Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

06 lj transmission/ecu

934 views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  LRod 
#1 ·
hey I have a pretty new to me 2006 lj. has about 126k on it and just started the hard shift from 1st to second and then clears up until it sits for a while and then starts over. I can unplug my computer and it fixes it for several weeks and then it starts again.

anyways I have searched and only find real old threads from when these jeeps where new. does anybody know the definitive fox for this problem. can I buy a superchips programmer or something to change the shift points or have dealer reflash the ECU. or any other ideas.

thanks
chris

#5 ·
its much more of an 06 thing and not so much of an 05 thing. we got lucky with the gf's and had a buddies shop update the firmware. many have not had the same luck but trying to find a decent ECM replacement is not as easy as it seems.

the simple fix is to let the jeep warm up for a couple minutes before driving

#6 ·
I have an '05 LJ and I'm going through it right now. I have been in limp mode with the CEL on for 2 weeks waiting on a PCM from the stealership that cost me $1500. I couldn't find a rebuilt one and I don't have time to send mine off for rebuild. I can clear the light but it comes back on immediately. I am going to keep my original PCM and have it rebuilt as a spare.

#7 ·
I opened up my PCM and cleaned some corrosion off some contacts inside it and it ran great ... for a few days. So I replaced the PCM, Im on my third one now and it ran just ok, till I had to smog it, then I got a CEL. I eventually replaced the cam and got no problems after about 1000 miles, but after 2-3 years of screwing around im not too confident in Chrysler products. I'd like to get rid of this P.O.S. but its paid for and I dont need much just to get around town these days.

#8 ·
OK I read on another forum about this issue. If you have replaced your OPDA with the crown unit then chances are the cam position sensor that came with it is aftermarket as well and Chrysler products dont like aftermarket sensors. I replaced mine with an OEM sensor and it immediately started throwing codes and shifting hard with extended cranks every morning. So what gives? Well I read on that other forum that if you put a washer between the sensor mount and the OPDA it will increase the distance between the sensor and the rotator causing less interference in the communication between the two, whatever that means. I did that 3 days ago, reset my computer and my CEL hasn't come on yet, no extended cranks and no more limp mode. I'm hoping I didn't pay $1500 for a new PCM when the fix was only a 10 cent washer. I will keep y'all posted on whether or not my issues return.

#9 ·
Give it a try! you got nothing to lose?
I'm quite biased and relate every drivetrain issue to the cam gear wear. If the timing is off a little it seems to screw up everything. I had the same hard shifting problems till i changed PCM's then I got CEL and not smog ready O2 sensors? I've got pictures of my cam gear wear, just can't post them.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.