06 Wrangler unlimited shifts hard from 1st to 2nd - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 06 Wrangler unlimited shifts hard from 1st to 2nd

Save 17.76% for the 4th of july with ruffstuff specialtiesLubeLocker clearance sale on D35 and C8.25" gasketsRough Country Lift Kits and Parts!

Unread 07-27-2011, 12:53 PM   #1
tina091981
2006 TJ Wrangler 

06 Wrangler unlimited shifts hard from 1st to 2nd

I have an 06 wrangler unlimited it had 69000 miles on it about 3 days ago it started to shift HARD from 1 to 2. It stops after I have driven it for a few minutes. I had my transmission gasket done two years (36848) ago and they changed the fluid but not the filter. Any clue what it may be??

tina091981 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-27-2011, 12:59 PM   #2
biffgnar
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tina091981 View Post
Any clue what it may be??
Hmm . . . typical 42RLE behavior maybe? Have you checked the fluid level and color recently?
Unread 07-27-2011, 12:59 PM   #3
srfnfly227
2006 LJ Wrangler 

I am assuming that you have the 6-speed manual???

I also have a 2006 Unlimited, but only have 35k miles on it. I have always felt that first to second was a rough shift. It has just never felt like it wanted to go in to gear. I had a dealership look at it within the first few months that I had it (I bought it new) and they said it was shifting normal. Since then I have read a lot of reports of others having the same problem. It seems that it is just this transmission, which is also in the 2005 model. Luckily I have the Rubicon so I just start in second most of the time.

If yours suddenly got worse, there may be a problem. How many miles do you have since the last fluid change?

My Build Thread
srfnfly227 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-27-2011, 01:03 PM   #4
BYuen
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by srfnfly227 View Post

I also have a 2006 Unlimited, but only have 35k miles on it. I have always felt that first to second was a rough shift. It has just never felt like it wanted to go in to gear. I had a dealership look at it within the first few months that I had it (I bought it new) and they said it was shifting normal. Since then I have read a lot of reports of others having the same problem. It seems that it is just this transmission, which is also in the 2005 model. Luckily I have the Rubicon so I just start in second most of the time.

If yours suddenly got worse, there may be a problem. How many miles do you have since the last fluid change?
6-spd wouldn't have a filter. He's probably referring to the notorious 42RLE.
BYuen is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-27-2011, 01:06 PM   #5
tina091981
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by srfnfly227 View Post

Its an auto its my drive around jeep neven been offroad. its been about 34000 sence my last fluid change.
tina091981 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-27-2011, 02:11 PM   #6
Brainwashed2566
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Please help us by filling out your profile. And: why would you change the fluid on an auto without changing the filter???? You would only saved a few bucks in exchange for many headaches.

Anyways, automatic transmission fluid is a strong detergent, and autos do not like small foreign particles floating around because they can clog fluid passages. Maybe the new fluid kicked around some of the foreign particles from the old filter, making the shifts harder?? Just a thought. Otherwise it could be the bands are bad, servos, pumps, yada yada yada
Brainwashed2566 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-27-2011, 02:57 PM   #7
Malinois
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brainwashed2566 View Post
Please help us by filling out your profile. And: why would you change the fluid on an auto without changing the filter???? You would only saved a few bucks in exchange for many headaches.

Anyways, automatic transmission fluid is a strong detergent, and autos do not like small foreign particles floating around because they can clog fluid passages. Maybe the new fluid kicked around some of the foreign particles from the old filter, making the shifts harder?? Just a thought. Otherwise it could be the bands are bad, servos, pumps, yada yada yada
This is my post i just couldnt log back in under that name:
I didnt the jeep dealer in Az did I would have been happy to pay what ever.
I went to the shop today and they sad bad temp sensor and ???? they said i need to bring it to a tranny shop and have them look at it.
Malinois is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-27-2011, 08:45 PM   #8
gcdaz
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Interesting... I have the same model and transmission and bought the Jeep used with about 55,000 miles on it. It's shifted like that since I bought it. It got better for awhile after I replaced the speedo gear with one that matched the tires, but then regressed after a few weeks. Also got better for awhile after I re-geared. Now it's a mixed bag. Sometimes a hard shift, sometimes not. Seems to not like it if I am not accelerating moderately during the shift. I'm just living with it, but would be interested to know if it indicates a problem.
gcdaz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-27-2011, 09:39 PM   #9
lope

2005 TJ Wrangler 

I went through this about a month ago after cleaning the IAC and throttle body. It would rev up pretty good in 1st, then shift really harsh into 2nd. You could really feel it even to the point it lunged so bad I wouldn't drive it for fear of tearing up the transmission or U-joints or something.

I took it to a good transmission shop in my area to check it out and all they wound up having to do was hook up to the computer and do some re-programming. It's shifted great ever since and they didn't even charge me for it! Have no clue if yours could be something like this but I just thought I'd throw it out there. Good luck!
lope is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-27-2011, 11:35 PM   #10
Brainwashed2566
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malinois View Post
This is my post i just couldnt log back in under that name:
I didnt the jeep dealer in Az did I would have been happy to pay what ever.
I went to the shop today and they sad bad temp sensor and ???? they said i need to bring it to a tranny shop and have them look at it.
Could of been refering to the IAC? I am not sure.

First thing/easiest thing to do is check fluid levels, engine at normal operating temp, go thru the entire gear range (allowing a few seconds pause in each gear) end back up at park and check the fluid. It can't be too low OR too high.

If it's low, then there you go.

Next, I would change the fluid and filter anyways, 30K on fluid and X?? on filter sounds like it is about time. If that solves it then yay.

If your still stuck in a rut after that, its off to a good trans shop

(at least, this is what I would do)
Unread 08-02-2011, 07:50 PM   #11
Malinois
2006 TJ Wrangler 

it was a bad tranny sensor got the jeep back today runs well.
Unread 08-02-2011, 09:32 PM   #12
lope

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Good to hear you got it going!
lope is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-02-2011, 10:21 PM   #13
Brainwashed2566
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malinois View Post
it was a bad tranny sensor got the jeep back today runs well.
Could you be any more specific? What sensor specifically? I'm curious now
Unread 08-03-2011, 09:30 AM   #14
Malinois
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brainwashed2566 View Post
Could you be any more specific? What sensor specifically? I'm curious now
It was a bad heat temp tranny sensor it was reading 1000 + they did new filter and changes the fluid. total was around 200.00 and a week to do ( very very slow shopr)
Unread 08-03-2011, 10:26 AM   #15
aslack99
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Mine has been doing the exact same thing right after I drive it for the first time after sitting a little while. I have disconnected the battery and this seems to cure it for the time being.Well see.Second time I have had this happen.Does anyone know where on the transmission the sensor actually is or where to get a new one?

Last edited by aslack99; 08-03-2011 at 10:33 AM.. Reason: Added question
aslack99 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.