were looking for ?

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.