'05 Unlimited Rubicon Build up... For those of you that are interested - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > '05 Unlimited Rubicon Build up... For those of you that are interested

Huge Soft top SaleRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits BLACK FRIDAY SPECIALS!! You asked, we deliver!

Unread 01-23-2005, 05:52 AM   #1
jasonh

'05 Unlimited Rubicon Build up... For those of you that are interested

I know a lot of people are waiting to get their Unlimited Rubicon and will be doing work on them as soon as they arrive. So, I wanted to give you soon to be owners a little teaser. My dad just got his and we spent this weekend on the first stage of the build up. Here's what we've done so far...

-OME HD Springs
-Goodyear MT/R 285/75r16
-Tera .75" Front Spring Spacers
-OME 10mm Rear Spring Packers x2 each side (One may be removed after a week or tow, but we didn't want a sagging butt with the heavy swing-a-way and spare)
-MX-6 Adjustable Shocks
-Warn Diff. Guards Front and Rear
-Tera Flex Adjustable Front Track Bar
-OME Rear Track Bar Relocation Bracket
-Nth* Oil Pan Skid
-Cobra all in the Mic CB Radio
-Wilson Super-Flex 4' Antenna mounted to a FireStik Low Profile mount on the right rear quarter panel
-RE Rear Upper Adjustable Control Arms
-JKS Quicker Disconnects
-Optima Blue Top
-Painless Wiring 7 Circuit Accessory Fuse Block
-Garvin Wilderness Racks Swing-a-way

The goal was to build his new Jeep without compromising its street ability for daily driver use but allow it to keep up with my TJ on most trails. I think we were able to accomplish that fairly well. The ride and handling has not really changed from the factory set up and there wasn't much in the way of power loss from the larger tires. The CV Shaft was not required with just the lift. We were able to adjust out the slight vibe with the control arms. Once next weekends build is done we will have the a CV shaft installed because of the higher angles caused by the TT. Next weekend we will be installing the following items:

-Nth* 1.25" Drop TT
-Nth* Auto Trans Skid
-Tom Wood's Rubicon CV Adapter Plate
-Tom Wood's CV Shaft
-Hanson Rubicon Front Bumper and Fair-Lead Mount
-Off Road Only Fair-Lead
-Superwinch EPi 9.0
-Master-pull Synthetic Winch Line

Let me know if you guys have any questions. Photos are available at:

http://homepage.mac.com/jason_alicia...toAlbum46.html

I'll be posting more photos Sunday evening. We're going wheeling in a couple of hours!!!

If anyone is one is intrested in the parts taken off during the build up, including the fresh Goodyear MT/R's, they can be seen on my eBay acutions:

http://motors.search.ebay.com/_W0QQs...epQ5fnQ5fstuff

97' TJ Sport[list][*]4.0L, 5 Speed, Tera 4:1 & 2 Low, RE 4.5" Super-Flex, 34" Trxus MT's, 4.56 Gears, ARB's Front and Rear, HS9500 - when all else fails + Lots of other stuff...[/list][url=http://homepage.mac.com/jason_alicia/Jeep][u]Our TJ's Home Page[/u][/url]
jasonh is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-23-2005, 09:57 AM   #2
Wildbill
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Looks Great jasonh,

I love the Unl Rubi.....The wife does too. We just got her a KJ less than a year ago so I'll have to wait awhile 'cause of finances. Looks like i may be buying a used one in a couple of years.

Wildbill

[COLOR=blue]Blue Jeep Club Member #23[/COLOR]

'92 [COLOR=blue]Blue[/COLOR] YJ 4.0 HO, 5spd.
'04 [COLOR=silver]Bright Silver[/COLOR] Liberty Sport 4X4 3.7L Stock for now
[URL]www.peaceriverjeepers.com[/URL]

What do a Divorce in Alabama, A Tornado in Kansas and a Hurricane in Florida all have in common?.....No matter what someone is fixin' to lose a trailer
Wildbill is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-23-2005, 10:31 AM   #3
SoonerYJ
2011 JK Wrangler 

Sweet ! My wife wants an Unlimited, maybe I should look at the Rubi version when we go.

2011 Flame Red Rubicon (2-Door) with every option.
SoonerYJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-23-2005, 10:46 AM   #4
Copper RS

Just priced the shipping charges on the MTR's, $176 sent to ohio.

buildup looks great though, nice job.
Copper RS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-23-2005, 11:23 AM   #5
barneybadase

How do you like the auto trans on the unl rubi? How about with the bigger tires, still gets going pretty good?

2004 F350 Lariat Powerstroke [COLOR=Blue]Blue[/COLOR]/[COLOR=SandyBrown]Tan[/COLOR] Edge 4.5" 35" BFG's
barneybadase is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-23-2005, 09:43 PM   #6
rytrac

Hi when you put the 285/75/16 on the rubi rims did you need to run spacers with the rims to stop the tires rubing on the front control arms and rear spring perches?.
rytrac is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-24-2005, 12:02 AM   #7
rubi-soho

you will rub with that tire at full tuck....even the stockies rub when discoed.....
but getting rid of that shovel is the best thing....you are going to love that rubi!!
Unread 01-24-2005, 12:53 AM   #8
Kris B Krunch
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Awsome man, I'd love to be able to buy a new Jeep and do all that work to it right away.
btw, the blue top optima you got, that's the deep cycle version right? If so, do you have the part number for it? A couple places I've asked about buying a deep cylcle blue top, they don't know wich one to get, and just hope it fits if they bring them in. Thanks in advance, the stock batery on my 97 is still holding out, but just barely I think.
Warn xd9000i, 35x12.50 MT/R's, SYE/CV driveshaft.
8.8 with 4.56's front and back with an Aussie Locker up front. Poison Spyder HD steering upgrade.
Kris B Krunch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-24-2005, 09:04 PM   #9
jasonh

Quote:
Originally Posted by barneybadase
How do you like the auto trans on the unl rubi? How about with the bigger tires, still gets going pretty good?
The change in power was noticeable but pulling steep grades at 65 was still obtainable. The auto trans has been excellent so far.

Quote:
Hi when you put the 285/75/16 on the rubi rims did you need to run spacers with the rims to stop the tires rubing on the front control arms and rear spring perches?.
No spacers were needed. There was no rubbing at all on the front or rear. The rear perch had about .5" of clearance and there was no rubbing at full stuff.

Quote:
btw, the blue top optima you got, that's the deep cycle version right?
It is the deep cycle. I don't know the part number. It was purchased from CostCo for $143. All the CostCo's I've been to carry them.

The rest of the photos are at:
http://homepage.mac.com/jason_alicia...toAlbum47.html

Sorry it took so long to get back to everyone. Let me know if you have any other questions or I missed someone's question.

Jason
97' TJ Sport[list][*]4.0L, 5 Speed, Tera 4:1 & 2 Low, RE 4.5" Super-Flex, 34" Trxus MT's, 4.56 Gears, ARB's Front and Rear, HS9500 - when all else fails + Lots of other stuff...[/list][url=http://homepage.mac.com/jason_alicia/Jeep][u]Our TJ's Home Page[/u][/url]
Unread 02-19-2005, 11:50 PM   #10
jasonh

Well the second stage of the build up is done. Below is a list of all the items we installed in the last two days:

-Nth* 1.25" Drop TT
-Nth* Auto Trans Skid
-Tom Wood's Rubicon CV Adapter Plate
-Tom Wood's CV Shaft
-Hanson Rubicon Front Bumper and Fair-Lead Mount
-Off Road Only Fair-Lead
-Superwinch EPi 9.0
-Master-pull Synthetic Winch Line
-Military Style Battery Terminals
-Hella FF55 Driving lights to replace the factory fog lights

We completed the install on everything listed above in about 14 hours of work over two days. Here's a list of the few issues we ran into:

During the last weekend of the build up my dad found out that he measured the drive shaft wrong and the new Tom Wood shaft was too long by an inch. I called Tom and he volunteered to shorten and return the shaft for NO COST!!
The TT was a pain in the *** to install because the instructions sucked but everything went very well. The only adjustment we had to make after the install was to lower the fan shroud about 1/2".
The auto trans skid instructions were even worse then the ones that came with the TT because they appeared to be for a prototype skid that didn't match the one we were installing. There also appeared to be a steel reinforcement plate on the top of the drivers side frame rail of this Unlimited that was not accounted for in the design of the mounting brackets so we had to get some longer bolts and washers to adjust for the thicker frame rail.
The bumper and winch together weigh in a 165 pounds and it looks totally massive (The front end dropped 5/8" with it's install). I have NO doubt in the strength of the bumper, it's just a little too big for me, but my dad likes it. Another thing I didn't like was the fact that the drop winch deck required the winch to be moved about 5" from the grill, unlike my Warn winch plate that sets the winch right against the grill.

The Off Road Only Fair-Lead, Superwinch EPi 9.0 and MasterPull Winch Line are all VERY nice. I was extremely impressed with the winch line compared to the steel winch cable on my HS9500. I can't wait to replace my cable with a synthetic line.

More photos of the completed project are available at the following link:

http://homepage.mac.com/jason_alicia...toAlbum48.html

We're going wheeling tomorrow morning and I'll post some action photos when I get back. If anyone has any questions please let me know.

Thanks, Jason
Unread 02-20-2005, 06:13 AM   #11
snookwheel

Very Nice!
Unread 02-20-2005, 12:29 PM   #12
under_psi

no doubt that thing is going to be very nice when you get r done...

link to the synthetic line?
What's coming through is alive. What's holding up is a mirror. But what's singing songs is a snake looking to turn this piss to wine. They're both totally void of hate, but killing me just the same. The snake behind me hisses what my damage could have been. My blood before me begs meopen up my heart again. And I feel this coming over like a storm again. considerately. Venomous voice, tempts me, drains me, bleeds me, leaves me cracked and empty. Drags me down like some sweet gravity.
under_psi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-20-2005, 01:17 PM   #13
TEAM

Hello,
Your Rubicon Unlimited looks great! I just moved up from a TJ to one myself, My only Beef with the Rubicon/Rubicon Unlimited is I think it would look so much better with Regular Diamond plated rocker panels instead of the Black ones the put on. Especially on a Black one like yours and mine.
TEAM is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-20-2005, 01:22 PM   #14
KY TJ

Good lookin ultd. Glad to see you are doing it right.
Unread 02-20-2005, 01:49 PM   #15
bondo303

Looks great so far. I have been looking at that winch for a while now. Let us know how it holds up after a few good uses. It seems almost too good to pass up at the price I see it advertised for. Thanks.

48 CJ2A
bondo303 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.