Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

05 TJ Unlimited - Soft Top Help

833 views 19 replies 6 participants last post by  thewerd 
#1 ·
Hi Everyone,

I've Googled and researched this enough to the point where I think I've confused myself with too much information, and am looking for a bit of help.

I've just purchased an 05 TJ Unlimited that has an absolutely mangled bikini top on it that needs to be replaced and was hoping I could be directed towards a soft top to purchase, and what (if) I need a kit or whatever is necessary to install it. I'm not sure how long I'll have the Jeep, so I'm looking for somewhere in the middle of the road cost wise as shipping/duty here turns a mid-price one in the US into a top-of-the-line one, cost wise after it gets here.

The issue I have is that I am on a small island in the Caribbean, and there is nothing available locally, maybe a handful (at best) of other LJ's. I have access to order from the US and import it here, but if I order the wrong one, I am basically stuck with it as the duty/shipping to get it back would be murderous. If I am missing hardware/kit to install it, I'll have to re-order and also get hosed with more fees.

Would love some advice or guidance or suggestions.

Thanks in advance!

See less See more
#2 ·
Do you have all of the hardware on the Jeep?
- 2 bow knuckle brackets on your roll bar
- 2 tailgate bar brackets on the tub on either side of thee tailgate
- do you have door surrounds?
- do you have a tailgate bar?

If you answered "no" to all of those questions you need a complete kit with everything.

#4 ·
thewerd said:
Hi Everyone, I've Googled and researched this enough to the point where I think I've confused myself with too much information, and am looking for a bit of help. I've just purchased an 05 TJ Unlimited that has an absolutely mangled bikini top on it that needs to be replaced and was hoping I could be directed towards a soft top to purchase, and what (if) I need a kit or whatever is necessary to install it. I'm not sure how long I'll have the Jeep, so I'm looking for somewhere in the middle of the road cost wise as shipping/duty here turns a mid-price one in the US into a top-of-the-line one, cost wise after it gets here. The issue I have is that I am on a small island in the Caribbean, and there is nothing available locally, maybe a handful (at best) of other LJ's. I have access to order from the US and import it here, but if I order the wrong one, I am basically stuck with it as the duty/shipping to get it back would be murderous. If I am missing hardware/kit to install it, I'll have to re-order and also get hosed with more fees. Would love some advice or guidance or suggestions. Thanks in advance!
I feel your pain. I'm one a little island in Asia myself. Post some photos of what you have and we can help out. If that bikini top replaced a hard top you Lilly need an all inclusive top kit like the Bestop NX or you could go with a less expensive frameless top.

#6 · (Edited)
Appreciate it, thank you!

I'm not really sure what exactly I'm looking for, so I took a whole bunch of random pictures. I was wrong initially, it is a soft top and not a bikini top.

Let me know if these pictures are good enough to provide a suggestion on what to buy. My guess is all the hardware is probably junk, since he had it attached with bungie cords!

Attachments

#5 ·
whatever you do make sure you get a quality top . OEM was Sailcloth and IMO are the quietest and warmest.

Not sure if you can by OEM Sailcloth, but I know Besttop makes a Sailcloth version. Make sure you have ALL the other parts needed to mount it.

#8 ·
thewerd said:
Appreciate it, thank you! I'm not really sure what exactly I'm looking for, so I took a whole bunch of random pictures. I was wrong initially, it is a soft top and not a bikini top. Let me know if these pictures are good enough to provide a suggestion on what to buy. My guess is all the hardware is probably junk, since he had it attached with bungie cords!
Yikes lol! Your photos didn't take for some reason. But I can post a few of the essential brackets etc. that you'll need to have in place to simply install a new soft top canvas which would be dramatically cheaper than buying and importing an entire top kit (canvas & frame). Hold on, I'll snap some photos for you this afternoon.

#10 ·
thewerd said:
Pictures should hopefully be there now!
Ok yea I can see them. That's definitely a full top you have there. Looks like all the brackets are there also. On the other hand, they look pretty beat up. For instance the small brackets that mount to the top rim of the tub on either side of the tailgate look like they had the rear window cross bar torn out of them. You could probably tap them back down into shape and reuse them but I personally would want to replace them. You can find used sets on EBay pretty cheap. On a side note, these look a little beat up to. Make sure they're not too far gone to support the new canvas. Automotive mirror Automotive tire Automotive lighting Bicycle handlebar Motor vehicle

Is the windshield bracket installed? I can't see from the photos.

EDIT: by "rear window cross bar" I was referring to the tailgate bar mention in the next post. Just for the sake of clarity ;-)

#11 ·
Looks like a pretty complete top (if you have all windows). Door surrounds, bows, roll bar brackets and tailgate brackets. I didn't see the tailgate bar but they may still be on the rear window (if you have it). Those screws look RUSSSSTY though on the box to the roll bar.

#13 ·
Knuckelhead said:
The rear window support brackets for the cross bar are bent...
Yea those are the ones I was referring to. For reference here's a shot of mine. What they should look like. Bag Luggage and bags Trunk Gas Bumper
Hood Automotive tire Automotive lighting Automotive design Vehicle
The good news is that eBay is peppered with all these odds and ends and international shipping shouldn't be too expensive for him due to their small size. The fact that he has the bows is a major plus. I had to order the complete top with the bows, canvas, and all the hardware. Luckily I was able to order it while I was visiting the states and carry it back on the plane with me. I had to pay a $100 oversized penalty but that was chump change compared to what I would have paid for air freight, and import tax & duties.

#19 ·
Yea those are the ones I was referring to. For reference here's a shot of mine. What they should look like. View attachment 3507033 View attachment 3507041 The good news is that eBay is peppered with all these odds and ends and international shipping shouldn't be too expensive for him due to their small size. The fact that he has the bows is a major plus. I had to order the complete top with the bows, canvas, and all the hardware. Luckily I was able to order it while I was visiting the states and carry it back on the plane with me. I had to pay a $100 oversized penalty but that was chump change compared to what I would have paid for air freight, and import tax & duties.
I have an extra pair of these in my box

#16 ·
It is attached with bungees because the rail belts on the corners are shot.
Everything looks pretty beaten and worn.
I assume you don't have a tailgate bar?
If that were me I'd get a complete kit with almost everything (your door surrounds are probably fine).

#18 ·
I just bought a new khaki colored OEM sail cloth soft top for my LJ because I was missing the rear and side zip out windows. If you still have your windows and they are in good shape and only need the sail cloth top then let me know and we can work something out. I am leaving for the weekend so I probably wont have access to my computer but I will send you a PM with my number if you are interested.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.