06 Rubicon Speedo Bouncing - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 06 Rubicon Speedo Bouncing

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitTHE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15/16″ Big Brake Kit w/BlaFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 02-06-2014, 02:29 PM   #1
LRod
2006 TJ Wrangler 

06 Rubicon Speedo Bouncing

Been going over "Bouncing Speedo" in Search and haven't come up with one solution to my problem, more like ideas of what it could be, like crank position sensor, speed sensor, wheel sensor, loose wires, dirty elect. connections, frayed wires and none for a 06 TJ. My speedo bounces around 40+ mph and faster. Any body with a similar problem?

LRod is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-06-2014, 04:30 PM   #2
CharlieHo
Get Savvy

2006 TJ Wrangler 

I, don't have a problem with mine, but, I remember reading something in my JB Conversions SS SYE about that.

Check that the sensor on you TC output housing is not loose or something dumb.
I have the ability to spell correctly, it's just that the autocorrect on my iPad will not permit it.
CharlieHo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-06-2014, 05:27 PM   #3
LRod
2006 TJ Wrangler 

thanks for the reply Charlie I've messed with just about everything except changing out the cluster circuit board, so I guess that's the next step. Although it may be a combination of circumstances??
Unread 02-06-2014, 09:21 PM   #4
JPNinPA
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Check this

http://www.stu-offroad.com/engine/speedo/speed1.htm
Unread 02-06-2014, 09:41 PM   #5
bondosgto
2006 LJ Wrangler 

If you have a rubi, you have an electronic speed sensor I do believe. So I would check out the blue monkey set-up.
bondosgto is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-06-2014, 10:23 PM   #6
LRod
2006 TJ Wrangler 

I have a 06 Rubicon with an electronic sensor, it different than the one shown. I didn't want to make this a long story but... about a year ago, the pin that holds the "Tone" ring in place on the output shaft popped out of place and got between the ring and sensor. It dented and pushed the sensor out of the housing and blew ATF under the jeep. When I got home I pulled the tailcone and replaced the pin with the same tone ring. It all worked great till about a week ago when the needle started bouncing. The tone ring has a nick in it, but has worked ever since. I've cleaned the contacts on the cluster board plugs, and "Silver" screws that connect the board to the actual gauges, switched speed sensor on the tranny, reset computer, checked for 5v at the socket by the speed sensor, cleaned the grounding connections under the LH speaker cover, so far. It has gotten better , in that it doesn't start bouncing till it gets to 40mph. Have I missed anything other than replacing the gauge cluster circuit board?
Unread 02-07-2014, 06:25 AM   #7
JPNinPA
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bondosgto View Post
If you have a rubi, you have an electronic speed sensor I do believe. So I would check out the blue monkey set-up.
True! Didn't catch that.
Unread 02-07-2014, 12:09 PM   #8
LRod
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bondosgto View Post
"Blue Monkey" ?????

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.